Author Topic: flatland is DIFFICULT  (Read 8697 times)

Offline medl4

• Funky Chicken
flatland is DIFFICULT
« on: May 27, 2008, 06:37:12 AM »
ok so i finally got descent balance on peg wheelies, i can get into fork glides and Mccircles, but when i try a firehydrant for the life of me i cant swing the back of my bike around while changing momentum AND standing on the front peg. i lean back and step off just out of natural reaction, it seems like for the last few weeks i'll go out for an hour or 2 and practise the same trick over and over and over and im not getting it, i skateboarded for 12 years so i know some sh*t just takes time to click, but should i be going out longer? or did everyone struggle to learn the basic tricks......oh, and hang5's/fw steamrollers......i have a new respect for anyone that can do that, f*ckin matt wilhelm acts like its cake in that learning dvd..bastard. oh well.....i aint givin up anytime soon. cheers to to you all. -M4

jbkid

Re: flatland is DIFFICULT
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 06:45:07 AM »
I have alot of problems with firhydrants too, but it would really help to have dialed brakes...and hang 5's arn't that tough there just very time consuming and if you don't learn to bail, your gonna eat pavement...i'm just working on turning mine, well when my bikes done that is...like everyone says, it just takes time and may take months, just stick with it and move from trick to trick to get a feel for em and so you don't get burnt out trying the same trick everyday... :beer:

Offline medl4

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:55:24 AM »
thanks, but besides peg wheelies and firehydrants/mCcircles or forkglides, i dont really know what else TO try......everything seems so alien. ESPECIALLY riding on the front wheel.

Offline griOt

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:57:26 AM »
ok so i finally got descent balance on peg wheelies, i can get into fork glides and Mccircles, but when i try a firehydrant for the life of me i cant swing the back of my bike around while changing momentum AND standing on the front peg. i lean back and step off just out of natural reaction, it seems like for the last few weeks i'll go out for an hour or 2 and practise the same trick over and over and over and im not getting it, i skateboarded for 12 years so i know some sh*t just takes time to click, but should i be going out longer? or did everyone struggle to learn the basic tricks......oh, and hang5's/fw steamrollers......i have a new respect for anyone that can do that, f*ckin matt wilhelm acts like its cake in that learning dvd..bastard. oh well.....i aint givin up anytime soon. cheers to to you all. -M4

Using brakes? Dont press the brakes till after the seat passes the handlebar; or put less tension on the brakes/lever. Looks like your timing is off. You dont have enough anti-gravity powers to stay still, so you got to ride the momentum a tad longer. This is similar to tailwhips

the few, the proud, the flatlanders

Offline (B)MX_4-Ever

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 06:58:19 AM »
i got mccircles, fork wheelies and bkwards steams dialed and im moving on to two footed no hands bkwards steams in order to try to learn bkwards half-hiker. im waitin on a front brake to try firehydrants

Offline flatlandfan

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 07:25:52 AM »
Progress is slow. Keep it up and it'll come to you.

i got mccircles, fork wheelies and bkwards steams dialed and im moving on to two footed no hands bkwards steams in order to try to learn bkwards half-hiker. im waitin on a front brake to try firehydrants

Sounds like where I'm at..  :beer:

Offline Chills

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:41:57 AM »

i'm having the same problems but the solution will come with time, and then one day we will be the ones that will make tricks look easy on some learning dvd

haha :beer:

andyb

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »
thanks, but besides peg wheelies and firehydrants/mCcircles or forkglides, i dont really know what else TO try......everything seems so alien. ESPECIALLY riding on the front wheel.
I'm a beginner too, and things really do seem to take forever. This is the order I learned my tricks :
1 - fork glide
2 - backwards steamroller
3 - Peg Manual
4 - Squeakers
5 - backwards halfhiker

Things really do seem to take forever and some people seem to be 'naturally' good at flatland. I get the feeling that I'm not!

Anyway carry on riding and just try to enjoy practicing. I also find that music can help alot.

Offline brad M

• flatland is in our blood and our soul
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 12:49:52 PM »
i am also a beginner and yes things do take a while music helps a lot i learnt my tricks in this order

fork glide
backwards steam
peg manual
ect

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 03:20:32 PM »

if i were u i would go with squakers and  bw-fw hang 5s

Offline cmc

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 03:22:19 PM »

this goes to all the beginners.... If you don't know what to do next, try all your tricks on the opposite side of the bike / with the opposite foot.  So if you normally do left foot left peg steamrollers, try them right foot right peg.  Learning stuff opposite will open a ton of doors for you as far as doing cool links. Not even necessarily hard links, but you will come up with stuff that looks sorta original.  I think it also helps your mind figure out balance points, because you get your brain un-stuck from whatever rut it's in.  Then we you go back to your "regular" side/foot it'll feel even more solid.

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 04:00:45 PM »
Naw.  Flatland isn't difficult.  Getting a blowjob is harder.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Thlayli

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »

Truth. And more expensive.

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 08:57:57 PM »

Truth. And more expensive.
lol

Offline freedcoaster

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 09:20:10 PM »

If that was the case, I be a pro flatlander by now  :rolleyes: