Poll

Should Flatland Pro riders get monthly money from their bike sponsor if the company could pay some?

yes, even its only little money and a symbol
110 (81.5%)
no
25 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: I quit my sponsorship with KHE because.....  (Read 37510 times)

Offline Flo Sailer

• Hitchhiker
    • Show&Eventagentur für darstellende Bmx- Kunst
I quit my sponsorship with KHE because.....
« on: December 11, 2007, 02:41:17 PM »
hi to everybody and especially to the riders out there who try to make their living out of flatland.

i quit my sponsorship with khe last friday.
first i want to say that khe did good stuff and i´m thankfull to their part support for the last 3 years!
so leaving my bike sponsor is just bad for me but i did it because i think there must be new standards in sponsoring!

pro or world team riders should get monthly + travel money and flow team riders parts.

i want to make clear that i don´t want to "fight" for myself for me it was enough to get just parts but leaving khe is to set an example it´s a protest! i want to show that the team riders are the backbone of a company and that pro riders should get more respect for their work because team riders are also assistants!

it´s clear that small companies with just 5-6 parts on the market and 2 assistants could not pay monex to their team but bigger "player" in that game could and should! and khe is deffinitly a bigger "player" in that bussines.

yes, flatland is a small market but if a company uses names of riders for a "world team" this riders should be paid for it!

it´s clear that lot of people will hate on me now because i did this step and said my opinion but i did not let me shut up from people who be afraid of changing the status quo! and yes, i explained my opinion to khe headquater very often but they give no statement and don´t wanted to change something so i decided to bring this in the public with the hope to change something!

khe and some other companies could deffinitly pay some money to their elite flat riders! didn´t street world team or pro riders also get money?

this thread is not to hate on khe or any company it´s to diskuss about that issue and change something in the mind of the companies!
flatland pro riders should be allowed to make their living out of their "sport" and the bike companies wich could, should help them!
so i attached a poll at this thread!

please vote and disskus espacially rider who be related to this!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 02:44:47 PM by Flo Sailer »
Die Rechtsfähigkeit des Menschen beginnt mit der Vollendung der Geburt.

Offline Burd

• Cliffhanger
Re: I quit my sponsorship with KHE because.....
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 04:03:37 PM »
I voted "no" because I don't think you can say any company *should* do anything in this situation.  If pro riders are willing to ride for a company for no money, then those companies aren't going to pay.  Flo, if you quitting KHE impacts their sales to the point where they feel that they were doing better with you than without you, then I'm sure you'll start seeing some checks.  If not, then you won't.

Alex J. and Matthias obviously agree with you since they left KHE and started A Bad Thing on their own.

I guess to summarize my thoughts without writing a novel, I don't think flat companies should pay riders just for the sake of paying them.  That said, I think you did the right thing in leaving KHE.  If they're not giving you what you think you deserve, then you gotta cut the cord.

Offline effraim

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 04:52:45 PM »
I totally agree with you Flo, thats maybe a big step you did in terms of showing other riders what is right. Take the "pro" riders out of Khe, and its my opinion that product wouldnt sell, so the rider is worth something, in terms of marketing, branding, whatever. However, the pro rider should work to promote the company if being paid, the best example i can think of is Terry Adams, he is a "professional" in every sense of the word.
Imagine Khe with no Bram, Justin, Waldemar, Jesse....

more power to you Flo

Offline Flo Sailer

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 05:57:22 PM »
thanks effraim for your comment. this gives me motivation and shows me that i´m not "crazy" and i did not stand alone with my point of view.

riders wake up!

i don´t want to bash companies just bringing something in a new and better direction!

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 06:27:45 PM »
i can`t even think to be sponsored by any brand but i think you made big step. the time will tell if it`s good or bad one. but you know how they sey : no risk no fun  -_-

Offline Revan23

• Cliffhanger
  • stop raining!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »
im not so sure... if a company in such a small sport is prepared to give you free parts and support,  i think it's a bit of an insult to throw it back at them because you want even more.  i think you should consider yourself lucky to get support.  i dont know you so this is just a generalisation, but unless KHE needs you more than you need them and can't find anyone to replace you , and of course unless you're creating revenue for them. you're in no position to demand money.  thats just my opinion, good luck whatever you do  :beer:

Offline Flo Sailer

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 07:03:25 PM »
@revan23

i have to accent here again that i do this not for myself because for me it was ok to get parts (i write that below) i did this step to bring a discussion up about that and i do this with the hope to change something in generell.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 07:06:12 PM by Flo Sailer »

Offline Scott O

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 07:20:16 PM »
In my opinion the industry needs a standard.

