Author Topic: Offset v. zero offset  (Read 2365 times)

Offline nika

• Cliffhanger
Offset v. zero offset
« on: September 03, 2006, 12:20:55 AM »
At the mo I'm only just touching on modern flatland, have been riding most of my life (35 now - still can't stop riding) but only recently got myself a decent bike.

It has zero offset on the forks, something I always thought would be a good idea, even before the DP firebird came out, and I really like the way the bike rides with zero rake.

I notice lots of people are using the minimal offsets and am wondering what your preferences are, and why? How drastically does it change the balance and speed of front wheel tricks?

I see pros and cons for both sides, just wanna hear from anyone with strong views on the subject.

Cheers.
sausages and plants and goldfish

Offline Jody

• Funky Chicken
Re: Offset v. zero offset
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 01:13:02 AM »
Hi Nika,
           The DP Firebird Freestyler! hey it was my very first custom built BMX.It was chrome,Haro vector bars,uni seat,white skyways,1 piece crank, it brought back fond memories :mellow:

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 02:39:10 AM »
It all goes down to the same subject: preference.

I rode a street fork and stem for a longe time, 3/4 yrs and then i got my Gypo2 which came with minimal on both components.
The stem has 30mm i think and the fork is Vajda from OG so its 4mm offseted. It took me more getting used to the lack of weight (the other bike was way heavier) than to the offsets at least I think It did unless my difficulties getting used to the new ride were due to the offset's which I dont think they were.

So, there is no Flatland specification products, you can't say that this bar is better for flatland than any other one, even talking about street/dirt/vert whatever! couse there is no standard for flatland bikes, being so specific and technical causes this I believe.

In the end it all comes down to what you are used to anda as long as you keep your ride light (there ain't a specifical weight so...) the rest comes with habit...

Offline nika

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 02:41:20 AM »
Hi Nika,
 The DP Firebird Freestyler! hey it was my very first custom built BMX.It was chrome,Haro vector bars,uni seat,white skyways,1 piece crank, it brought back fond memories :mellow:

What i would have given for that kinda setup back then!

I really really wanted a flouro pink Firebird, I still remember the advert on the back of 'Freestyle BMX'..

Had to have a coaster brake though..
sausages and plants and goldfish

Offline Jody

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 12:25:41 PM »
Hi Nika,
           As I started to lose intrest in freestyle, I just let the bike go and the weather got to it, and ended up in a bad way-big big mistake! it was a teenage phase-GIRLS-BOOZE-GIRLS-BOOZE, and now back riding after 18 years  ^_^

Offline Vic Román

• Cliffhanger
  • RaD!
    • Gorilla Photo Media
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 07:24:38 AM »
sup?!!?
I ride a 1987 dyno detour...(yes I know Im trying to get a Suelo Simple).
I recently put some zero ofset bars on it it took some getting use to but I like how it rides now. :ph34r:

"This ain't segregation this is freestyle folks". - Ruben Castillo