Author Topic: Frame Size Based on Height & Weight?  (Read 4196 times)

Offline Esham

• Forkglider
Frame Size Based on Height & Weight?
« on: March 04, 2009, 01:58:48 AM »
Are there any general guidelines on selecting a flatland frame based on your height and weight. I currently own a Dyno Detour which is light with a shorter TT but a long rear end. I also have a S&M Warpig which is heavy with a 19"TT and a short rear end. I am 5'8" and weigh 200lbs. I want an all flat specific bike and a street/flat bike (what I'm using my Warpig for right now). Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Frame Size Based on Height & Weight?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 04:59:45 AM »
No general rule... some tall guys like small frames and some small guys like big frames.

the heavier you are, ride stronger frames i guess... 200+ pound guy isnt going to lst long on a paris for example.

go to a session or two and ride other bikes and see what you like  :beer: :beer:

Welcome to GF
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline 1980sSwagger

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 03:46:53 PM »
I'm 6'1" and over  200 lbs.  I have recently built up a 19.75" Hoffman Stroller.  I can honestly say this is the best frame I have ever ridden.  It feels solid and strong.  I like to be able to bunny hop my flat bike with confidence it won't break.  The size is just right for me.

byke

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »
No general rule... some tall guys like small frames and some small guys like big frames.

the heavier you are, ride stronger frames i guess... 200+ pound guy isnt going to lst long on a paris for example.

go to a session or two and ride other bikes and see what you like  :beer: :beer:

Welcome to GF

I disagree

TJ Perry

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:55:59 PM »

Offline Esham

• Forkglider
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »

I disagree

with... what?

Yes, with what? I like the fact that you are willing to disagree but please give me your opinion on what you think could is correct. What is your opinion on the questions I asked?

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 11:33:13 PM »
I disagree

byke, whenever i see your avatar picture i imagine that that's how you actually look.

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 01:53:48 AM »
 Yo I'm around your height I ridden both 19.5's and 19's before..Id have to say 19 is my favorite ...I actually had a slammer/detour once, I liked it (the headtube was super mellow tho!!)..My friend had a warpig ..Think warpigs were like 19.75 though..

imo it doesn't matter too much ,dont go crazy, dont get a 17.9" ,or a 21"..

19-19.5 is prob the best bet..

Offline Esham

• Forkglider
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 09:55:31 PM »
Thanks AK, and everyone else for their input!

AK, you are right. The headtube on the Detour is super mellow (if you mean weak). I've broken that frame twice doing 180's (once behind the seat tube and once in front of the seat tube). The MFG replace the frame both times at no cost.

You are also correct on the Warpig having a 19.75" TT. I LOVE the Warpig for durability (I've beat the snot out of that frame and it is still straight as an arrow with no dents), but the weight is too much for flatland.

I'm also curious on how people keep from hitting their heels on the rear pegs with such short rear ends on flatland frames. I already hit my heels when pedaling and I also hit my heels on the sprocket when I do Squeekers. (I wear a 10.5 american size shoe).

Offline standard146

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 10:06:07 PM »
Thanks AK, and everyone else for their input!

AK, you are right. The headtube on the Detour is super mellow (if you mean weak). I've broken that frame twice doing 180's (once behind the seat tube and once in front of the seat tube). The MFG replace the frame both times at no cost.

You are also correct on the Warpig having a 19.75" TT. I LOVE the Warpig for durability (I've beat the snot out of that frame and it is still straight as an arrow with no dents), but the weight is too much for flatland.

I'm also curious on how people keep from hitting their heels on the rear pegs with such short rear ends on flatland frames. I already hit my heels when pedaling and I also hit my heels on the sprocket when I do Squeekers. (I wear a 10.5 american size shoe).

short crank arms (160mm) and small sprockets- (28 and under is usually good enough)