Author Topic: Need help shedding some weight off my bike!!!  (Read 6735 times)

Need help shedding some weight off my bike!!!
« on: January 17, 2008, 11:06:55 PM »
My bike weighs in a 27.5 lbs.

Equilbruim frame
ares flatland fork
Khe Dafu handlbars
Prime balance rear and front
HELPPP
Is there any thing I can do

Offline E. Marx

• Cliffhanger
Re: Need help shedding some weight off my bike!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 11:16:15 PM »
how much money are you willing to spend?
Sanity is only the commonly accepted level of insanity.

TJ Perry

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 11:35:16 PM »
You could drop a lot of weight with that Ares flatland fork.

What is the rest of your set up so I have a better idea of what to recommend?

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 11:47:25 PM »
It'll cost a lot, because all of your large parts are already pretty light.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 11:54:06 PM »
Diatech brakes the fiesta's. Odyssey thermal cranks. Eastern sprocket. thats about it..
Odyssey freecoaster

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 11:54:49 PM »
how much money are you willing to spend?
Don't know yet. Where do I start besides the forks?

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:57:18 PM »
Bizhouse pegs up front and some crappy street pegs, which I know I need to get rid of. What do you guys think about plastic pegs?

TJ Perry

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 12:03:49 AM »
Bizhouse pegs up front and some crappy street pegs, which I know I need to get rid of. What do you guys think about plastic pegs?

Get rid of the bizhouse pegs for sure. They're tanks compared to what's on the market. The plastic pegs I've been testing are undergoing some serious design changes to bring to the flatland market what will most likely be considered the new standard by which plastic pegs (and most pegs in general) will be judged. Unfortunately I can't say WHEN they will be ready since it's still in the prototyping phase but nothing, absolutely nothing, on the market is going to be like them.

That being said, you could upgrade to two different sets of pegs and shed a ton of weight in the meantime with something else. If price isn't an option you could go for the suelo magnesiums, or some sequence pegs. Hell, I have a set of 1.5 sequence pegs I don't mind selling you for a halfway decent price (they're really not all that beat up)

Just ditch the bizhouse and street pegs.

You could switch to the ares/wellgo pedals because believe it or not, if you're running aluminum pedals or KHEs you will notice a huge difference in weight between those and the wellgos. You could also pick up some 1.75 Gs if you havn't already. If you ride solely front wheel, throw a lighter rim in the back because the primo balance rims really arn't as light as you could go.

Get rid of the forks for sure and the pegs.

What cranks are you running? What seat and seatpost?

Just go through and post your whole set up like I said because I can't really tell where you could spare the cut if I don't know the whole picture.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 12:15:01 AM »
Odyssey 41 thermal cranks, haro seat post(I know) and primo hemmoriod seat.

Offline E. Marx

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 12:21:12 AM »
you can definately drop some weight with the cranks, maybe a ti spindle, smaller profile crankarms or just a whole new aluminum crankset(unless your afriad of breaking them or whatever)

buy khe premium tires to drop maybe 1.5-2.5 pounds depending on your current tires. buy twiggy or redline tubes.  as i learned recently KHEs have a weaker sidewall, ive been running the G's since they were recommended to me a couple days ago, by everybody on here(thanks for the deal therifraf :beer:) although they arent nearly as light as KHE's

if you do anything, definately get new forks, most of ares parts are really heavy.

take off your brakes you may lose .5 a pound if ur lucky

lighter pegs without a doubt
plastic wellgos like tj said
new seatpost because chances are that haro is way heavier then it has to be
maybe buy the alloy superlight hemorhoid seat to drop 6-7 ounces

for completely free alternatives,

drill large diameter holes (at least an inch) into almost every part of your bike you can lay your eyes on, including, crank arms, top tube, down tube, stem, seat, fork, dropouts, chainstays, and bars  ;D

for utterly ridiculously expensive alternatives

buy a ti frame
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 12:28:31 AM by Perfect »
Sanity is only the commonly accepted level of insanity.

TJ Perry

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 12:35:43 AM »
Odyssey 41 thermal cranks, haro seat post(I know) and primo hemmoriod seat.

Ti spindle for the cranks, ditch the seatpost for an intact, get a primo alloy, replace the forks, replace pedals with wellgos, pick up a new rim or two.

There you go, easy as pie.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 12:48:56 AM »
Here I go plugging it again... but the Macneil 330 post and a pivotal seat (I'm running a Primo Balance...) will shave a very noticeable amount of weight off your bike. I was already running an Intac post and that Ares/Velo seat, and I still noticed a large drop.

TJ Perry

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 12:53:53 AM »
Here I go plugging it again... but the Macneil 330 post and a pivotal seat (I'm running a Primo Balance...) will shave a very noticeable amount of weight off your bike. I was already running an Intac post and that Ares/Velo seat, and I still noticed a large drop.

This too. I just havn't found a pivotal seatI really liked yet.

Offline str8rollin

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 01:26:58 AM »
if ur mostly on the front wheel you could keep the forks. i took a pound off my bike today, switchin from a shadow conspiracy chain which was too long, to a normal cheap chain that i shorten to where my wheel is as far up as it will go.

im tryna get my back end a little lighter, gonna get rid of this primo rod and 99er, which i think is a little over 2lbs.

seems like pegs wheel and tires would be the most important things to change for taking off back end weight cuz its at the very end of the bike.

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 03:01:48 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys...