Author Topic: Terry Adams Bike Check on Odyssey Site!!!  (Read 24508 times)

Offline Mike Smith

• Forkglider
Re: Terry Adams Bike Check on Odyssey Site!!!
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2009, 06:03:34 AM »
Mike Dood, does this mean you're running Odyssey Barefoot Tires? Maybe have the Leading Edge on the competition? hehe...At least you wouldn't be running AY Bombs sitting in the Skyway Hot Seat!

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2009, 07:31:58 AM »
Mike Dood, does this mean you're running Odyssey Barefoot Tires? Maybe have the Leading Edge on the competition? hehe...At least you wouldn't be running AY Bombs sitting in the Skyway Hot Seat!

lol barefoot tires....  I had a lot of Odyssey stuff I remember in 1988 though :)  Then I look and I still do... :D

Offline ollie

• Backpacker
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2009, 08:14:35 AM »
Those grips look shoefriendly!!

Can i get them from somewhere?

Nice bike!!

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2009, 09:46:06 AM »
I don't understand you guys. I havn't seen an innovative looking frame since.... ever? They all look the same. the KGB connexion looks like the KHE equalibrium which looks like a quamen G8 which sort of resembles a london. The St martin diamond looks just like their class x which looks exactly like a paris which looks like a div with a lower top tube. The tao looked like the federal which looked a lot like the FBM equalibrium, and the S&M sabbath lite. The Ares frame looks exactly the same way it did like 8 years ago with the Ashura only lighter, and that looks just like a GT show with a straight top tube. The homecore looked like a quamen. Venusia like a show. The zion luna, the show.

Christ who cares how it looks as long as it rides well? The Chase bars look just like the Tony bars, but they both look like Phil dolan bars if you're more than 5 feet away.

Visually there isn't much left to do in flatland to make things look more unique. I mean f*ck, even the KHE Unique isn't that unique.

^word.

Flatlanders need to quit crying out for "innovation" and realize that it really only takes a basic double diamond design to get down. Flat companies keep pushing things in unnecessary directions because of all the clamoring for something "new"... and what happens? The stuff gets price dropped after 1 month when the hype dies down, leaving bike retailers reluctant to carry anything flat related. Damn... if there was ever a market that continually undermines its own growth, its flatland riders. Sh*t is tired already people.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2009, 02:29:23 PM »
I don't understand you guys. I havn't seen an innovative looking frame since.... ever? They all look the same. the KGB connexion looks like the KHE equalibrium which looks like a quamen G8 which sort of resembles a london. The St martin diamond looks just like their class x which looks exactly like a paris which looks like a div with a lower top tube. The tao looked like the federal which looked a lot like the FBM equalibrium, and the S&M sabbath lite. The Ares frame looks exactly the same way it did like 8 years ago with the Ashura only lighter, and that looks just like a GT show with a straight top tube. The homecore looked like a quamen. Venusia like a show. The zion luna, the show.

Christ who cares how it looks as long as it rides well? The Chase bars look just like the Tony bars, but they both look like Phil dolan bars if you're more than 5 feet away.

Visually there isn't much left to do in flatland to make things look more unique. I mean f*ck, even the KHE Unique isn't that unique.

Amen!  They all look the same.  I HOPE that companies don't end up making some Frankenbike thing like the MCS Styler from way back in the day, just to be unique looking.  Function please...
"A puppet no more!"

joelweevil

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2009, 03:00:18 PM »
but you are failing to realize that function doesn't sell, fashion does.  ;D
if a company could mix both together without putting the consumer at risk of component failure, we could have a crazy, "pretzle-necta" style frame that wouldn't break. and it would sell.
anyone up for a tall glass of sarcasm?

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »
but you are failing to realize that function doesn't sell, fashion does.  ;D
if a company could mix both together without putting the consumer at risk of component failure, we could have a crazy, "pretzle-necta" style frame that wouldn't break. and it would sell.
anyone up for a tall glass of sarcasm?

Hyper-consumerism everywhere...everyone has to have the latest, greatest...blah, blah, blah.  If I get this frame for $400, I can save 2oz on my ride...only to have it snap in two a weak later!

Oh...off subject.  Yeah, the new Flatware frame looks pretty sweet, and I love most of Odysseys stuff.  Doesn't mean i'm going to run out and drop a bunch of money for it though.
"A puppet no more!"

joelweevil

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »
hyper-consumerism-correct!! and this dumb notion that i have to keep up with the jones's.  i currently run a 2005 fly simple. won't replace it unless it breaks, although i have another frame in the radar to buy and build up as a second bike. my bike was considered a tank by, gulp, the austin crew. but it doesn't bother me, though. i don't feel the need to take any weight off that thing-it feels just right, at 23.3 pounds. in all curiosity, though, i wonder what the new odyssey frames are gonna cost. if they are similar to sunday's prices, that takes it to just under the $400 price point which may be a bit steep for a bunch of people. on the flip side, the terry prototype looks nice...

quad_simmons

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2009, 03:42:48 PM »

I know how it will look like! But I'm not telling anyone here  :wacko:

wow! you've seen the new frame?! you are so cool!
I wish I knew what it looked liked. Now Im sad cause you know and I don't.

Offline sackley85

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2009, 03:54:30 PM »
I don't want to overstep my 'bounds' as a newbie... but look at the success that HB has had with the strowler. Not everyone likes it, but they have 2 diff sized frames with the same basic geo. Along with the fact that it's built to withstand some abuse.

I don't know much, but I think that it's in odyssey's best interest to at least release 2 versions of this frame - one for the "standard" flatlanding market (i.e. short cs's, tt, etc), and another for the larger individuals (like me, haha).

I guess when it comes down to it, if they can cover those 2 demographics the frame would at least cater to a wider range of people.

Basically if the cs's are shorter than 13" i can't ride it, haha. Damn big feet!

Offline stvnlpsly

• GF Inhabitant
  • Quest BMX
    • Quest BMX
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »
I'm guessing a lot of us wil see the chase frame in Toronto in a few weeks!!!

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2009, 04:51:21 PM »
look at the success that HB has had with the strowler.

Given that the frame has been at clearance price everywhere, forever, I'm not thinking it's been much of a "success".  I bought one though.  :)

Offline sackley85

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2009, 06:20:38 PM »

Given that the frame has been at clearance price everywhere, forever, I'm not thinking it's been much of a "success".  I bought one though.  :)

I guess, but they also released the same exact design this year, and from the word on here I don't see many complaints about it... but you're right, the discounted price does say something. I still think, though, that they are going in the right direction by releasing the 2 variations/versions/whatever you want to say...

Offline kabirun

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2009, 06:46:48 PM »
does anyone know what the geo is going to be on that frame?

over 19"? i hope so.

This was on the odyssey page....

The frames current geometry is:

18.90″ TT
11.80″ BB Height
12.48″ Slammed Rear Length
75° Headtube
72° Seattube

f*ck the 12.48 rear end. this is ridiculous!!!  why limit back wheel tricks and force you to run shorter cranks?

and by the way, those measures are the exact same as the batch of ay frames that came in 18.90-- I knew it!!  same everything

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2009, 09:55:11 PM »

I just got one too!  I love it...it's built to last.  I think the price cuts are because it's not fashionable to ride a tank anymore.  It does weigh a lot.  I think it's perfect for me.  I'm not afraid to jump it, wall-ride it, or grind it.  If K Jones had most of his hand in it, I would think he would design a good all around frame.  K Jones was a "rider" first...flatlander second, though everyone remembers him for flat.   Also, Hoffman has been known to keep their prices down.
"A puppet no more!"