Pro / World Team = Salary and of course parts.

Co / Flow Team = Parts and possible entry fee's.

*Of course if any company can help with travel thats great for the rider BUT the company needs the rider there to promote so thats an equal trade off.

With the above stated we must always keep in mind that the rider must do just as much for the company. The rider must be pro active in media and ways to promote the brand.

Its ok if a company can only sponsor one Pro rider , Hell its ok if they can't sponsor any. Just be fair and honest to the reality of the situation.

Good luck Flo. I applaud your courage.

www.voodoojam.com
twitter @emceeob

Offline efxman

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 07:28:25 PM »
You did the right thing.  You offer them a service and that is riding your bike and being the best that you can be and doing so with their products.  People buy their products because you and others are using those products so you should be compensated and I dont think giving you some parts a year at cost would justify it.  I am sure you appreciate the free stuff but if they expect you do be your best which allows you to promote them in the best way then paying you would be the right answer.  Pro Athletes dont have side day job to play a sport, they are paid so they can make a living so they can concentrate on their sport.  No one should think you are on an ego trip for doing what you did.  If you work expect to get paid because in the end you have to make ends meet.

Matt

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 09:04:12 PM »
Flo, I agree with what you've said and done, but the sad reality is, our sport does not make enough money yet, to pay large sums of money. I dont know anything about KHE's financials, but I think maybe they can pay you a bit more, but if you want more money, unfortunately you need to look outside of flatland for sponsorships, like clothing companies, and drink companies, etc, etc.

My suggestion would be to try these companies outside of flatland, like red bull, gatorade, coka cola, nike, vans, loteks, adidas, gap, etc, etc. Flatlanders will never earn as much as mainstream sports pro's, but we have the best sport in the world and not everyone sees it this way. So I voted yes, but I know they cannot pay you as much as bigger companies. Extreme/alternative sports will never equal mainstream sports in salary/wages.

Good luck Flo, your riding ability is inspirational to amateurs like me, ride on and enjoy flatland forever. :beer: :mellow:

ciaran perry

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:52 PM »
companies are there to make money end of there concern for riders shouldnt exist beyond there concern for making products and money thats BUISNESS . The only reason a company flows a rider is so they can use them in adverts to sell there products beyond that a company will make a calculated judgement of a riders worth ,so if your gonna be the reason the company makes 500k in sales that year due to advertising then yeah you will recieve alot more but in reality this sport is small and flo KHE obviously considered what they were doing for you to be the appropriate investment for your worth to them .

Offline Flo Sailer

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 09:28:25 PM »
ok i see i have it to say again:

i did this not for myself. i was pleased with my deal and happy to get stuff. i do this because there is no differnce between world team and flow team. and i think relativly bigger companies like khe should give better deals to there world team riders including salary (even its just a little but it shows the respect and even little money helps the riders) and travel expenses.

there should be a transparent system where all riders now what they can get and what others get...so its also a motivation for the riders to work harder for their sponsor.

the most important is: i want to see that khe and others see teamriders like normal workers means they get money for their work.

Offline stewart

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 09:31:45 PM »
hey fo whats is your name?

Offline Flo Sailer

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 09:33:17 PM »
? mean me..like my name here ..i dont use pseudonyms....

TJ Perry

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 10:09:04 PM »
I personally believe that only competing pros should be sponsered unless they are getting constant video parts and can provide a good outlet for exposing the company. I think the company should reciprocate and help the rider get to as many contests worldwide as they possibly can. It's absolutely ridiculous to just halfass the sponser aspect and just throw a rider a frame and tell them to rep you when you can't even provide the means for them to do it.

It's a symbiotic relationship that needs BOTH parties helping each other to work.

edit: another thing I'd like to add is that I seriously believe that people simply getting flow hurts the companies more than helps. If you arn't at the top of your game, you shouldn't be employed by the company. Because that's what you are when you're sponsered. Its a job title and you are entitled to the benefits of the company and all, but the bottom line is you are WORKING for them, and simply riding your bike isn't working, you gotta rep the name and label too.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:31:16 PM by TJ Perry »