Author Topic: Replace that tensioner bolt.  (Read 6159 times)

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Replace that tensioner bolt.
« on: June 20, 2008, 02:38:10 AM »
I posted some pics of my pops tensioner, and a brief how to has been requested.
The purpose is to remove sharp edges from your ride.

1..Undo the bolt thats stuck in the tensioner, [they are in place with loctite] so you'll need to   
   put the bolt in a vice and undo the tensioner with a spanner.

2..Measure how long your bolt needs to be from end to end including the full thread length.

3..Take your bolt to your local hardware store or nut and bolt retailer. If you have quamen
    pops, its a 6mm metric. Ask for a buttonhead bolt in stainless steel.{ss does not rust and
    looks nice.} The thread must go all the way to the head. Some bolts have partway
    threads. Also get some washers and a nut {this will give you more adjustment if you
    change frames or cog sizes.}

4..If your bolt is longer than required, you can pack it with a few washers, or cut to size with
    a hacksaw but you'll need to finish off the thread nice with a file or sandpaper to debur
    the damaged/sharp edges.

5..Put it all together like you would normally, except you now use an allen key/hex key to
    tighten. If the chains not tight enough, either shorten your bolt, or pack with another
    washer. I only use one washer and no nut, but if you prefer some variables in adjustment,
    put in a nut or extra washers. Other than that, copy me and buy a few bolts while your at
    the bolt retailer, should you change parts around in the future, like cogs.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:06:18 AM by Paradoxium »

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Replace that tensioner bolt.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 02:48:57 AM »
Great idea!!!  strongly recommended, when you are learing or just practicing hang 5's and your jeans catch tensioner bolt, scary.  a must do in my book.
    Thanks Karl :ph34r:
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
Re: Replace that tensioner bolt.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:00:29 PM »
update;

my tensioner bolt was keyed with a 3 millimeter allen wrench to remove bolt