Author Topic: Constructive Critism for CFO on Flatland Unlimited Contest  (Read 27863 times)

Prasheel

Re: Constructive Critism for CFO on Flatland Unlimited Contest
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2009, 03:51:54 PM »
Well now that everyone on the other side is probably going to hold this against me for the rest of eternity...

No one has addressed the pro purse mess up.  I talked to most pros about this, and they couldn't have cared less really, but still, I think its pretty crazy that this was only brought up about a week before the contest.

Also the scheduling.  We can't work it around street?  That's fine, but we should at least keep to our own schedule that we had made up.  Contest starts at "eleven" every year, but it really never actually starts until two to three hours after that.  I think I heard Prashant say "ten more minutes" a million times, haha.

Also, I can't stress this enough...RED BULL.  They sponsored the street event, I'm sure they'd be interested in helping out the flatland event as well.

I noticed one thing no one complained about yet, was the judging, almost every contest people start freaking out about the judging being rigged one way or another or whatever.  But that doesn't seem to have happened at this contest.  So that's pretty cool, haha.

The street riders have a fully catered meal place with fruit bowls and different food and such.  Something like this would be awesome, even if it just cost a couple bucks or something, this would be such a better option then paying 7 bucks for a pizza and a pop.

The street riders also have MASSIVE grand stands, there as to be a way we can fit in more bleachers around the flatland area.

I'll think of more later.

Offline AdamJ

• Forkglider
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 03:58:06 PM »
Man, I'm not sure I even want to get into any of this......

First off, I had a good time and appreciate the efforts everyone made to have the contest.

The floor was very slick, but I've just learned to accept that all contests these days have slick floors. Indy was slick, ATL jam was slick, voodoo was slick, this was slick, jomopro looks slick - not the greatest for people who like to spin like me, but I think the most important thing is practice time. I appreciate the fact that we have friday to get used to the floor.

I know it has nothing to do with the CFO, but paying $12 to park each day sucks. That's 36 to park plus entre fee....

I enjoyed watching Chase ride, maybe the demo should have a couple of people riding taking turns.

Again, not sure if its anything to do with CFO, but having flat and street running at the same time is probably not the best. Just observation.

I like the 3min runs, I actually was running out of time. It gives you time to recover too. That being said, I don't care if it's battle or not, I just don't like the 1min runs where you have time to do two tricks and if you miss one, your done. Personal opinion though.

I like the different judging criteria, but I think variety means front and backwheel tricks. Sorry I had to poke at that just a little.

We found 4 dollar a day parking like a 3 minute walk away on sunday.  Definitely parkign there all weekend next year if i go...

TJ Perry

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 04:17:03 PM »

I enjoyed Chase's Demo, the first time I got to See It at the bike show, I like the pin drop effect, that's him, you have to appreciate the person for who they are, that is what is Flatland. If anything I hope that is the most important thing I've learned during the years I've known you all and this ART.

It's not art. It's grown men riding bikes.

Prasheel

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 04:18:48 PM »

I enjoyed Chase's Demo, the first time I got to See It at the bike show, I like the pin drop effect, that's him, you have to appreciate the person for who they are, that is what is Flatland. If anything I hope that is the most important thing I've learned during the years I've known you all and this ART.

It's not art. It's grown men riding bikes.

I'm with TJ on this one, haha, flatlanders need to take themselves way less seriously.  The whole "art" thing just comes off as us being conceded like we think so highly of what we do.  But in the end, we're just riding little bikes.

TJ Perry

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »
Seriously. It can be art for YOU or whoever is riding. Calling it and pursuing  riding as if it were art is a personal decision, but it's a sport first and foremost.

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 04:24:27 PM »
Everyone is entitled to their own point of view.

Art can be seen/created in anything.  
Even the grunts you make when taking a shiit.

Any freestyle sport is a form of art to me.

We should think highly of what we do.
It is an extremely rare talent.  

TJ Perry

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »

It's only extremely rare because we put it up on a f*cking pedestal and act like only a select few can do it when ANYONE can get good at this sport if they just put the time and effort into it. The only reason people get good at it in the first place is because of extraordinary dedication, NOT talent. Talent does not exist in my opinion, only good work ethic.

The reason top athletes are where they are in ANY discipline, whether it be flatland, basketball, pool, swimming... f*ck. ANYTHING. Is hard work. Nothing else. 

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 04:39:02 PM »

It's only extremely rare because we put it up on a f*cking pedestal and act like only a select few can do it when ANYONE can get good at this sport if they just put the time and effort into it. The only reason people get good at it in the first place is because of extraordinary dedication, NOT talent. Talent does not exist in my opinion, only good work ethic.

The reason top athletes are where they are in ANY discipline, whether it be flatland, basketball, pool, swimming... f*ck. ANYTHING. Is hard work. Nothing else. 

You are right.
Anyone can get good at ANYTHING if they put the time and effort into it.
To me talent is something that can be developed.

