Author Topic: ballsy nankai freecoaster mod  (Read 26686 times)

Budz

Re: ballsy nankai freecoaster mod
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 04:52:34 AM »
Never changed my caged bearings, hub is at least 10 years old, and runs smoother and spins longer than just about any sealed hub or ballsy mod hub Ive seen. I also use thick red sticky car bearing grease. Go figure.  ???
Im working on KenNJ's ballsy modded Nankai, and I gotta say, Im not all that impressed with the ballsy mod. Just re-did another Nankai hub for another friend that had cages...smooth as KY! B)

Offline Ken NJ

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
Thanks again for hooking that up brother! Your the real deal Nankmaster!
flat rules everything around me f.r.e.a.m.

Budz

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 09:49:49 PM »
Ken, Ive never had any sort of issue dialing a Nankai, but sorry to say I tried everything with that ballsy mod and couldnt get it totally dialed to my standards.
Double and triple checked correct bearing size and count...its all good.
One thing that I always check and forget to do this time, is the inside of the hub shell and driver for pitting along the bearing tracks. Although I didnt feel any irregularities while cleaning out the old grease. Gonna give it one more go later tonite and check for pitting. Perhaps one or more of the loose balls is slightly irregular? Dunno, but I guess that could be possible. Scares me to have to keep playing with it due to it having a ti axle. Either way it goes, its still gonna work better than it did when ya handed it to me.
I tested yours with the ballsy against the one I did for Kool with "caged" bearings, and his spins forever and feels smooth like a sealed job, while the ballsy just feels so so.

My review on the ballsy mod...
Completely not worth it. For one it takes twice as long to break down and build back up. Another issue Id have is that if youre out at your spot and gotta work on your hub, it would be very easy to lose a few bearings while fixing it, plus youd have to ad more grease to get the balls to stick back in there and its just messy. At least with caged you can just pop em in and out at will and wouldnt even have to get your hands greasy at the spot. I can see how the ballsy could give you a more solid wheel since youve got more surface contact between the bearings and shell, but other than that, Im still not sold on it. I'll keep my cages.

Offline AlarmedBread

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 10:57:24 PM »
I did this to an old hub that was really bad, now it's smooth as butter. I also used emery cloth to polish all the bearing races. Doubt if there would be much difference between caged or not, but loose bearings are $5 for 100 so that'll keep me rolling along smooth for years to come. Used Moray's red n tacky grease and the bearings will stay put plus you'll not need to change it often.

Curious if your rolling problems are there with the wheel off the bike, or only when you tighten it down in the frame? Especially with a ti axle the dropouts being off even a fraction of a degree will cause problems.

Budz

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 11:26:59 PM »
My rolling issue is with it OFF the bike(not mounted in the dropouts).
If it doesnt feel right off the bike, it may only get worse on the bike.
Im going to break the hub down once more and check all the races, someting I always do but forgot to do this time around. If theres a pit or 2 in any of the races, I will feel better at least knowing why it doesnt roll as nice as I know of capable of getting it to.

-Axle is super straight, in fact straighter than Ive seen any chromo to be lately.
-Spring is pretty much perfect and tab is set on correct side.
-Clutch looked good(but wouldnt affect the roll of the wheel anyway).
-Brake cone is secure.
-Bearings are all in place...nothing shifted out of place(took extra care to assure that)

If there isnt any issues with the races, I'll have to assume there's irregularies in one or more of the loose balls. Maybe slightly off round or not ground properly, in which case I have no way to tell which on(s) it is. They all looked and felt good to the naked eye and hand, but those 2 senses only get u so far.

Offline Ken NJ

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 11:42:41 PM »
i wanted to learn more about how the nank worked and i jacked it up in the process but even if it doesn't meet your standards when it's finished i'll still be happier than a pig in $hit.. that hub hasnt seen this much love since it was conceived..
flat rules everything around me f.r.e.a.m.

Budz

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 10:36:58 AM »
Its fully functional my brutha. I had it mounted on my bike to check for play and there was none.
The wheel spins decent enough when mounted, but just doesnt get to where it keeps rocking back and forth til the valve stem side of the wheel settles on the bottom...You know, like how youre KHE front hub does and how my Nanks usually do. Totally ridable tho...just dont take it apart again for like another 6+ months cuz I'll be in therapy. :P
Hit me up later, let me know whens a good time to pass thru with your wheel...unless u can wait til the wknd cuz I most likely gotta be up in N.JerZ then anyway.