Author Topic: Texas Flatland Round up IV  (Read 18278 times)

News_Bot

Texas Flatland Round up IV
« on: August 16, 2008, 12:47:44 AM »
Date: 11.10.2008

This year the TFR will be held on October 11, 2008 and will be a contest/Jam.  As of right now we are doing a Pro Only competition, however, we will have a jam for EVERYONE to participate in.  The TFR will be held at the Hays County Fair in San Marcos, Texas and will be all FREE!!  That´s right!!  No fee to enter the fairgrounds and NO ENTRY FEE to compete or jam.  EVERYONE is welcomed to bring their bikes and ride, the riding area will be HUGE and FLAT, the floor will be a little slick but we will do whatever we can to control that such as frequent mopping.  More details to come very soon at WWW.BMXFREESTYLER.COM.  If you have any questions in the meantime, please feel free to call me at 512-878-3945 or you can email me at flatlandevents@yaoo.com.

Offline Jesse

• Hitchhiker
Re: Texas Flatland Round up IV
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 02:44:28 AM »
We have had one decent event in the US this year, and now you want to have a pro only contest?!

What is the point?

timk4130!

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:11:05 AM »
jesse...i feel ya!   even the lack of masters class in some events have pushed a lot of riders including myself not to compete.... im pretty confident in saying at least ten to fifteen riders throughout the u.s.a. did not compete  because of this non-option in events this year and truely once you go pro....you shouldnt be able to go back.(im not the only one here that truely looks in this form  of progression/degression) ...so this is what a few of us here including myself would like to see happen not only just in big u.s.a. comps....but in other jam/comp organizers ideas for next year as well...

Offline BmxnTexan

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 07:30:18 AM »
I understand your concerns, however to answer your question of "what's the point"?!  The point is FLATLAND.  I'm not doing this contest for you, I'm not doing this contest for me.  I'm doing if for flatland.  Now, with that said, We are going to have a good time at the contest and flatland will be introduced to kids and parents who otherwise, more than likeley, would never witness this wonderful sport.  Some little kid may take interest and ask his parents for a bike and, you never know, this could be the next Terry Adams.  Just think if this contest didnt take place because people were asking "what's the point"?? 

The bottom line Jesse, is that it was a business decission that was made to make it a Pro Only comp.  There are so many things to take into consideration when putting on an event like this, everything from the time of the year to the nations economy.   I've done 3 contests so far and each one I've done, I've lost money on.  Now, I'm not talking a couple of hudred bucks.  I'm talking about up to the Thousands.  As the organizer, I had to ask myslef  questoins like "do I put this money towards the contest or do I feed my kids"??  What would you do??  It takes a lot to put a contest like this together and this time my goal was to make it affordable for everybody, including myslef.  Doing away with beginner and expert classes meant no money to be spent on trophies, awards, DJ time, even down to the boxes to put prizes in.  However, I did not want to leave you guys out, this is why the floor will be open for a begginer/amature jam.  You just wont be competing for prizes, Keep in mind Jesse that this whole thing is FREE for EVERYONE!!  You will not be charged to come ride, hang out with other riders, show your skills and watch some of the best riders in the country competing for money.  I mean, REALLY Jesse, look at it this way....  Do you really want to spend the money on Gas to get to the contest in the first place, then spend more money on a hotel, then on top of all that, spend another 40 or 50 bucks to compete and MAYBE you might place in the top 5 to win a prize.  And even then, what are you going to win?? a box full of grips, pegs, shirts and stickers??  Don't get me wrong, as an organizer and promoter, I greatly appreciate anything and everything that a sponsor provides, however, I have been in that situation where I spent 50 or 60 bucks to compete and I walked away with nothing.  I know on the surface it seems as I'm dissing you guys but I'm an amature myself so this is why it was important for me to designate a time for you guys to ride.  We've even tossed the idea of having you guys chip in like 5 or 10 bucks and have a winner take all contest but that will be a decission that will be made the day of.  What it comes down to is that I simply love this sport.  I want to see it continue as I get older,  I want to see younger kids get involved and keep the sport alive.   I would not spend the time and money on organizing a contest if I didnt love it.  The Bottome line is .... it was either Pro Only or NO CONTEST at all.  Which one would you rather have?? 

I hope this addressed your concerns and If you have any other questions or coments that may appear to be negative please contact me directly at flatlandevents@yahoo.com or feel free to call me.  My number is 512-878-3945. 

