Author Topic: Worst flatland injuries?  (Read 15561 times)

Offline Axlepeg

• Funky Chicken
Worst flatland injuries?
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:50:30 PM »
I've had plenty of blood, smashed shins, some stitches, but nothing too serious to report.  I can probably attribute some arthritis in my hands to it, long-term, but I'm curious about what others have seen or heard of.  I've seen guys get hit in the junk so hard that they've puked, and I know a guy that broke a leg while learning  bar rides, but I've never really seen any physical trauma first-hand.
Anyone?  I know that there are plenty gnarly sprained ankles and wrists, but have you had or seen worse?  Somebody has had to not get their hands out in front of them and done a lip-skid or have a bike bounce up and give them a peg to the face?
(Morbidly) Curious. :wacko:
-Thanks

Offline rotary_phone_dialer

• Backpacker
Re: Worst flatland injuries?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 09:05:25 PM »
i ate sh*t hard last night on the un-bike....thought i broke my knee for a sec
http://www.innertwineclothing.com - Flatland Team  - Jesse Puente, Pete Brandt, Trevlon Hall and Eric Wright

Offline @venicebch

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 09:11:19 PM »
half hiker gone wrong, dropped the back end of bike on my foot, pedal smashes toe, bike gets stuck on me as im bailing... smashed the inside of my palm with my bar end

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:13:19 PM »
Fractured ankle from the Whiplash Fairy...
Cracked tailbone from the Halfpacker Fairy...

Offline Le_Polonais

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 09:15:54 PM »
Ate f*ck on a spinning caboose with the leg over the toptube maybe 4-5 years ago when i was less adept at falling, faceplant to the ground

Knocked myself out once doing a steamboat jump over switch, got tangled up and fell backwards onto my head  :beer:

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 09:23:36 PM »
fell and twisted my ankle like 100 degrees against the wheel, i tore a tiny piece of my ligament, happened almost a year ago and still riding with ankle brace

Offline Milenko2121

• GF Inhabitant
  • "Girls come and go, but bikes are forever"
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 09:25:06 PM »
i haven't really been hurt. ;D

i've gotten is a sprained ankle that lasted 6 months because i never stopped riding.

i've been punctured by my barend after it flew off leaving a circular scar 3-4 inches from my neck near my collar bone after a boomerang gone wrong.

most of my crashes i come really close to getting ****ed up, but i always make it out safe. thank you helper fairy.
"Sometimes You Just Need To Do Something... Different"

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 09:44:07 PM »
both times happend the same way

trying to carve too hard on dork wheelie on a slick surface.
1st time back wheel slid out from under me and I landed hard on side of right foot.  Instead of ankle sprain I somehow injured my 5th metatarsal.  No break was found in X ray but it hurt like hell and still bothers me if I put a lot of pressure on it.  That was back at the roundup

2nd time, AGAIN, carving hard on somewhat slick surface.. Back wheel slips out, and instead of taking the hit to my foot I tuck my leg in and land shoulder first.  Didn't hurt too bad but got more sore throuhout the day.  Could barley take my shirt off that night.  This was back at the welcome back bbq jam.  Still hurts like hell if I fall and have to catch myself w/ my arms.  But seems ok unless under extreem pressure.

everything else has been ankle sprains and shin gashes.

No I have not learned my lesson and I still try carving on slick surfaces.

Offline Xerodark

• Forkglider
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 09:50:23 PM »
I broke one of the bones in the top of my foot the first time I tried a backwards halfhiker. I felt like I was falling and stuck my foot down and my foot almost completly folded as I fell. I could barely walk for about a week. The first couple times I tried hang 5's I either face planted or fell on my hands, which both caused some blood.. that made me learn how to fall before I finished learning the trick. Thats pretty much it, though.

Offline Connexx

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 09:53:43 PM »
dunno if you consider this flat, but way back 6 years ago i got my foot caught between my sprocket and cranks in a 360 bunnyhop attempt.  1 clean break and 2 large fractures.  ankle has never felt the same since.  that was originally why i stopped riding, but i'm back to stay as of april this year  :wacko:

oh yeah and also to echo Gensanity a bit, recently i ate it pretty hard carving on a switch-footed dork wheelie.  somehow the tops of my hands landed under my body and slid.  took 3-4 layers of skin off 3 knucles on each hand and almost ripped off a my thumbnail.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 09:55:54 PM by Connexx »

Offline chosking

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 10:00:40 PM »
Trying my lame attempt at a whiplash 3 weeks ago, caught and twisted my foot awkward and heard a tearing sound. Doc put me in a 'special' shoe for a few days, and said I partially tore a ligament on the top of my foot. Luckily I've healed real quick, an occasion twinge sometimes, but as of a couple of days back, I'm back on the bike :)

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 11:41:26 PM »
Just bruises.

I let the bike go even if it feels like it'll dump...screw it try it again after that...

monkeyflat

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 11:45:46 PM »
ya i hate the falls that you can see coming but cant do anything about it because you are stuck to the bike or the peg or the motion still pushing you...or the falls that you dont see coming...

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 11:54:04 PM »
Nothing too major although i face planted at the start of the summer, i was lucky, could have been much worse . . .

katobmx

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 11:57:04 PM »
Riding a wheelie when I ran over some pebbles and then the bike flipped from under me its slid a couple of feet and I did the same.hurt like hell