Author Topic: Hang 5  (Read 6135 times)

jbkid

Hang 5
« on: March 15, 2008, 02:47:20 AM »
Ive been working on learning the hang 5 and i was wondering about how fast you should go...like if i was too push the bike instead of pedaling would that be enough speed???

Offline lJohnnyTheFoxl

• Cliffhanger
Re: Hang 5
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 02:55:18 AM »
go exactly as fast as you want.  I keep it to a speed that's fast enough to make balancing easy, but not so fast that I eat pavement if I try to put my foot down.

jbkid

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 02:57:13 AM »
ok, i just wanted to make sure there wasn't a limit or something cause i only got a driveway to ride in for now... Thx.

jbkid

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 03:01:44 AM »
Seeming how im in the mood for some info... any suggestions on the megaspins as far as pumping it??? I can do 3 full rotations so far but than i lose momentum...

Max S

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 03:18:45 AM »
As far as hang 5's go, start out slow (only to get a feel for pushing on the bars and bringing the rear up). Once you get comfortable with that, more speed only makes it easier/smoother IMO.

jbkid

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 03:26:38 AM »
ok...thx. i think i may need to raise my seat a little bit though cause im 6'1 and its always felt like it sits a little lower than it should...would that help???

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 05:17:11 AM »
ok...thx. i think i may need to raise my seat a little bit though cause im 6'1 and its always felt like it sits a little lower than it should...would that help???

maybe. keep alen keys with you to make adjustments to get it justttt righhttttt
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

jbkid

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 05:26:49 PM »
ok i will do that...im gonna work on em again here in a little bit...im waiting to see if the ground dries up a little more...I hate the wet grounds...it makes the pegs so slippery...

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 08:52:43 PM »
im starting to get my hang fives also. try leaning forward more then you think you need to, and the seat doesnt play to big of a role in the hang 5.
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Max S

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 09:16:38 PM »
Just keep trying and DON'T GIVE UP.  I remember when I was first learning them, it took me 3 months of trying for hours EVERYDAY.  It was the most frustrating thing that I have ever tried to learn because no matter how much I practiced I felt as though I was getting nowhere, then one day I just popped up there and started rolling.  Most everyone has a story like this, except for Kevin Jones, he did it on his first try.  He thought it would be a cool way to get into a Squeaker and the Hang 5 was invented.(?)

joshd

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 09:20:14 PM »
im starting to get my hang fives also. try leaning forward more then you think you need to, and the seat doesnt play to big of a role in the hang 5.

:huh:

you have to be stuck to it...so yeah it does.

seriously dood...how long have you been riding?  it doesn't seem like very long, yet you argue and give advice on just about everything.

jd.

jbkid

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 02:25:39 AM »
Ok thanks for everyones advice...i raised my seat a bit and i got a pretty good roll going and i also ate the pavement a couple times but, who hasn't???...sooo im gonna keep working on em, and spring breaks coming up friday so i can get more time in...thx. again... ^_^ :beer:

Offline Vic

• Cliffhanger
  • New Zealand
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 03:38:33 AM »
I spent hours working on it yesterday and I'm ever so close to getting it, but I just keep flipping over the bars. I never land on my hands, only twice when I first started. If I push the bars too far I go over, if I don't, it goes back down. Why can't I find that middle spot?

I tried raising my seat so I can feel it a bit now, my aim is to push the bars down until I can't any further because of the seat locking in.. should I stick to this plan, or just try to aim for that elusive balance point while having the seat gently in place? I think I'll stick to this plan because it'll help with hang nothings later on.
But this is also bad because I really want to learn Cliffhangers next, but if I can't push the bars down any further without flipping over, how do I get into it?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 03:42:10 AM by Vic »
griOt: "I suggest start learning Hang5. This trick will open a lot of doors, such as courage"

Max S

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 04:04:50 AM »
Here is another way to look at it.  Let's say that there is a pole approximately 6 inches high that is horizontal with the ground (this represents your peg).  Think about taking a step forward onto that pole and balancing on it (try to really visualize this or even do it if you have something that will work).  Now think of taking your front wheel off and fastening your fork's dropouts to that same pole.  Step forward except this time you have the handlebars as well as the weight of the rear of the bike that you can use to compensate for any loss of balance.  That is a hang 5.  Essentially all you are trying to accomplish is balancing while moving forwards on this pole/peg. This may not make sense for some, but finding different ways to relate to certain things helps me see/understand how they work.  I am an abstract thinker/learner.

joshd

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 05:57:22 AM »
vic,
do you run offset bars?  if so, flip em around and try it.  4 cliffs that is.  i cant do them but that advice was given to me by someone who can...

anyway, do you have any vid of you doin hang5s?  maybe we can see what you are doing wrong.  some things that helped me, raising my seat pretty high, bending my standing knee a little, cocking my wrists, and a few thousand tries...

:)

jd.