Author Topic: fork glides, steamrollers, and hitchhickers *sigh*  (Read 11832 times)

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
fork glides, steamrollers, and hitchhickers *sigh*
« on: August 27, 2008, 07:05:52 PM »
Not including the pros and top amateurs - are these the only tricks that people want to do now-a-days? What ever happened to people rocking backyards, lardyards, locomotives, front yards, elbow glides, etc. for mid-beginner types. I know these are old-school, but hey... is this not "freestyle"? Why are we limiting ourselves?

I'm putting my back brake back on just to aid me in rocking these again. After yesterday's session, I've decided that I'm done with limiting myself to front wheel rolling tricks and adding scuffing the rear again.

I'm old-school - and proud of it.

Offline @venicebch

• Hitchhiker
Re: fork glides, steamrollers, and hitchhickers *sigh*
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:20:06 PM »
weird, i feel like im limiting myself when i do old school tricks.

Offline RoidRage420

• Beef
    • Yeller Feefer Smoking Reefer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 07:44:14 PM »
Yeah, its kinda nice to see old people with arthritis medications and Ben-Gay busting out the old brake cables and stuttering around like a parkinsons patient going in circles.

I think brakeless is more fluid and artistic.  Brakes just seem like a picture of Rosanne Barr put in front of your face during sex.  Mood Killer... :wub:
Good as Drink is, it always ends with thirst...

Offline RoidRage420

• Beef
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:01:21 PM »
That is true, but people respond to what the poster posted.  Which essentially says "All the awesome new brake less tricks are much too hard and are therefore stupid."  Maybe he/she should have said "I like the awesome new brake less tricks, but sometimes I prefer to get emo and nostalgic about ye olde days.  Some of those old-school tricks are still fun!"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:10:03 PM by RoidRage420 »

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
That is true, but people respond to what the poster posted.  Which essentially says "All the awesome new brake less tricks are much too hard and are therefore stupid."  Maybe he/she should have said "I like the awesome new brake less tricks, but sometimes I prefer to get emo and nostalgic about ye olde days.  Some of those old-school tricks are still fun"

Where did I say brakeless tricks are too hard and stupid? Wierd... let's see:

"Not including the pros and top amateurs - are these the only tricks that people want to do now-a-days? What ever happened to people rocking backyards, lardyards, locomotives, front yards, elbow glides, etc. for mid-beginner types. I know these are old-school, but hey... is this not "freestyle"? Why are we limiting ourselves?

I'm putting my back brake back on just to aid me in rocking these again. After yesterday's session, I've decided that I'm done with limiting myself to front wheel rolling tricks and adding scuffing the rear again.

I'm old-school - and proud of it."

Yup, didn't mention anything like what you said. Didn't mention "stupid" or anything like that... funny you read into that. That's kinda stupid. :rolleyes:

Forget about what it looks like. Its just nice to have some more tricks in the bag. Old or new.

You nailed it! Thanks for understanding the whole point, unlike some people.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:14:14 PM by Dion Rides »

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 08:20:08 PM »
What exactly do you want to use the back brake for, for those tricks?

I still run back brakes, and I still do old-school tricks, so I am not anti-brake by any means...it's just that I don't see how the specific tricks you mentioned would be easier to learn or practice with the brakes.  Just wondering...Do whatever you like though  :)

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 08:26:25 PM »
What exactly do you want to use the back brake for, for those tricks?

I still run back brakes, and I still do old-school tricks, so I am not anti-brake by any means...it's just that I don't see how the specific tricks you mentioned would be easier to learn or practice with the brakes.  Just wondering...Do whatever you like though  :)

Getting into locomotives and backyards, the old school way (from a tail whip). :)

Offline AB

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 08:47:24 PM »
Old school vs. new school doesn't much matter. Deathtrucks and hitchhikers are what, two decades old now? They are still fun to do and watch. And tons of people still do them or variations of them. Triple and quad decades are still insanely hard, but very old. So old tricks don't exactly translate into easy tricks. Put the back brake on, rock what makes you feel good.

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 09:03:16 PM »
i think the whole brakeless thing after few months of riding is kinda stupid, why remove them already when you havent reached the level of using them to the fullest?

brakeless is more stylish - sure whatever, dont touch the brake then  :rolleyes:

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 09:20:47 PM »
Yeah, its kinda nice to see old people with arthritis medications and Ben-Gay busting out the old brake cables and stuttering around like a parkinsons patient going in circles.

I think brakeless is more fluid and artistic.  Brakes just seem like a picture of Rosanne Barr put in front of your face during sex.  Mood Killer... :wub:

lol

Brakes are mood killers??

It's all about what trix you like to do... I see brakes really kill Wilhelms style...or really kill Pete Brandts style...what you said is silly dude.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 09:25:25 PM »
Not including the pros and top amateurs - are these the only tricks that people want to do now-a-days? What ever happened to people rocking backyards, lardyards, locomotives, front yards, elbow glides, etc. for mid-beginner types. I know these are old-school, but hey... is this not "freestyle"? Why are we limiting ourselves?

I'm old-school - and proud of it.

Good for you... some people honestly aren't good enough IMHO to ride brakeless...they limit themselves and do it to be cool cuz it's the "newer" thing to do... others ARE good enough to ride without them, don't take what I said out of context.

Me...I'm an advanced novice. I ride a front brake only. I had to RElearn how to do my backwheel stuff without a back brake...however It hasn't limited me except for decades and undertakers. I would never think about removing my front brake.

I do like having less clutter on the bike not having a gyro and cables I will say that much.

Offline @venicebch

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 09:59:35 PM »
i don't care if im good enough, No brakes is my choice.

Offline @venicebch

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 10:02:07 PM »

Offline RoidRage420

• Beef
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 10:09:54 PM »

I love it when girls roll their eyes, soo sesssy!

Offline Nesquik

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 11:11:39 PM »

I love it when girls roll their eyes, soo sesssy!
Dude, whats your deal?