Author Topic: New Autumn Pegs are here!  (Read 11491 times)

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
New Autumn Pegs are here!
« on: October 14, 2008, 02:30:30 AM »
Finally, It's taken a hell of a lot of time, effort, and determination to finally come out with my very own pegs. The idea had started all from a discussion on what a flatland peg should be, I came up with an idea or two and I thought to myself "This is just crazy enough to work". After testing the prototypes at FU4 in Toronto and getting the thumbs up from a lot of riders, amateur and pro alike in terms of the design and the concept, I thought I should just go for it and see what I could make of it.

The end result was my very own design with a unique concept. The pegs come in about eight different combinations.

First theres colour, you can have your choice of Black and Purple for your peg colour!

Then theres the choice of having a Knurled peg vs a peg that has griptape! I can personally supply clear griptape or black griptape at no extra cost. The clear tape on purple pegs look great.

Finally, you can have your choice of aluminum! I've made two batches, most of the pegs are 6061 aluminum, the other smaller batch is 7075 aluminum. I'm personally running 6061 just to test the overall durability of the pegs. In terms of weight, theres a slight difference with the 7075 being a tad lighter, and they're a lot stronger.

Weightwise, I am over the moon. They weight less than Plegs. They're internally machined by the good folks at Solid Bikes to my specs. The ends are thicker than the middle for durability purposes and to prevent against cracking. The replacable endcaps are press fitted and are solid as a rock when in. When you want to take em out, CAREFULLY punch them out through the end with a long blunt object (I suggest a long allen key)

Specs on the pegs are as follows

4" long without endcap.
4.25" with endcap.

Knurled or Smooth, your choice

Weight...I havent been to the post office to weigh them as yet but they're lighter than the full pleg with the steel insert. And they're lighter than regular steel/aluminum Sequence pegs.

Pricelist is as follows. All prices are in US funds!

Colour doesnt change the price!

6061 Knurled -  40 per pair
6061 Griptape - 40 per pair

7075 Knurled - 65 per pair (BLACK ONLY)
7075 Griptape - 65 per pair

Endcaps are 5.00 per pair! I suggest picking up 4 caps per pair of pegs.

Shipping will be determined depending on where you live. I do take paypal. So far I've got 8 pegs out the door! 4 are sitting in Core Bike shop in downtown Toronto! Spread the word!

NOW! PICTURES!!!!!

Here's that clear griptape I was talking about. I can cut it to fit the whole peg and just send it to you seperately or I can tape it up for you however you want!

Looking at the side of the purple peg, the knurling is so even it looks like its wrapped in fabric!

Here you can get a close up view of the knurling, Its not super rough so it rips your hands apart, but it gives the perfect grip even if your shoes are worn to nothing

Here you can see the beautiful internal machining job done by CNC

I am extremely proud of how these turned out.

I'd personally like to thank Prasheel Gopal, Al Poirier, and Brandon Fenton for getting the wheels turning.

George French from G-Sport for his great advice on materials and engineering.

Aaron at Solid Bikes for putting up with me for 5 months and doing a fantastic job on the pegs.

My little machine shop, because without my lathe, I would have not even gotten off the ground

And last but not least, all those who encouraged me throughout this very costly endevour.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:52:52 AM by TOflat »

Offline slimp

• Hitchhiker
Re: New Autumn Pegs are here!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:05:50 AM »
looks good. what material is the endcap?

Budz

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 03:16:50 AM »
they look pretty nice.
very short tho. :(  for MY taste anyway.
all the best dude! :beer:

the beard

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 03:31:37 AM »
nice job man  :beer:

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 03:44:21 AM »
looks good. what material is the endcap?

Its a high density plastic thats commonly used in machine bearings. I can't really tell you more than that.

they look pretty nice.
very short tho. :(  for MY taste anyway.
all the best dude! :beer:

You'd be surprised. The first prototypes I did were 4.5" and for pivoting especially they were too long, 4.25 is one of the best lengths I've ridden in my 6 years of flatlanding :)

Never hurts to try something out.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 03:45:52 AM by TOflat »

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 05:01:04 AM »
SAWEEETTTTTTTTT

i need new pegs...  ;D ;D

i still have the first pictures ever...  ;D ;D
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

stereo

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 05:15:07 PM »
Nice work!

