Author Topic: Installing front brake  (Read 35890 times)

Offline MIKE EVANS

• Cliffhanger
Re: Installing front brake
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 09:00:49 PM »
I think I just need to keep rubbing dirt on them. LOL No seriously, we were riding a school lot yesterday, and there was some sand in a couple spots, and I think that combined with the sweat from my hands when grabbing the wheels made them work perfect. The noise went away, they didnt lock up at all when feathering, I had to pull them hard to get them to lock up, but they would stop when needed. Then the lights went out and we went to a different spot. Within an hour they were squealing and locking up again.......Now if I can just find away to make them work like they did when I got dirt on them, Ill be set!!!!!LOL I think Im just gonna try different pads. I dont need them t lock up like they do @all. The old pads just didnt work at all. I just think I need to find something in the middle of crappy pads, and the clear ones and I should be set.
Thanks for the reply though, :beer: ;D
-MIKE
Formerly Known As Back4Good. (all the talk about people hiding behind screen names prompted me to change.)

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 03:45:05 AM »
This isnt quite the same question, as I honestly have my brakes dialed in perfectly. Actually too perfectly. For the first time ever, Im running black rims instead of chrome. The orange pads that came on my Militant LT when I first bought it were crap on the black rims, so I bought a set of clear ones. The action is beautiful and I actually dont have a problem feathering them, but they squeal like a stuck pig ANY time I use them. I pull them to slow down or to feather a trick, this happens. Ive tried toeing the inward slightly, still to no avail. Im guessing that a different set of pads would be the answer. I DONT need them to grab as well as they do, but I do want them to grab when I need them to Im afraid that if I toe them in anymore, the brakes will feel way to spongey.
Like I said, Im not new to working on brakes, and the action is perfect. The only thing I can chalk it up to is possibly the black rims. I will be switching back to chrome soon, but its not a priority as my bike is pretty dialed except for the squealing. Any suggestions on maybe a good pad that will still grab, but not squeal, or am I just gonna be dealing with this till I go back to chrome rims?
Thanks for any answers,
-MIKE

Mike, I run black rims and I don't get any squealing with the black brake pads that came with the Tektro brakes that came on my Opsis.   I'm like you, I still like to be able to feather my brakes without them completely grabbing the rim...but good enough to still do tricks the require good stopping power.   I actually would put dust on my rims sometimes when the brakes lock up to well, so that I can feather them better.

So, I would assume it's your clear pads.  I think they a bit more "rubbery"(for lack of better term) than colored or black pads.

Good to see your shoulder healing up well enough to do some riding.  Can't wait to meet you in person and get some riding done.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline MIKE EVANS

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2009, 08:46:47 AM »
Thanks Tod. Yeah the shoulder is healing and Florida is really starting to hold its own. We had ten riders the other day, including Kip Williamson and others, and we are supposed to have more tomorrow, including Marcos de Jesus. So needless to say, Ive got some pretty heavy motivation. LOL The time off definately helped though. Ive actually gotten creative again instead of just, "Im gonna learn this or that trick today." Plus Its getting back to where I can think something up and actually make it happen so Im more psyched than ever. Plus Ive gotten a few new parts for my bike that have it totally dialed. At least until today when I broke my back axle. LOL
I hoping with everything I have that Im gonna make it to the round up and look forward to riding with you as well.
-MIKE
Formerly Known As Back4Good. (all the talk about people hiding behind screen names prompted me to change.)

havok

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2009, 12:52:33 AM »
i've had my brakes dialed for over a year.
now for some reason, i'm embarassed to say,
my pads don't come off the rim after stopping.
if i give the pads a little nudge they open fine.
after stopping my lever is loose with the extra
cable.  i've redone the spring tensioners several times.
each time i added a little more tension to the springs
to no avail.
WTF?

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2009, 12:03:08 PM »
i've had my brakes dialed for over a year.
now for some reason, i'm embarassed to say,
my pads don't come off the rim after stopping.
if i give the pads a little nudge they open fine.
after stopping my lever is loose with the extra
cable.  i've redone the spring tensioners several times.
each time i added a little more tension to the springs
to no avail.
WTF?
check your springs and install a new cable
 :beer:

havok

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2009, 04:33:18 PM »
Frayed cable inside the housing.

works great now. thanks for the timely help.

Offline andyson

• Forkglider
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 11:20:24 PM »
2 things
whats a brake bullet, and do i need it?
and do i need to cut the metal part of the cable
i got lost in there wouldnt it be too long?

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 10:01:25 AM »
2 things

brake bullet

or you could use a lucky bolt
lucky bolt

yes, you need it.

yes, cables and housing need to be trimmed.

Offline andyson

• Forkglider
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 07:43:05 AM »
k thanks for the clerification :ph34r:

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 02:42:48 AM »
Here's a tip, if you want to keep your cables from fraying, get some of this.

It will also help from getting stabbed and scratching your frame or forks.  You can get it for cheap at an electronics store.  It comes in many colors as well.  Just cut as much you need and shrink it with a lighter.

Offline DLK

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2009, 02:16:32 PM »
Right now I'm running Tektro brakes front and rear. Got them both super dialed and anytime someone rides my bike they comment on how well the front works. But for the sake of saving a little weight and a lower stack height, I just bought a Diatech Box from Pat for the front. The Tektro is like the Hombre in that it has the barrell adjuster built into the brake arm so you have to run the cable out of the fork to the non-drive side of the bike.

As was already mentioned in this thread, the Box, Evo II, St. Martin and Fly brakes do not have the barrell adjuster built in to the arm. I saw that most of you guys run the cable straight into the arm with no problems. I have the cable end that Odyssey provides with the Evo II's so I'm gonna give that a try and see if it fits. But my question is this...with this brake design (no barrel adjuster built in) does it matter which side of the bike you run the front cable out of? I would think not. Plus, I can run it out the drive side of the bike, keeping it out of the way of fork glides and such (I run front cables as short as possible so it's not really a problem but, you know). Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »
^^ will work just fine

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 08:28:56 PM »
2 things

brake bullet

or you could use a lucky bolt
lucky bolt

yes, you need it.

yes, cables and housing need to be trimmed.

I don't like lucky bolts at all. They tend to warp the cable weird in the hanger and I don't think they pull as smooth. They're also more difficult to get the cable where you want where as with the bullet it's pretty easy.

To each their own though.

pucker22

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 05:31:52 AM »
Do I need a Linear or a Slick cable? Which one works best?

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 09:24:23 PM »
slic