Thank you, and I hope to see everyone at the Texas Flatland Round up IV. 

Chris Balles

timk4130!

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
chris...do you think that enough time...or even in the future there will be alternatives to having a am expert or masters class? it seems like alot of people dont know how to talk to people...or even get them to send product for events ...so either this is out of their reach or this is simular to a town getting the ball rolling on skateparks being built in riders hometowns (witch is what ive been working on with the hometown i am from) thanks though for your efforts (from one father to another) ....take care...and good luck...tk   

Offline burnedtaco

• Forkglider
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 06:24:52 PM »
That is only 8 hours away! I don't give a damn, I'm so there.

Hey chris can i crash on your couch?

Offline flatmonkey

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 06:46:15 PM »
I have helped contribute to the TFR in the past and I have known Chris for a while now.  He puts his blood, sweat, and tears into is contests and a lot of money.  We all try to travel to jams and have a good time.   I think Chris is doing a great thing here by still having a contests and getting everyone together to ride.  I was a little bummed to when I found out the AM class was not taking place this year but, after I talked to Chris I totally know where he is coming from.  This will be a great time to get together and ride.  I have been traveling like crazy but, I am going to do what I can to make it down that way.....Thanks Chris for keeping Flatland alive and I am sure everyone will have a good time....my best memories from last year was just riding with everyone and having a great time....

Peace;

Chris R

Offline Erik Otto

• GF Inhabitant
  • The Brotherhood for life.
    • Monolithic Flatland
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 07:48:30 PM »
I will do my best to be there.  I need to get some $$$ together.

jim mckay

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 12:31:10 AM »
I've got space to put up a couple riders (^above^),  in Austin if ya'll need a place to stay...

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 07:04:39 AM »
I've been wanting to check out the Texas Scene... Maybe I can get to this event...

'Fleece' got space for me if I can make it out ?

-Roy
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo

jim mckay

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 01:31:31 PM »
I've been wanting to check out the Texas Scene... Maybe I can get to this event...

'Fleece' got space for me if I can make it out ?

-Roy

As of now, yeah, just let me know

Offline Who-Leo

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 05:50:16 PM »
I live in San Antonio and my place is also open to traveling GF members for this event.
San Marcos is sort of a midpoint between Austin and San Antonio.
Feel free to PM if I can be of assistance.
Peace
J
“Impulsive and unfiltered communication usually costs our relationships dearly. Saying what we want, when we want isn’t modern at all—it’s Neanderthal”

timk4130!

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 02:33:32 PM »
i have yet to be to texas...the only way i can make it out there is if bret gill goes...witch ill be riding in front of his band tonight (the guys) ill talk to him tonight and see whats on the schedule..as far as jams the only ones i already have planned is st. louis and ticos jam...but again...would love to make it out to this to enjoy a good day of riding in the lone star state....tk

jim mckay

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 02:18:20 PM »
man, please tell bret to log in and check his messages. i'd like to get ahold of him

Offline gtcesflat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 04:01:29 PM »
I know how long you have been riding FLAT and how much heart you have put into it.   All I remember my cousin (JERRY SILGUERO) saying is....  THERE IS THIS GUY IN SAN MARCOS, THAT IS BAD ASS.  HE IS DOING DEATHTRUCKS ALL OVER THE PLACE. HE SHOULD BE A PRO.  AND SO ON....
That was about 18 years ago.  You opened our eyes and showed us that not just the guys in the magazines could do these crazy hard ass tricks.   You were totally nice and not stuck up or rude, and when I took the trip to see this legend named CHRIS BALLES, I was nervous but excited. You answered all my stupid questions and showed me some great hospitality.  YOU MADE ME WANT TO DEVOTE MY LIFE TO FLATLAND...WHEN I SAW HOW MUCH FUN YOU WERE HAVING AND HOW COOL YOU WERE ON THAT WHITE GT, I KNEW THAT IS WHAT LEVEL I WANTED TO BE ON.  THANKS CHRIS.  THIS IS CESAR CALDERON AND YOU CAN COUNT ON ME BEING AT THE JAM AND REPRESENTING OUR GREAT STATE  AND JAMMING WITH THE PROS AND ALL OF MY FLATLAND BROTHERS.  KEEP UP ALL YOUR HARD WORK CHRIS, SEE YOU AT THE ROUND UP........ :beer: