Author Topic: Kevin Jones was inspired by these riders  (Read 9257 times)

Offline jmctigret

• Backpacker
Kevin Jones was inspired by these riders
« on: January 31, 2008, 04:27:15 AM »
Send me an Angel

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Kevin Jones was inspired by these riders
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 04:28:15 AM »
Im inspired by myself, and any rider that works hard to reach a goal- look deep in your heart for your inspiration :mellow: :mellow:
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline ToneBone

• Hitchhiker
  • Lion in Zion
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 06:12:18 AM »
I'm inspired by Kevin Jones.
Ride in the Wind

Offline jffe

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:38:07 AM »
----Rad was lame when I saw it at the theater, and it's not worth mentioning now for gawd's sake, let = it go.  :rolleyes:

jffe

TJ Perry

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 06:42:10 AM »
----Rad was lame when I saw it at the theater, and it's not worth mentioning now for gawd's sake, let = it go.  :rolleyes:

jffe

Laffo.

I never understood the appeal of Rad. I couldn't get past the whole it being set in the dead heat of the 80s.

For christs sake, that movie made me want to do lots of cocaine and vote for Ronald Reagan.

Offline ToneBone

• Hitchhiker
  • Lion in Zion
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 02:10:06 PM »
RAD to us was a whole lotta watching the opening..rewind, watch the opening again..fastforward to the end...rewind, watch the end again..rewind
Ride in the Wind

Offline Rich

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 02:44:17 PM »
The appeal was the opening and closing credits.

jmctigret--you are a genius at getting the new schoolers all worked up.  Too funny.

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
    • www.myspace/richardmccoy.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »
Who exactly was nostalgia designed for?

I'm selling $3000 baseballs.

Anyone?

RAD was cool in that it was nice just seeing riding on the big screen.

The Movie was terrible..and yielded two things...a semi decent mixable song but no good stand alone.

It did what ESPN kind of did without that same thanks.

I picked up pegs from my cousin in 83 but didnt get super amped untill Rad.

After I learned the entire opening and closing sequences and that ****ed up Dance USA format "School Dance" (I cant recall if Scura did the pedaling death truck thingy..never got that..lol) the movie lost its effect.

But then again that ovalteen and first mountain dew commercial probably had more influence on me. I think we can say thank you Rad without having to show up to celebrate its birthday every god damned year.

Rad IS NO MLK or for Stereo.....

RAD is NO JFK.  :wacko:

He'll get it.

^_^

jffe do you have that old Ovalteen commercial anywhere?

You know which one? What about the Mountain Dew commercial with Eddie and everyone playing European rules football BMX?

I rooted for Bart over Cru anyhow. He had the ladies and in a blingy 1998 context he was WAYEE more advanced than Crue who couldnt secure one "ho"..lol

Bart had the look and confidense.

Damn Cru for ending Bart Taylors dynasty.

Cant we get a RAD 2000 (yes takes plce in the year 2000) but filmed in 2008?

I mean the Empire lost round one...the Rebels lost round two...the Empire lost round ..damnit toooo many times for me it ends in a Star Wars metephore.

Justin Miller could be WAIt that was last year...Mattais could play Cru and Martti could be Bart Taylor who gained control of his Mongoose as it sputterd off into the cosmos. and we thought it was over.

I wonder if Bart looks back at his Olympic experience being a simple shadow in the light of Rad.

If they did it now however Im sure Tony Hawk would get the casting role for Cru..just like WalMart is full of Tony Hawk................... BMX bikes.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:36:29 PM by JFos »
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

Offline jffe

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 10:03:28 PM »
jffe do you have that old Ovalteen commercial anywhere?

You know which one? What about the Mountain Dew commercial with Eddie and everyone playing European rules football BMX?

----I didn't know Ovalteen had a commercial, let alone one with freestylers in it. I recall some gheye Mountain Dew one back in the mid to late 80's, but it was already years behind the times. Like that 'Rad' movie. By the time Rad was out on video, it was ancient, hell by the time it theaters I was already doing 2/3 of the stuff in it and I had just gotten a set of pegs and handbrakes for my old beginner redline racing bike when I read about Rad's imminent release to theaters that summer in BmxPlus or Freestylin' or whatever was at the grocery store in those days. I guess the intro/outro of Rad, with just the guys riding in their normal contest clown outfits was kinda cool, just because it was several of them at once, and 'on the big screen', but the movie itself sucked of course, and those 3 mins of normal riding weren't even current by the time it hit home video rental places or late night/Sunday afternoon cable tv stations, which is where most people saw it anyways.

jffe

Offline monis

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 10:44:24 PM »
I used to love that Mountain Dew commercial back in 85.  I think that commercial changed my life forever.  anyone remember the cheerios commercial with flatland?

Offline riderx

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 11:05:24 PM »
all i can say is that i saw rad in the theater.twice

Offline godsgreengrass

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 11:21:53 PM »
Woody itston tailwhip on opening credits of davied letterman, dave did alot more for flatland then those others. Rad made the first spotlight on sport in movies and thats postive

Offline Mazur

• Cliffhanger
  • Central New York Freaks!
    • Void Dweller Industries
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 11:39:22 PM »
Its weird, cause i remember seeing the movie 'thrasher' and thought wow, skate movie. Then a few weeks later seeing RAD. I thought it was decent, not really getting the concept. It wasn't until the local skaters were talkin to me at a convenience store when their one lone rider pulled up and busted a double tailwhip to decade a few feet in front of me and i said 'holy sh*t, get me a bike'. That was '89.

A few days later i rigged up a ride(skaters older bro had a Cyclepro laying around). then I recorded RAD to watch the beginning and end , too. Then someone had a copy of a copy of Dorkin in york. And THAT got copied over RAD.  ^_^

Remember talking about vidoes in "generations"? 
"Hey, i got a 3rd gen copy of realiTV" - "I got a 2nd gen Aggroman".

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 11:47:49 PM »
I have yet to find a girl stoked on the idea of "ass sliding" on a date...

h_man

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 11:48:46 PM »
Its weird, cause i remember seeing the movie 'thrasher' and thought wow, skate movie. Then a few weeks later seeing RAD. I thought it was decent, not really getting the concept. It wasn't until the local skaters were talkin to me at a convenience store when their one lone rider pulled up and busted a double tailwhip to decade a few feet in front of me and i said 'holy ****, get me a bike'. That was '89.

A few days later i rigged up a ride(skaters older bro had a Cyclepro laying around). then I recorded RAD to watch the beginning and end , too. Then someone had a copy of a copy of Dorkin in york. And THAT got copied over RAD.  ^_^

Remember talking about vidoes in "generations"? 
"Hey, i got a 3rd gen copy of realiTV" - "I got a 2nd gen Aggroman".

Wasn't Leif Garett that blond bloke in Thrasher the skateboard film ?