Author Topic: Tips on clear coating  (Read 3379 times)

Offline hateit

• Funky Chicken
Tips on clear coating
« on: March 04, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »
I know there are some experienced painters on this forum.
I'm looking for tips on how to apply clear coat from a spray can correctly. Have tried a few different methods but still having trouble perfecting it. Have read that you should apply several thin coats  but I seem to get a rough pitted finish. Have appllied wetter thicker coats and have achieved the mirror finish I desire but also comes the problems of running etc. how about applying thin coats at first than a wetter coat to finnish.
Amy tips much appreciated and also which brand of clear coat is recommended?

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Tips on clear coating
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:09:48 AM »
 If you put the can in a bowl of hot water for a while it might spray better

Spraypaint cans are really annoying when it comes to this- especially clear coat..I dont even use clear coat usually..Cuz its spraypaint & it usually just gets scratched to the metal anyways

If anything a bunch of light coats and then later on just wet sand & polish it out..

Best spraypaint Imo duplicolor engine enamel..@ any auto store..Dries rock hard...

Offline diesel1ne

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 06:05:28 PM »
Small | Large

theres all you need to know
something he didnt mention, dotn just go into it so close, dude stay back allitle, and dont paint it, try more of dusting it, get 2 cans of clear then, cuz wen u dust , u need more paint, but it comes out way better  :beer:
wait till i get my bike together =D..just wait

Budz

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 09:31:38 AM »
that paint job came out really nice, but who paints their damn XBOX?! ^_^
that dude needs to find a woman or sumthin.haha. ;)

TJ Perry

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »

It's actually a pretty lucrative thing to do in your spare time. I see people charging an upwards of 150$ to do paintjobs like that.

Budz

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 12:42:03 PM »

It's actually a pretty lucrative thing to do in your spare time. I see people charging an upwards of 150$ to do paintjobs like that.
on an xbox?! i mean, come on, is just an xbox! :rolleyes:
all i care about is what the game graphics look like, not what the console looks like.
maybe more than just the dude painting it need a woman in their lives. ^_^ or sumthin.
u would never catch me at a friends house sweatin how kool his xbox console looks. thats just ME tho. guess if the xbox wasnt expensive enough to begin with............. :rolleyes:

quad_simmons

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 05:27:08 PM »

all i care about is what the game graphics look like, not what the console looks like.
maybe more than just the dude painting it need a woman in their lives. ^_^ or sumthin.
u would never catch me at a friends house sweatin how kool his xbox console looks. thats just ME tho. guess if the xbox wasnt expensive enough to begin with............. :rolleyes:

Paint a car?!
All I care about is that it gets me to work

Paint A bike?!
All I care about is that I can ride it

Paint anything?!
All I care about...

S....T.....F....U!!
spudz

Budz

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 08:58:20 PM »

Paint a car?!

Paint A bike?!

Paint anything?!
All I care about...

S....T.....F....U!!
spudz

"OKAYY"!....."WHAT"!? ^_^

seriously, sure, paint ur bike or paint ur car, cuz people will see it and u want them to go, "ooooh, nice bike", or "whoa, nice car dude"!
but its a damn XBOX!!! who cares! obviously u and TJ DO care what ur xboxes look like. so kool for u. :mellow: :beer: more power to ya.
but why ya gettin all defensive and tellin me to stfu just cuz i have an opinion about it?!
that was pretty lame dude.
my old playstation2 is old and beat to hell. its got cup rings on it from being used as a coaster, and has a light layer of dust on it, but it works just as good as if it had a 150 bean paint job. i dont think any of my friends would care if i spent that much money to paint it either. theyd probably tell me i need to get out more or sumthin. ^_^

i did give the dude who painted the xbox props on a nice paint job. find some comfort in that and quit tellin people to stfu cuz their opinion varies from yours.
i wasnt tryin to be mean against anyone who thinks they need to paint such a thing with such an expensive paint job. i just dont see the point in it, unless maybe u were putting it in a show car or sumthin where crowds of people would be checkin it out and u wanted it to maybe match the interior of the car. i can see that. ;)

"WHAT"!...."OKAYY"!

Offline pulsar

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 12:55:04 AM »
yes a light dusting is the way to go with spray paint, use a bit more.....but better results.

i my experiance with clear coat is it seems to be a weaker paint than most. meaning it chips and scratchs easier than your typical color paint.

perhapps Tim could shed some light on this.

is it clear coat in general?.......is it the application?......is it the type of clear coat?..or all three?

don't paint your xbox.....is this what kids are up to these days?.....funny
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:57:50 AM by pulsar »

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 04:12:41 AM »

Paint a car?!

Paint A bike?!

Paint anything?!
All I care about...

S....T.....F....U!!
spudz

"OKAYY"!....."WHAT"!? ^_^

seriously, sure, paint ur bike or paint ur car, cuz people will see it and u want them to go, "ooooh, nice bike", or "whoa, nice car dude"!
but its a damn XBOX!!! who cares! obviously u and TJ DO care what ur xboxes look like. so kool for u. :mellow: :beer: more power to ya.
but why ya gettin all defensive and tellin me to stfu just cuz i have an opinion about it?!
that was pretty lame dude.
my old playstation2 is old and beat to hell. its got cup rings on it from being used as a coaster, and has a light layer of dust on it, but it works just as good as if it had a 150 bean paint job. i dont think any of my friends would care if i spent that much money to paint it either. theyd probably tell me i need to get out more or sumthin. ^_^

i did give the dude who painted the xbox props on a nice paint job. find some comfort in that and quit tellin people to stfu cuz their opinion varies from yours.
i wasnt tryin to be mean against anyone who thinks they need to paint such a thing with such an expensive paint job. i just dont see the point in it, unless maybe u were putting it in a show car or sumthin where crowds of people would be checkin it out and u wanted it to maybe match the interior of the car. i can see that. ;)

"WHAT"!...."OKAYY"!

HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE....

you have friends?!  ;D ;D :beer: :beer:
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs