Author Topic: Things People Might Want To Know  (Read 18551 times)

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
Things People Might Want To Know
« on: August 27, 2008, 03:19:58 AM »
After a discussion with a friend of mine, I decided to start a thread on things you learn when putting a new bike together or using a new part that the general flatland group might want to know.

Example : A 2.1 rear tire doesn't fit in abadthing frame, not that everyone really runs those, but might be good to know.
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline misterpola

• Deathtrucker
Re: Things People Might Want To Know
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:27:29 AM »
After a discussion with a friend of mine, I decided to start a thread on things you learn when putting a new bike together or using a new part that the general flatland group might want to know.

Example : A 2.1 rear tire doesn't fit in abadthing frame, not that everyone really runs those, but might be good to know.
lol, i had that problem with a custom-made frame..     ^_^

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:29:23 AM »
I may add that using a regular ol grease to put your cranks together
with a ti spindle is not ok if you ever want to get them off again.

using ti specific grease is mandatory.
Old dudes can still rip

Offline Nlott

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:31:17 AM »
ohhhh Brian got a bad thing frame.....

My advice would be to save those little metal end pieces that go on your brake cable.
Nolan Lott
Binghamton University

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 03:43:27 AM »
Keep every single nut, bolt, knarp, axle, washer and all brake pieces {knarps, lucky bolts, ferrules, all hardware etc} thats left over when you build your bike because if you change parts later on, or help fix someone elses bike, those little bits are pure gold. Keep them all in one box, together. They seem rubbish at the time, but are much needed later down the track.

Offline ediot

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 04:25:54 AM »
if there's one part that you cannot ride without... barends. i'll say it again - BARENDS.

saved my life more than a couple times, literally.

also - don't forget your stretches, do them before you ride, do them when you have free time, do them while you watch TV. riding becomes more enjoyable just from some effective, simple stretching

jim mckay

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 04:49:10 AM »
when installing KHE Dubz chain tensioners on a KHE Paris frame, they will not work. the middle section is thicker than the dropout and you need to thin it out to make it work.

timk4130!

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 05:05:12 AM »
good thread brian....i think this should go along way...it will help people not only pick parts easier...but make it one less hassle to deal with when getting those parts...i dont have anything to really add but bended tubes truely dont make a differece in multiple whiplashes or pinky squeeks...and if you do without gosip..you will not only better yourself...but have just that much more time to progress towards your goals....(sorry huffman...this is the only thing that first came to mind )  thanks again...and hopefully alot of these posts can be transfered to the parts section....tk

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 05:16:00 AM »
TAKE YOUR TIME!

and take the time to clean every little bit of old grease off/applying new grease when you do a complete rebuild.

WRAP YOUR FRAME IN A CLOTH... again... a cloth- when traveling with it to avoid scratches.

if something doesn't feel right, take it apart, and try again. I learned that two times... when i first removed my forks, and when i first rebuilt my freecoaster.

Don't skimp on the small stuff... this is what will ruin you. Don't get a new wheel and use an old bent up hub... common sense here...

MAINTENANCE IS THE KEY TO MAKING REPAIRS EASY!!!
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Budz

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 05:16:32 AM »
if u eat a heavy meal of mexican or indian food, make sure u allow yourself enough time to drop the kids off at the pool before u ride. ;)
no one wants to risk a "shart" in the middle of a hard trick or bail.

also, if u ride a KHE Minamalism stem, make sure u un-clamp the handlebar area BEFORE clamping the fork pinch bolts or the super thin fork pinch bolts will die. ive seen it happen recently and it isnt pretty. and since those pinch bolts are so thin u cant just swap some off of another fork. they are about as thin as the bolts in plug style bar ends or a seat clamp. so use ur noggin and remember the above. ^_^

Budz

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 05:22:44 AM »
oh yea...

if u run 2.1 tires, they probably wont work with the new Odyssey Classic forks.
my current front 1.85 is cuttin it close. it looks like a 1.95 MIGHT just squeeze in there tho.

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 05:32:30 AM »
oh yea...

my current front 1.85 is cuttin it close. it looks like a 1.95 MIGHT just squeeze in there tho.

scary...

1.75 isnt much smaller though...

how tight did they make these things!
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 06:23:24 AM »
 Bike repair stands are one of the best things you'll ever buy...

If you ever put in bearing cups on an old USA/normal headtube frame, a 9/16" or so threaded rod, 2 nuts, and a couple big washers will change your life...

Put oil or grease on your spoke nipples when you build a wheel ,it wont make them loosen but it makes the wheel alot easier to work on a few months down the road..

Offline bmx4lif3

• Cliffhanger
  • So-Cal
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 06:32:39 AM »
Grease your freecaoster every chance you get... make sure u take care of it like a nice young lady. ;D

Budz

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 06:36:45 AM »
oh yea...

scary...

1.75 isnt much smaller though...

how tight did they make these things!
the wheel is a bit off center since im in the middle of replacing the front axle and the wheel is not secured to the fork in this pic. but this should give u an idea of how narrow the new Oddy forks are. as u can see, not much space even with a 1.85" tire. now that ive looked at it, it seems a 1.95" tire would fit, but if theres any rim or fork flex, i think the tire would rub the inside of the fork legs.
anyone looking to buy these forks, keep this in mind if u are a fat tire lover. ;)