Author Topic: geisha light??  (Read 4043 times)

Offline yobiker

geisha light??
« on: March 09, 2008, 08:29:22 PM »
anybody ride one?
Did they address the issues the old one had like the small side to side play??

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
Re: geisha light??
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:39:31 PM »
No side to side play, although it still clicks and clanks when i pedal.

Max S

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:11:23 AM »
I never had the side to side play or any of the noises that Peter speaks of, but I see that Pat has the new Geisha Lights up on F/F's website.  Expensive, but they look damn sexy!

Offline VojTECH

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 09:55:19 AM »
What's the point of buying the new Geisha light wheelset, when it's actually heavier (according to Flatlandfuel) and more expensive than the old one?

Even if I add the cost of new bearings for my 1st generation Geisha, the older wheelset still turns out cheaper...

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 11:09:25 AM »
What's the point of buying the new Geisha light wheelset, when it's actually heavier (according to Flatlandfuel) and more expensive than the old one?

Even if I add the cost of new bearings for my 1st generation Geisha, the older wheelset still turns out cheaper...

Smaller flange hubs may be lighter, but the spokes need to be that little bit longer, so the overall weight will be nearly equal because hubs are al and spokes are usually ss, and ss is heavier than al.

I was also told there is some minor differences within the new light hub compared to the original, but the reason for the light wheelset being heavier will be because of different rims and spokes, not the hub.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 11:16:27 AM »
anybody ride one?
Did they address the issues the old one had like the small side to side play??

Side to side play means you haven't put it back together right. It happened to me once and I dismantled then reassembled it and problem solved.

As for clicking, it just needs some grease and running in...voila, problem solved. If it persists and you run a tight chain, oil the bb bearings as the click gets amplified through the chain into the bb.  Chains needs some lubing, [oil it then clean excess with rag] bearings need oil, and freecoasters need grease.

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 11:00:28 PM »
i dont like the whole thing of different spoke lengths...

Offline gonz

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 05:55:10 AM »
what would the length of the spokes for geisha light?

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 05:59:04 AM »
what would the length of the spokes for geisha light?

Depends on your rim and lacing pattern. Do a search for spoke length calculators.

Offline gonz

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 06:40:18 AM »
spoke for radial lacing.. i found some spoke calculator website but i dont know the size of the flange for geisha light.. i believe its 167mm for the driver side but iam not sure what's the length for the other side..