Author Topic: learn brakeless  (Read 9751 times)

darkwave101

learn brakeless
« on: March 15, 2008, 11:16:07 PM »
ok just want to kno how you guys learned to go brakless, as i would lke to learn my self any tips

Offline bloody0sabbath

• Backpacker
Re: learn brakeless
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 11:17:12 PM »
just do it.
I'd Yield to the devil instantly, Did it not happen that myself am he!

Max S

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 11:20:05 PM »
My riding progressed A LOT faster once I took my brakes off.  It forced me to focus on rolling tricks and to my surprise I found the smoother rolling style to be way easier.  It has been nearly 3 years since I have had brakes, but I just ordered a front from Pat Thursday so I am going to see how that goes.

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 01:33:21 AM »
I have been brakeless almost as long as Ive been riding.

The best tip: Go for it.  Imagine trying to find that "natural" brake, where you can stop your momentum, do what you need to do, then keep going.

I'm actually going to put a brake on, and try it out.  There are a few tricks that Ive been trying brakeless for quite a few months now, and can't seem to get them.

Brakeless is fun as hell though.

Enjoy.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 06:44:44 AM »
why go brakeless? just learn your tricks without using your brakes. not having brakes limits you from doing lots of tricks. some guys go brakless because they dont have a choice... not having x or x part for there brakes and taking them off.
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Max S

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 07:43:26 AM »
why go brakeless? just learn your tricks without using your brakes. not having brakes limits you from doing lots of tricks. some guys go brakless because they dont have a choice... not having x or x part for there brakes and taking them off.
I agree with you to an extent, but "to me" not having brakes has a totally different feeling.  I approach riding differently and my bike actually feels and handles different.  I can't really put it into words.  Brakeless just feels more natural and free feeliing.  Almost like breathing fresh air.  I'm in the same boat as Tyler in that there are just a couple of tricks that I have been experimenting with that a brake will help make possible.  I already have a bad feeling about cluttering up my handlebars so we will see how long it stays on.

Offline Sagaris

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 10:39:48 AM »
I've been brakeless for about a year and a half and I guess it's not all that bad. It has enabled me to progress very fast with my front wheel riding I guess but there are always some tricks that are just better and in fact only possible with brakes.

darkwave101

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 05:10:16 PM »
I think one of the reasons as i hate fixing brakes and sh*t, plus the brakes feel more of a pain in the a*se when riding, plus i like the look of bikes with out brakes

Phatman

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 05:32:17 PM »
One thing i realised is there where somethings i couldnt do without brakes. (I dont know the names of tricks i just do them) But i had a pretty severe injury & my balance is shot so now im going for physiotherapy/yoga pretty much to learn balance again! i really cant wait to ride again & my bike shall have brakes.

Offline tranqulized

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 06:23:30 PM »
I been brakeless for about 4 years now.... it forced me to focus on rolling tricks... I went from pretty much only doing funky chickens, wheelchairs, side squeaks, decades, and firehydrants to spinning hitch hikers with most of the front wheel double footed rolling good enough to link with in less than a year.... I learned a lot of stuff really fast...
since then, i've more or less hit a peak where I haven't really learned many new tricks, just more variations and links...

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 08:48:56 PM »
i got an idea... when you start riding as a beginner, ride with brakes. when you progress and feel youll improve without them, take them off. when you get to the point that a trick isnt possible without brakes, and you dialed all of your brake-less tricks, then put them back on and be able to do it allll  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline tranqulized

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
I tried that, but I got mad at them being in the way too much, so they didn't stay on there very long...
If I want to toy around with a brake I have access to other peoples bikes... I'll qoute this from someone I've talked to online "Once you go brakeless going back is like going to live with mutt.... its a nice place to stay for a lil while, but you just wouldn't want to live there...."

Offline h82luz

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »
i learned and always rode brakeless because the breaks seemed to be in the way of scuffing when i was starting out. although i havent rode in 2 years and now im starting back im thinking about trying a front brake just to see if it might help in getting around the bike.

jim shorts

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 01:48:47 AM »
i started out brakeless in street, 7 years ago. i've never run a brake.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 01:51:39 AM by jim shorts »

Offline Selected

• Hitchhiker
  • "I used to be an English major."
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 07:27:41 AM »
I don't understand how riding without brakes is like "a breath of fresh air." Props to all those who ride brakeless, but the brake is a useful tool, indeed. 
Welcome to the truth of flatland. (Wilkes-Barre, Pa - Represent)