Author Topic: PARTS BUDGETING-- PLEASE EVERYONE POST  (Read 7653 times)

g-man

PARTS BUDGETING-- PLEASE EVERYONE POST
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:49:18 PM »
I would really be interested in hearing how everyone plans or doesnt plan for part failure or replacement.
How often do you replace your frame?
Yearly budget?
Spur of the moment buyer?
Parts junkie?
Replace only when broken?

(remember we are all contributing to a single cause of keeping flat afloat in economic turmoil)

Thanks, Gerald

Thanks for posting

Offline condemned bmx

• Deathtrucker
  • yo
Re: PARTS BUDGETING-- PLEASE EVERYONE POST
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:50:24 PM »
well ive got my bike to a point where im happy with it, so now i replace when broken, or if somthing special comes put i might be tempted to buy it, but i dont usual buy what i dont need.....like alot of people do
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:52:01 PM by condemned bmx »
slater

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:10:51 PM »
Well.first Hello G! been a while Bro. Ok,Its no big secret I have a stable of bikes .I got back into riding flat in the middle of this "lightweight"era where everything had to be as light as possible,didn't work for me.I built a 21lb GT SHOW,STUPID light for me.It was at best controlled chaos!So I watched and read the posts of the BIGGER guys on here to see what they had to say about certain parts and frames and went that route.Didn't work out so well either,ended up w/ a sh!tload of parts!So as I'm collecting these parts I'm keeping the better ones for future builds,selling the parts I don't like and trying out certain longer frames cuz as Tweekend put it so well ,"I need some junk in the trunk.So now I'm building bikes that are a lil longer than most in tt and cs.And instead of takin it in the ass w/sales of my Higher priced stuff I keep them and build a new bike w/them.So no budgeting here just expensive trial and error. But in the end its all for function and a splash of good lookin bike.... ;D :beer: :beer: :beer:

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:14:39 PM »
I keep wearables around... cables..pads...bearings...tubes...bla bla. If I put an order in sometimes I just throw in a tube for the hell of it, or some cable lube or whatever.

But I am always tweaking something or cleaning grit off..it only takes 5 min to give a once over and make a little adjustment to the brake or whatever.

I pretty much use something till I need an upgrade or it breaks. I'm not one to buy a new frame or part just cuz it's new and cool. lol

Offline bmx4lif3

• Cliffhanger
  • So-Cal
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 12:09:21 AM »
I have finaly finished my bike, took a year but now its finished....
I only buy parts when they either 1. break, or 2. stuck in a rut and cant find a way out....
that doesnt happen to much... if it does its usaly like new pads, grips, or tires...

Offline indy465

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 12:39:50 AM »
since i bought my stylus's. Ive only need to replace the stock tires with Freq.g(1.75), and one of my stock back pegs broke so i upgraded to st.martin's...and new grips,. everything else is the same, because it hasn't been giving me problems,  BUT i do plan on buying a new frame sometime this year, don't wanna rush tho cause i know that theres some sick frames in the making for this year

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 01:16:54 AM »
 I stockpile parts that I like...I pretty much got a backup for everything..I usually just run it till it breaks...Handlebars and frames though I switch them like 2 times a year for a different feel..I have them lying around though-I don't buy new ones, I just cycle through the ones I have..

Offline dethtrk17

• Deathtrucker
    • MYSPACE
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 02:37:48 AM »
Well I just got a new frame for X-mas and dont plan on putting any used parts on the bike. After some calculations of all the parts im gonna need it will take like $800-$900 to build my first up to date lightweight bike. My wife isnt too happy with it and it kinda makes be quezy to think about the money as well, but in a couple of months ill start buying parts. Every month drop a little for a part or two depending on the price. And it will be fine if it takes 6 to 7 months for it...good parts are expensive. I do already have another bike to ride that is bomb-proof so I have no worries for breaking anything. I also enjoy working on my bikes so I take the time to dial everything in every week or so as well as cleaning it. I will admit though I have been known to buy parts(used)that I really didnt need but am straying away from that....or trying to.

Offline midschool

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 02:58:32 AM »
As far as budgeting, I buy as I go.  Unless a cool looking part comes out or a certian color gets released, then I'll splurge.  Not very often though.
You may be disappointed if you fail but doomed if you never try.  Some people advance through life.  Others remain stagnant and only dream of what they can achieve.  There is a difference between wanting and having, saying and doing.  Don't let those who fear progression keep you down or steal your vision.  Act out on your dreams.  Everything is real and ANYTHING is possible.

Offline JonMack

• Hitchhiker
    • JonMack
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 10:54:23 AM »
I ride a bit of street, a bit of mtb trials, and now a bit of flat, so having 3 bikes gets to be a bit of a pain if one of them breaks, however I usually look at my income and think "can i afford to buy XYZ part this month" if the answer is yes, I'll buy it, if not, then I wont, simple :)

Offline PeterJ

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »
I'm on a budget of 350€ a year.
Only replace parts (when not broken) if budget is over 300.
I'm kinda partsjunky so these standards help me from buying too much stuff.

Offline Sirflatsalot

• Forkglider
  • My new bike
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 11:31:40 AM »
I havent bought parts in a some time becouse I cannot afford to. right now if I part breaks I'll have to fix it the best I can or Cover it in duct tape
I only have this stuff here for the sake of having a signature.
Also stay in school be cool.

Offline Hoya

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 01:58:30 PM »
Ive a complete set up but Im upgrading it since its not really high end (KHE Stylus). First of all Im working toward a colour scheme Im happy with and secondly the cranks will get changed eventually.

Other than that, I buy parts only when they break or are totally worn out. Im on a very, very tight budget so I would say I spend around 50-100$/year. Mostly tires and tubes.

TJ Perry

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 02:28:58 PM »
I have this weird issue with buying stuff, in that once I think about upgrading a certain part (for instance I just bought a macneil seatpost/seat set up) the parts I'm going to replace will magically break in the most awkward way possible. Right before I got the new post and seat, the bolt on my intact stripped out and the rail popped out of my old seat. At the same time. :huh:

If I am out at target or wal mart or something I'll pick up an extra tube just in case. Like clockwork, that day, or the next, the valve stem on the old tube will blow out and I'll have to put the new tube in that wheel. Seriously. This happens all. the. time.

Albes used to have a deal where you could buy 20 tubes for 20 bucks. I never had MORE flats than when I had all those tubes sitting around. Once I got to the last tube though, it lasted me like 6 months. more than any other tube in the whole box.

I never buy new parts unless old ones are very uncomfortable for me, or they are about to break. I think it's absolutely retarded to be changing set ups constantly because you can't get used to a bike with a constant rotation of new parts coming in every few weeks.

Offline stvnlpsly

• GF Inhabitant
  • Quest BMX
    • Quest BMX
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 04:33:13 PM »
I keep some minor parts just in case.  Also some minor things that could help out or be useful if I switch out parts... I have a set of freq gs sitting in my basement.  I have extra brake pads.  Usually I keep tons of cables... Not the housing, just the cable, but I'm on my last one now.  I have about 3 sets of grips also.  I keep little things like bb.  I have an extra mid bb and a euro bb.  Also extra grip tape.

I am an impulse buyer which is kind of like an addiction.  I am trying my hardest to do like tj said and keep continuity with my setup.  I need new bars, but that even isn't neccessary at the moment.