Author Topic: Winstanleys :(  (Read 4327 times)

Offline DannygUK

Winstanleys :(
« on: June 02, 2008, 12:35:04 PM »
Hi

I know everyone says to avoid Winstanleys but they had a wheel i really wanted/needed and it was cheaper than everywhere else.

Anyway to cut a long story short it's ended up costing me big time, basically they sent me the wrong wheel (some £70 street wheel) instead of the £150 wheel with freecoaster i ordered. Rang them and they said send it back recorded delivery which i did (stupid mistake i know!)

So now it's gone missing and they haven't got it back and won't refund until they do. Obviously the post office won't refund the full value of the £70 wheel, let alone the £150 + £8 postage i've paid out.

Anyone else had anything like this happen? I know it's basically my own fault for ordering from them and then using the postage method they suggested.

Just had to vent that, it's been bugging me, it's now cost me £300 just to get one wheel :(

Dan

byke

Re: Winstanleys :(
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:48:36 PM »
Winstanleys has one of the worst reputations out there.
Check if you can claim anything on your credit card

Offline DannygUK

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 01:07:25 PM »
Yeah i think i'm going to go down the credit card route, just writing Winstanleys a letter with all the dates of phone calls/emails etc.

I guess paying the extra £10 from somewhere else would have been worth it!

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:21:38 PM »
Winstanleys as a business is meant to be insured against missing items anyway. In reality its their job to look after customers, even more so when they blindly posted any old cheap wheel. They ripped you off in the first place through stupidity, now they add salt to the wound by ripping you a second time. There is a possibility a worker at winstanleys even kept your wheel. Tons of guys in bike shops ride bmx too.

Let them know the world knows of this through the forums, and they may have a change of heart, for their own good. Ask them if they would prefer to save 150 pounds or lose thousands every year through a bad reputation. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 02:28:47 PM by Paradoxium »

Offline AndyL

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 02:26:09 PM »
I think someone should send Wankstanleys are link to this site and all the threads that say they are THE worsed mail order company EVER!!!

If you sent it recorded doesn't the Royal Mail have some maximum amount you can claim?  I thought Recorded was insured to a certain amount and then special was even more etc..

SCOTTISHFLAT

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 02:35:35 PM »
best sites ive dealt with in the uk are
www.billys.co.uk
alansbmx
sourcebmx
customridersuk

all really good and if theres a propblem they phne u up the same day u make ur orderd 10 out of 10 for thoose sites

Offline DannygUK

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 03:33:08 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I've used billys and sourcebmx quite a few times and they've always been really good. It was only becuase it was slightly cheaper that i ordered from winstanleys this time.

It's the fact i sent it back recorded that's the problem, the maximum claim amount is £36. It's my own fault really, but that's the exact method they suggested to me to use over the phone.

The most irritating thing is the original f*ck-up was theirs and not mine.

I'll see how writing a letter to them goes if the credit card idea doesn't work.

Phatman

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 04:06:19 PM »
Take them to court, Trading standards, you where not given what you ordered & then when you sent it back they are telling you they havent recieved your parcel. f*ck it if they have or havent say they're lying its decieving you & they've been doing it for a while. You want your £150 wheel or you want your money back in FULL & you could get them in ALOT of sh*t with trading standards.

sumthinluv

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »
Add www.cyclesportuk.co.uk to the best online site list - they've built me two great wheels in the past (one I'm still rolling the other I killed totally my own fault, lol).

I've used Winstanleys twice before without any problems but soooooo many other people I've talked to have said thet they've been screwed around. Both my orders arrived complete, correct, well packaged and within 72 hours of ordering.

The biggest Winstanleys ordering tips I can give are:

1) Just DO NOT order complete bikes from them!

2) Only order products that are listed as "In Stock - Normally Dispatched in 24 Hours" and email/ring them beforehand to double check. If the product status is "Available to Order - Normally Dispatched in 2-7 Days" then forget about it you're looking at easily a month wait...

Winstanleys prices are usually really good - but I'd be tempted to shop elsewhere. ;)

Offline thatunderscoreguy

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 05:20:38 PM »
I must have been really lucky.

My BMX came from wWinstaley's just fine :|

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 07:59:21 PM »
im in the uk and i get all my stuff from pat at flatlandfuel so much cheeper even though its comming all the way from the states

Offline condemned bmx

• Deathtrucker
  • yo
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 08:50:52 PM »
winstanleys has to be the worst shop ive ever had the missfortune of dealing with, all there "stock" they dont actualy ever have in stock! there a hastle to deal with and when things go worng they screw u over, my m8 2 years ago orderd a we the people frame, they sent him the worng on, he sent it back they sent the wrong one again! avoid at all costs, there small prices may draw u in but trust me reli not worth keeping them in busyness
slater