It's always great to see someone take an idea and make it come to life. If only more people would take the risk and follow through with it.

What colors are available for the end caps? Just black or white?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:18:13 PM by stereo »

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 08:33:18 PM »
just black and white for now. I've got to do a lot more research into plastics. The coloured plsatic you see different companies use is apparantly a trade secret and they get different pigments and plastics tested at a time until they can come up with a good solid mix that stands up to the bashing and is also colourful. The stuff I've used comes from the Nylon family. Its a super high quality plastic thats used in the machine industry as bushings and sometimes even gears. You might even find it being used in some plastic BB's since bushings are required to be spun at different speeds and maintain a low coefficient of friction. Hence, when I scrape them on the ground, they get a little scuffed up, and thats about it.

I've slammed them, I've scraped them, I might end up taking a blow torch to one of the spare caps to see how it fares on hot asfault.

The thing that surprised me a bit about this little project was that they act as mini shock absorbers so when you do throw the bike down, theres no solid bang. Its muffled by the endcap which in 2 months of testing the new ones hasn't so much as cracked the cap anywhere and the peg body is protected as well. This is the main reason why they were machined the way they were and why they're so light since the cap takes most of the abuse.

Note to everyone**

You can certainly run the pegs without the caps, but you run the risk of possibly having the end crack on you a bit since #1, the endcap forms a support for the end of the peg, its almost totally solid. #2, thin aluminum gets very sharp very fast if you run it on the ground a lot. Take a look at the back bizhouse pegs on Ed Nussbaums bike.

I have some plans in the future for replacable aluminum and steel caps that will be set in place by setscrews. It's not solid yet, the drawings are there, I just need to make with the prototypes.

When I'm done the prototypes the machinist at Quamen will need new shorts.  ;D

stereo

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 09:10:48 PM »
I have some plans in the future for replacable aluminum and steel caps that will be set in place by setscrews. It's not solid yet, the drawings are there, I just need to make with the prototypes.

Another interesting concept would be to thread the inside of the end of the peg and the outside of the cap that is placed inside the peg and have an allen wrench applicator machined or molded into the end of the cap, that way the cap could be screwed into the end of the peg. Similar in design to this, only the cap is made of plastic instead of metal. Just a theory that I thought sounded cool, but may be too costly to implement.

*shrugs*
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:14:35 PM by stereo »

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 10:12:22 PM »
believe me, I thought of it.

The problem is you need more tools or the proper type of wrench. Threading isn't a big thing, it'll add maybe 50 cents to the cost of each part.

50 cents multiplied by say 60, you've already booted up 30 extra bucks for just threading.

Tree is special, they can afford to be a little more creative. Say that new sprocket they have has that press fitted spline drive. that piece alone must be at least 2 bucks to make in machining time.

The little things add up to a lot of money!

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 10:33:41 PM »
Wow they're great pegs from the looks of things. Congrats.  :beer:

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 07:27:10 PM »
They look quite nice!  Did I miss it or is the diameter not listed?  Please post that with weights and other factors,  like can they be drilled out for 14mm and will the endcap allow the use of a socket large enough for 14mm axle nuts?  Almost ran into that issue on a set of mag suelo pegs.

Brian

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 03:02:08 AM »
I completely forgot diameter.

They're all 1.5" diameter, 4" long without cap, 4.25 with the cap.

I can indeed drill them out to fit 14mm.

As for the cap with trying to take the socket on and off. The Inner Diameter of the cap it 1.00"
It will fit 14mm socket heads since I personally use one myself on my Demolition Mary Kate hub which is a female axle with large bolt heads. So yes, does work.

Weight and shipping info to come as soon as I can get to the post office, Sometime in the next week, since I'm booked solid. Hopefully tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 03:04:46 AM by TOflat »

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 03:06:57 AM »
Big Props to a man that kept his dream alive, when once he thought he hit a dead end.

Definetly very cool to see the end product of all the hard work.  I thought the were priced a lil high until i saw some japanese pegs for 149.99 for four.

The price comes in a little higher than I would have liked it to. This is just because most companies make rediculous amounts of pegs in some machine shops and get a price cut because of just quantity. I made 60, there was no price cut for me :angry:

Offline Hoya

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 11:50:45 AM »
I love the knurled ones..Wish I could afford it but Im on a bloody tight budget..Looks really good!