Author Topic: Do I really need a new bike?  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Nesquik

• Cliffhanger
Do I really need a new bike?
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:18:26 AM »
Well, a little over a week ago, I bought a 2007 Hoffman EL2 Rhythm.  I planned to convert it to a flatland bike, but I am having second thoughts.  I am either going to sell it, buy a flatland frame and build up a bike, or keep it an adjust it.  One thing I really dont like is the weight of it, but being a beginner I am not sure which is the better choice.  Should I change or sell?

If I decide to sell, I am looking at two frames.  The Suelo Simple V2, or the KGB New Conexion.  I like them both, but what are good or bad about each of them?

Also, I will be building it up light, and being a beginner I am afraid I may be to hard on it.  How durable are bike parts?  I am really new to this, and it may sound stupid, but in general, will bailing screw up anything?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:42:23 AM by nesquik ninja »

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
Re: New Bike, already
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:26:40 AM »
I havent managed to mess up any parts yet by bailing.

I always get tossed over the bars on hang 5 attempts
and I just jump clean away from bike.
bike is left to fend for its self.
so far,   I can tell it lands alot on back pegs and pedals hit the ground.
no breakage on any parts yet.

so I guess they are pretty durable.
exept for my aries plastic bb is wearing out faster than I thought it would.
and I got a little crank "slop" now. - still useable tho.
Old dudes can still rip

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Do I really need a new bike?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:53:42 AM »
ride the hoffman for a bit... you dont need to much when your a beginner. Once you get better, you will know when you need to upgrade. I reccomend the dk signal.
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

havok

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:39:32 AM »
what's the geometry on the hoffman?

Offline morgan

• Team
  • Backpacker
  • Old fool on an old tool
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 10:57:47 AM »
Nesquik - as one newbie to another, go with what you've got...  I keep harping on about my bike (Old S&M Dirtbike), and whether/what I should change, but after a good riding session, I figure, what's the point?

I've put pegs on, and dropped the gearing and run ASM tyres, and for learning, it's superb!  I will change the bars soon to more flat friendly ones, but it works!  Sure, I lust after a new setup (SICK CHILD), but if it feels comfortable and light - go for it...

I will get another setup at some point, but my trusty old Dirtbike suits me real well...

Stick at it, it's the rider, not the bike that matters!
More off than on, but still loving it! Flatland until you can't!

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 11:03:35 AM »
no point buying a flatland specific frame right of the bat for two main reasons

1. You wont appreciate the frame and the difference it makes, it will literally be money wasted when you can learn EVERY trick on a normal bmx anyway. A flatland frame just makes it easier later on, but not now.

2. If for whatever reason you decide flatland isn't for you, a normal bmx will be alot easier to sell than a flatland bike.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline Nostalgia

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 01:13:38 PM »
Man,wait to change it!
Buy some parts,like bars and maybe a zero fork!
Cut your bar,do a good flat setup and you are ready!
With training you can do whatever you want also on a heavy bike...i tell you this because i'm in worst conditions than you!
Sorry for my english,i'm italian.... ^_^

I have a bike born for street,it weights a lot(15-16kg) but i cut the seat tube,the bar(i also ride brakeless) and it feels good!I want to buy a fork and a bar,but i'm waiting to buy a new frame!
i can do hang 5s,mc circles steam rollers hitch hikers,megaspins time machines...is not a problem,just training!
trust in you and go ride!
 -_- :P

Offline Nesquik

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:17:05 PM »
Right now, I have the chance to sell my bike and afford to build up a flatland bike. 
At first I as going to go with what many people said, just keep it, but if I do, I won't be able to sell for as much later.  I wont lose much money, and I am thinking it would be a good choice.  Feedback?

Offline nebula24

• Nebula24.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 11:57:59 PM »
If you can afford it, then do it. Sounds like it might be a one time chance to sell and buy new without too much cash loss so go ahead and take it.

You just don't have to as your current bike will work fine. I ride a midschool tank and know while a lighter/newer bike would be nice it wouldn't make me a better rider.