Author Topic: Flat-riders running FLY BIKES RIM...INPUT REQUESTED  (Read 8202 times)

Flat-riders running FLY BIKES RIM...INPUT REQUESTED
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:07:02 PM »
I'm crossing over to 36h rims and wanted to try something different than Odyssey rims. Odyssey rims are superb...I've had everyone but, the Duralectra's. I took a liking to Fly Bikes rim when I first saw them on Ruben's bike when I met him during one of his stops for the Pedal To The Metal Tour. I would like to know some of you guys experience with the rim. How do they feel while holding during hikers compared to Ody rims. Did you guys note a difference in stability with the lacing. close up photo's of your wheels would be great.

radflat

Re: Flat-riders running FLY BIKES RIM...INPUT REQUESTED
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 08:10:33 PM »
the only thing i didn't like was you can't straight lace your wheels but other then that a superb set of rims.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 08:20:01 PM »
I scratched them off my list of chioces at first because of that but, am now interested in 3x-lacing for the difference in rolling.

Have you by any chance tried to radial-lace them radflat?

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 08:53:50 PM »
its not possible to radial lace fly rims, but they are strong and light, cool colors also

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 09:07:47 PM »
its not possible to radial lace fly rims, but they are strong and light, cool colors also

Cool, thanks.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 01:50:02 AM »
as you can see from this diagram, the holes in the fly rims are on the outer-side of the rim and placed at an angle. This is ideal for "cross lacing", this means that the spokes on the left side of the hub conect to the right side of the rim and vise-versa.
Now that i think of it, it may be possible to cross-radial lace it... but it may look a bit stange and i dont know how it would hold up...

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 02:04:42 AM »
I did think of 0X-lacing but, thought there might be a catch, or maybe just simply possible. But as you mentioned the question would be how they would hold up. I'm actually curious and wonder if anyone has tried this yet.

Thanks for posting the diagram...I haven't had luck finding much information on these rims on the web.

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 02:08:22 AM »
I don't understand why these rims can't be laced radial... I have never seen a wheel you describe, left flange to right side of rim and vise-versa ? Please explain. Do you have a pic of a built wheel ?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 02:28:28 AM by smiley »
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 07:01:15 AM »
Yes. You can radial lace them.  I have them and they are the best rims ever.  Not only do they have a machined braking surface which makes the brakes work consistently, but the side to side cross lacing makes them stronger and give you more spoke clearance.  Less likely to nip your heel or toe on the spokes if your feet get a little crooked.  Awesome rims if you like the color choices, mine are black and radial laced with double butted spokes and alloy nipples and I am 6'3" and weight about 210.  No problems.

brian

Offline Ginny

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 12:28:02 PM »
I like how ~Alfreds Quamen~ and radflat have ... what looks like the sameguy on a different bike in their respective avatars...

haha

LAWL  ;D

fly bike rims look cool man.

oh yeah, so do the avatars...  :P
flatland will ruin your life..

Offline stinky

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 07:40:33 PM »
They are a bitch to lace but they look dope and are really strong, but5 if you run brakes they will were the paint off in no time. I am going to get a pink one for my back. I just seen a red one wich is new. I would get one , but only if there is no brake s

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 08:47:04 PM »
Yes. You can radial lace them.  I have them and they are the best rims ever.  Not only do they have a machined braking surface which makes the brakes work consistently, but the side to side cross lacing makes them stronger and give you more spoke clearance.  Less likely to nip your heel or toe on the spokes if your feet get a little crooked.  Awesome rims if you like the color choices, mine are black and radial laced with double butted spokes and alloy nipples and I am 6'3" and weight about 210.  No problems.

brian

Do you have them cross-radial-laced or regular radial-laced?

Because of the angled spoke holes it seems very dificult to have it regular radial-laced..

And if you have a photo please post it so we can see.

[cross-radial-laced is when the spoke on the left side hub flange goes to the right side of the rim and vise-versa.]

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 09:06:51 PM »
I don't understand why these rims can't be laced radial... I have never seen a wheel you describe, left flange to right side of rim and vise-versa ? Please explain. Do you have a pic of a built wheel ?

I think you can see here in this pic, the cross-lacing.
The spokes on the left side of the hub cross to the right side of the rim and
the spokes on the right side of the hub cross to the left side of the rim.
The nipple holes on the rim are drilled at an angle for this crossing of spokes.
Radial-lacing could be possible if the spokes cross sides but I have no ideia how a cross-radial-laced wheel would hold up... I have never seen one laced that way...

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 09:25:40 PM »
^Wicked truing-stand :wacko:^.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 11:38:32 PM by ~Alfreds Quamen~ »