Author Topic: My Bike Building Questions  (Read 5438 times)

Offline dc5streetkid

My Bike Building Questions
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:38:35 PM »
I started flatland last year and I started with a KHE Stylus. I recently decided to upgrade some stuff because I've been waiting to put anything on it. So I did research and searched the forms and this is what I got setup:

1) Suelo V2 Forks in Pearl Green
2) Suelo V2 9 Butt Bars Pearl Green
3) KHE Geisha Freecoaster 9t
4) KHE Geisha Front Hub 36h
5) Sun Rhynolite XL Ltd Edition 36h Rims
6) Profile Imperial 22t Sprocket Anodized Green
7) KMC SuperLite Kool Hollowpin Chain Gold

-Everything else is off my complete. I was wondering, What Cranks you all would suggest for my setup.

-Frame wise I am choosing between: Suelo Simple V2 Frame(18.8"tt),  St. Martin Happy Place 2(I don't think I want a 19tt, i really like my stylus tt length, I was think an 18.5-18.8), Zion Luna frame(18.7"tt), or the OG Kun Fu (18.75"tt). Which of these (or possibly others) frames Would you suggest for me?

-Stem is the last thing I'd be changing for a while. I hear good things about The Hook but I hear problems with it fitting the suelo bars cause of the welds.. I really really don't want to file down anything and compromise strength. So your recomendations?

Thanks much guys(and girls)!

-Chase

Offline Patrick Stadler

• Backpacker
  • awesome !
Re: My Bike Building Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 10:19:44 PM »
the ST-Martin cranks  would look killer on there :P and also filling the edges off the stem will not compromise strenght unless you take ALOT out ;D

Offline dc5streetkid

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 10:38:11 PM »
well I didn't know how much I would have to file off in order to get it to work. I would rather just not hassle with it because obviously they made it like that for a reason, or maybe not and I'm paranoid, i just don't like tweaking with it hah.

-Suelo Cranks? How much those run me, and what are the specifics on 'em?
-I'm still trying to figure out the reach and what not 145mm-150mm, I have no idea what kind I would like to go with.
-The 1pc cranks i have right now, the reach on them is perfect, but from what I understand it changes when you put them on a new frame depending on the bottom bracket?

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 10:46:56 PM »
The reach, (ie. 145mm-165mm) is measured from the crank arms. So if you change frames this stays the same. I would recommend 160mm cranks, suelos are nice cranks, I also am currently running st martins and they've held up fine and are really light. For the frame I'd recommend a KGB psyconnecta, it comes in 18.5" tt.
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 02:19:42 AM »
Instead of changing everything at once, do one thing at a time. changing everything will feel to weird, but you can get used to new bars, fork etc more easily then all at once.
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline lJohnnyTheFoxl

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 09:12:39 AM »
Instead of changing everything at once, do one thing at a time. changing everything will feel to weird, but you can get used to new bars, fork etc more easily then all at once.

I couldn't disagree more.  The sooner you build yourself a top-notch bike, the better.  If you're dead set on getting it eventually, why not just get it now instead of waiting?

I got the Suelo bars and a stem that was too wide for the grip area on the bar.  I just clamped the handlebar on without filing down a thing, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 07:43:14 PM »

I couldn't disagree more.  The sooner you build yourself a top-notch bike, the better.  If you're dead set on getting it eventually, why not just get it now instead of waiting?

I got the Suelo bars and a stem that was too wide for the grip area on the bar.  I just clamped the handlebar on without filing down a thing, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

I agree that a top-notch bike is better then a beginner such as the stylus, but all im saying is that once youve ridden a bike for a year, changing pretty much all the parts at once makes doing the tricks you know odd to do. if you build it peace by peace, you advance more gradually rather then taking a while to get the feel of the new setup and THEN advancing.
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline dc5streetkid

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 05:01:41 AM »
I understand what you're saying but I seem to adapt pretty quickly and hasn't affected my riding too much.