Author Topic: Road/fixies  (Read 6374 times)

el topo

Re: Road/fixies
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 01:19:54 AM »
nothin big, just a tasty nug

Max S

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 08:11:22 PM »
its cool, its like a lifestyle just like flatland. Except there are bigger bikes with knee grinding brakes

And lots of hipster cunts with a "hipper than thou" attitude that look down on everyone not riding a fixie.

It's a lifestyle that revolves around colorways and clothes, not personal progression.

Sounds like most of today's Harley riders.

el topo

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 10:21:38 PM »
Just got my first road bike ever! Pake 55cm. I just got in from my first ride, and first skids :)

el topo

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 06:34:38 PM »
I haven't yet decided how I feel about this:
(pic is from a competition)

Offline therifraf

• Backpacker
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 04:55:07 AM »
i've never ridden one of those fixies, but they look like a lot of fun.

sickchildbikes.com
functionbmx.com

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 05:20:35 AM »
Imagine if you could efficiently ride a unicycle around town and look/feel cool while doing so.  That's a fixie.  Yeah they do some basic tricks, but the real trick is just riding the thing.  Oh yeah, you have to have some rigged up "custom" stuff that you pay your local bike shop to do for you because you are neither a rider nor mechanically inclined in any way.   Think DIY with out the Y.  I shouldn't bitch too much we make a good amount of $ off these f*cks.  But 90% of them are "posers".

brian

el topo

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 06:00:09 AM »
Imagine if you could efficiently ride a unicycle around town and look/feel cool while doing so.  That's a fixie.  Yeah they do some basic tricks, but the real trick is just riding the thing.  Oh yeah, you have to have some rigged up "custom" stuff that you pay your local bike shop to do for you because you are neither a rider nor mechanically inclined in any way.   Think DIY with out the Y.  I shouldn't bitch too much we make a good amount of $ off these f*cks.  But 90% of them are "posers".

brian

I openly admit to being a naive victim of the romanticism

of fixed gear bikes. I was swayed.  I also admit that since my bike arrived in the mail, I took it apart and re-assembled the whole thing to make sure it was cool to ride. I found some really bad work btw. They'd cut the steer tube to the frame, crookedly, and used it as a top compression bolt shim. fail. On this 1" frame, a 1 1/8" stem was shimmed on, and the plastic top cap of the headset was so undersized it didn't even touch the stem. bah. troubles. Way crooked rim strips (which I didn't EVEN think to check) allowed for two flat tires after only two rides. They prolly dislike those guys too LOL.   Good thing I had enough snap to check out the rest of it. Two days in it and I'm already ready for a freewheel cog, more comfortable bars, and a front brake to save my freaking knees.

*Incidently, brian, this weekend I met THE stereotypical poser/idiot/hipster. I like to think I'm not at all like that guy, (tho I may be ) I do feel ya, now. When they figure out how to hook up a sidecar up to a unicycle to "hall your dog" (keg), the hipsters will have the shops backed up for 2 whole years haha. it's like, a lifestyle dude.   ;D

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 06:09:39 AM by sweatpantz »