Author Topic: top tube lenght question  (Read 2055 times)

BMXfreak

top tube lenght question
« on: January 22, 2008, 04:58:29 PM »
hey im riding an 18.8 inch simple right now and im around 5 and a half feet tall
im thinkin about gettin a bad thing frame but it only comes 18.6 or 19 so what do you think would be better for someone my hieght? longer or shorter

id rather get the 18.6 cause i like the raw finish a lot and its $100 cheaper but wasnt sure if that would be to short for me so if your around my hieght just tell me what works for you.

Budz

Re: top tube lenght question
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 05:17:08 PM »
id say the 18.6" would fit u better for your size, but in the end it comes down to a matter of preference.
if u are riding an 18.8" now, either frame wouldnt be too far off from what youre used to already.
if u are comfortable on the 18.8"- ask yourself this, "do i need it to be a hair longer? or a hair shorter"?...like if u think u need a bit more leg room-go with the 19". but if u think u need a bit less room-go with the 18.6".
we can all sit here and think we know whats best for u, but like i said, it comes down to u.
ask yourself those 2 questions while youre out riding the frame your on now, and take it from there. ;)
peace.

Budz

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 05:19:05 PM »
btw..whats wrong with your Simple?

Offline lJohnnyTheFoxl

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »
Yeah you'll hardly notice .2 inch.  I think a different HT or ST angle would have as much or more of an impact on the difference in feel than .2 inches in the TT, you might want to look into that as well.  I believe that unless you're hovering between 6 and 7 feet tall, a TT around 18-18.5 will be long enough to ride comfortably, but short enough to give you enhanced control during tricks.  But it's 100% personal preference.

Offline PeterJ

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 07:33:17 PM »
I do not see why you cant make this desicion yourself since it is only 0.4''/1cm :huh:
If 18.8'' barely fits then go with 19'' if not then do the 18.6''
I think you will not even feel the difference between the TT length.
Only the other factors in the frame.

TJ Perry

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 08:19:35 PM »
Are you the same person I had a lengthy conversation about this topic on AIM with the other night?

heed my words about roominess my friend. Makes all the difference in the world! :beer:

BMXfreak

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:01:16 PM »
no that wasnt me you were talking to on aim  and if i do get it id probobly go for the 18.6 just because its $100 cheaper and i dont have that much money and i like the raw finish a lot, i probobly wont even notice .2 inches either way

and i love my simple but i really like the a bad thing frame, thinkin maybe its time to switch it up

timk4130

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 09:15:10 PM »
Are you the same person I had a lengthy conversation about this topic on AIM with the other night?

heed my words about roominess my friend. Makes all the difference in the world! :beer:

im your same height!!!

and i ride  close to a 19'' tt

i have to quote tj on this because it is sooooo true!!!

if  i had to choose;
i would keep the simple, and  find other   ways of putting $$$ back into flatland......... maybe a new set of wheels, or what-not!!!

take care-

tim

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 12:57:57 AM »
hey im riding an 18.8 inch simple right now and im around 5 and a half feet tall
im thinkin about gettin a bad thing frame but it only comes 18.6 or 19 so what do you think would be better for someone my hieght? longer or shorter

id rather get the 18.6 cause i like the raw finish a lot and its $100 cheaper but wasnt sure if that would be to short for me so if your around my hieght just tell me what works for you.

I do not see why you cant make this desicion yourself since it is only 0.4''/1cm :huh:
If 18.8'' barely fits then go with 19'' if not then do the 18.6''
I think you will not even feel the difference between the TT length.
Only the other factors in the frame.

If your comfortable on the simple then pick up the 18.6, you wont notice the difference.
If you feel like that the simple is too short for you pick up the 19" version.
Its all about your personal preference and not what someone else your height is riding.
Its as simple as that.