I'm just saying it's something very original in the world we should be proud to be a part of.

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 04:40:43 PM »
I think I'll bow out of this one at the two minute mark. Alex & others, I never said that I took ALL of what you guys said as an attack--hell I never even said that about what you said about the demo (I just think it was mean).

As for the 'old school thinking' comment... wtf

Scott-- The entire event and CFO is comprised of and run by Flatlanders; you didn't know this?

I'm starting to understand why the Ten Pack guys pulled out of doing this and we had to pick up the slack. I'm not feeling very much like being part of the Ontario flatland scene at all right now. The unthoughtfulness of some of what is posted in this thread is astounding.
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

TJ Perry

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »
I'm starting to understand why the Ten Pack guys pulled out of doing this and we had to pick up the slack. I'm not feeling very much like being part of the Ontario flatland scene at all right now. The unthoughtfulness of some of what is posted in this thread is astounding.

And I'm starting to understand why the North American scene is a joke right now. This isn't an attack on you either.

Prasheel

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2009, 05:04:28 PM »
I know you never said you took it as an attack, but your post was extremely negative not only to my thoughts, but about the fact that I had a bandana in my pocket, and that I hugged my friend after his run. (Sidenote: everyone go look at my facebook profile picture, hahahah)

I really and honestly think showcasing Chase's riding is a great idea, I just think it could use some more excitement and fun.  I have thanked CFO and everyone who comes out to these events countless number of times.  I don't take what they do for granted, in my first post I probably should have also said things I thought that were very well done, but I didn't.  

Trust me, I'm thankful for everything that OSD and Chris Pergentile have done for flatland in Ontario the past ten years, countless hamjams, Toronto contests...I probably wouldn't even still be riding if it weren't for them.

Remember, TenPack pulled out of street as well, and I never rode in any of the TenPack contests, but I did spectate them for a couple of years.  Remember when that guy announced and made fun of everyone pretty much?  Hahaha.

I don't know how many times I have to say this, I appreciate everything that gets done for this event, but I see more potential that could be reached.  I'm not saying "run the event like this", I'm just throwing some ideas out there that I think might help the event get bigger and better.

Offline JoeKickass

• Backpacker
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2009, 05:22:22 PM »
The only priority Flatlanders should have, is trying to generate more Flatlanders. Period.  Once you have an audience and a market, then you get everything else, sponsors, real pro purse, fantastic venues, etc.    Without it, Flatland limps along as usual. 

All this bickering over insignificance is meaningless and completely counterproductive.

Don't get me wrong, putting on events/competitions is important and healthy for the sport, and those who participate in doing so deserve mad props.  God knows it ain't easy.

But please, focus...

Go make more Flatlanders.  That's it.
"You can ride brakeless with brakes." -- Scott O

Offline stvnlpsly

• GF Inhabitant
  • Quest BMX
    • Quest BMX
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »
I just want to add that I didn't comment with the intention to bash CFO or say anything negative about the event.  If nothing changed it would still be a grea event.  I consider the guys who run CFO and FU5 friends and hope they consider me the same. So I don't think Chris or Jamie or Dan took my comments as negative, at least I hope not. 

My only response to some of the craziness that has followed is that I do believe that you can have another class.

You have the same amount of riders and if for one class (amateur or beginner) you have a shorter time, then you actually shorten the contest.  Say out of the 27 riders, 10 competed in beginner, you could run this part earlier say 11 on saturday, do 2 one minute runs with option for last trick and you are done after only about 40 minutes.  The expert contest didn't even start till like 1230ish and went so long you had to have finals on sunday.  I think you could have had finals on saturday and been done at a decent time and then had more "free riding".... Anyways, I say this every year so sorry like sounding like a broken record.  Cfo rocks and I had a blast and anyone who hasn't been to toronto for this needs to come out!  Don't let this "constructive criticism" influence you to not show next year... It really is a blast and a very well run contest!  Best contest this year in my opinion!!

quad_simmons

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2009, 05:48:19 PM »

Offline flatlanddad

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2009, 06:32:26 PM »
I have an issue with the times. 

From the CFO website:
Saturday: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm Amateur Qualifiers
Saturday: 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm Amateur Finals

Why did this not happen?  The qualifiiers did not start until at least 1:30 and therefore there was no time to do the finals on Saturday.  As a parent of a rider, I want to see the whole amateur event.  If I had not been able to attend on Sunday, I would've been thoroughly disappointed to not see the finals. 

I think the judging is very well done but why can they not follow an agenda that they set???  To hear Prashant (who is great) say "In 10 minutes we'll be starting" and 45 minutes later nothing happens, is very discouraging for any fans that might be sitting waiting to see a contest begin.  I am sure people leave and don't come back.  I understand it is about the riders and they get more practice time but then set the agenda so it starts at 1:30. 

Brandon, since you are the only CFO member replying, can you explain the time change? 

We have always loved this contest and do appreciate all that you do.