Author Topic: bunny hops  (Read 2147 times)

Offline poonpower

• Funky Chicken
bunny hops
« on: November 18, 2007, 07:55:08 PM »
I've been riding flatland for at least a few months now, and can do a few basic things. But one thing that bothers me the most is I cannot do a proper bunny hop.

I can hop the bike with both wheels going up at the same time, to the height of around 2 or 3 feet. But I just cant bunny hop, like lifting the front wheel up first, then lifting the rear.

I've been reading all the tips and vids but still cant do it, now I've popped my tire going over a curb, which sucks.

Anyone had the same problem and would wanna give some tipssss?

Offline Milenko2121

• GF Inhabitant
  • "Girls come and go, but bikes are forever"
Re: bunny hops
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 08:07:12 PM »
well i'll try and explain how i do them.

pull up like a wheelie then jump(like you're going to pull the bike straight up) and push forward on the bars

took me a long time to learn to bunny hop... most most likely a strength issue though since i was trying to learn them at 10, but never got them till like 14.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 08:09:08 PM by Milenko2121 »
"Sometimes You Just Need To Do Something... Different"

Offline Andy Marsh(Mallow)

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 11:37:51 PM »
2-3 feet?  Not bad.  That's high for a straight up hop.  Just think how high you'll go when you are able to do a real bunny hop.
being small has it's advantages... :mellow:

NoSweatShop.com" BORDER="0

Offline lJohnnyTheFoxl

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 01:06:11 AM »
pull back, then push forward and leap a little with your back legs, to lift the back end of the bike

NiteCamo

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 01:11:58 AM »
I think he over-estimated that 2-3 feet

Offline stopkaiross

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 01:12:18 AM »
it's more than just jumping from a wheelie, you have to pull with your feet, which is wierd at first.  The way i practiced was rolling forward, shift your weight forward and lift the back end up with your feet (kinda pull them up and back) once this feels a little more comfartble, you learn to shift your weight really quick, then you'll learn to pull a wheelie and then imediatly shift forward and bam, you'll bunny hop.

http://www.bmxbasics.org/new/bmx0703.html

thats site tought me how to bunny hop in a day, it breaks it down step by step, I (and my 3 foot hop) highly recommend it.

p.s. 2 foot strait hop! damn,  thats some arm strength, props!

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 08:24:41 PM »
 Practice trying to bunnyhop over something that wont pop your tube like an empty soda can or something,until you make it....

Offline poonpower

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 08:41:14 PM »
thanks guys
I will try again once i buy another tube and replace it, most likely tonight.

Is a straight hop suppose to be harder than a bunny hop? because i can do those all day long, but the bunny hop i just cant do, haha.

Offline siCkWitIt

• Hitchhiker
  • The BANDIT
    • xsitesport
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 08:43:35 PM »
last night I just learned how to perfect it. but i'm from Trinidad and its in the Caribbean and we call it a G-Hop but as people said in the post ahead of me you Try to lift the front of the bike and when you do add extra force and concentrate on the back getting up , might want two prepare yourself for hurting arms and a back because today they are really hurting me !!!!!
"Duck tape is like the force, it has a light side...... a dark side.....and it holds the universe together" Mikato Soul

Offline k.lashelle

• Funky Chicken
  • Jahoobs #73
    • MySpace
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 07:33:26 PM »
I think he over-estimated that 2-3 feet

aha yea thats like
probably the height of ur bike
"there's no point in democracy when ignorance is celebrated" NOFX

Offline poonpower

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 02:35:12 AM »
a foot is like the length of a sub, which is not very long.

anywho, it started snowing here, which sucks cus I got the tube and was hoping to go ride for a bit, haha.

maybe when it gets warmer.

Duncan

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 07:30:02 AM »
2-3 feet straight up is huge. 2-3 feet with a normal bunny hop is slightly above average. You can't straight bunny hop more than you can jump straight legged really. I'd love to see you leap 3 feet in the air with straight legs.

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 08:06:22 PM »
 This is how I learned bunnyhops-jumping off curb jumps and trying to get alot of pop out of them...It teaches you to pull the front end up and tuck the bike up with your legs and all that sh*t...The first bunnyhop I ever did was off some black thing on the road that I thought was a bump and I was gonna bump jump off of it but when I landed I found out it was just a spot on the ground and I  just did a bunnyhop!!