Author Topic: MEGAspins.........HELP!!!  (Read 8727 times)

Offline JDF

• Hitchhiker
MEGAspins.........HELP!!!
« on: October 27, 2007, 11:06:41 AM »
Good lord, this trick is giving me and my friend so much grief right now, its not even funny.  I can't get past the first part, no matter what I do. I go up, turn sharply, do a g-turn, then....well...that's it.  I know that's hard to visualize, so this is a video of a typical attempt:

Small | Large

Some are longer, most are like this. I have tried to scuff madly, but my spin always just stops at this same point, front end falls down, I ride away.....more and more frusterated every time.  Ha ha!

Any tips would be great......I know I am doing so many things wrong, so just a few pointers to get me going would rule.

Thanks guys!

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
Re: MEGAspins.........HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 11:41:16 AM »
you need to tilt your bike so the rear wheel is angled into the spin, like in mc circle, if you keep your wheel straight you lose it.

http://www.global-flat.com/tricks/4/Megaspin

there you can see that his wheel is tilted.

Offline Rob Shaw

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:18:53 PM »
I'm sorry but this trick is probably going to take you about 5-6 months. I know because I started learning them the same way you are now. Hreres whats gonig to happen if you keep doing them like that, you'll practise for about three months and max out at three scuffs on a really good one. Once I reallized what I was doing wrong the move became easier to do and more consitant. Anyways, so here's what you have to change, bend that straight leg of yours alot more this will help imensely in the balance,straighten those arms so that there only slightly bent or not at all, turn your torso slightly in the direction of the spin so that your also looking in that direction, turn your scuffing foot a bit and scuff with the ball, also move your hips a litlle closer to the front end so your more centered, once you get past the first scuff remember to also balance by tilting to keep the angle constant(pushing down with one hand pulling up with the other), keep your scuff's as even as possible, oh yeah and don't swing your leg to get momentum I know you may want to but don't when you turn into it properly that should be enough to initiate the move. One last thing I couldn't be sure from the vid but if you are leaning your leg/knee against the seat stop it, it will only hold you back from eing able to balance it this is important. It's okey if it's leaned when your entering the move but as soon as you lift up the front tire take it off. Ok I'm pretty sure that's everything I could possibly think of. Sorry about the lecture I just don't want it to take you as long as it took me to learn it.  

Offline Jesse Vetrone

• GF Inhabitant
  • Columbus can shove it. the world IS flat.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 03:19:46 PM »
I was doing that same exact thing for like 4 months GAHH im just now getting the hang of it.

as already said, you have to lean more to the left.  also keep that foot pumping the tire, if you dont the tire rolls forward and you come out of the trick. it looked like if you kicked that tire again it would have been perfect.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 04:29:43 PM »
Tilt your bike, push your leg and your weight through.

Turn your head and your body will follow. Turn you body and your bike will follow.

Look in the direction you want to go and remember to change your weight to make the bike shift from forward to backward blah blah.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

h_man

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 04:39:10 PM »
With megaspins i spin to clockwise & i carve into the spin to get an steady momentum the faster i spin the easier it is for me personally & leaning the bike slightly definitely helps and it opens the doors for a ton of rear wheel spinning tricks,have fun.

Offline JDF

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 09:10:51 PM »
Shoot guys, wicked tips man!  That is probably EVERYTHING I need to know.  I've printed it out, now all I have to do is impliment the advice and practice practice practice....

Thanks guys, VERY much appreciated!!!!!!

Offline Luis Elías

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 09:55:49 PM »
I have this old video of a megaspin. Probably it's different from the one you're trying to learn. Anyways, it's a megaspin  :ph34r:

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/eliasbiker/?action=view&current=Pelcula-1.flv Small | Large

katobmx

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 10:00:02 PM »
its in your wrists if you twist them you'll get the angle

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 09:09:10 AM »
dont remember if it was mentioned but keep your front wheel low from the ground, if it goes high it will be to akward to balance

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 02:18:11 PM »
kicking the tire is necessary to keep it going but if you can learn to keep it spinning for 2, 3 or more  rotations with just 1 kick right after the g turn you will get a good understanding of the balance point. 

Offline mcmillan_adam

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 07:18:24 AM »
i am still trying to learn this trick as well. today, i took a great step by realizing the importance of TURNING THE HEAD. by simply looking over your shoulder, and not at your bike, the spin will last longer. i got a big smile on my face when i realized this today :), reminding me why i love flatland.
be what you speak, man never speak on what you be

Offline JDF

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 10:20:57 AM »
Well......an update.  Unfortunately, not a very good one, ha ha!  So I got to put another hour or so into practicing these things (I only get to ride once per week for about 2 hours).  Not much (if any) progress.  I applied everything everyone told me, well as much as I could.  I found the biggest help was to lock the arms out, keep the front wheel LOW, and tilt the bike left....

Ok, having said that, I was able to get about one more spin per attempt than normal.  Progress.....sort of.....but not great.  I've put about 3.5 hours of practice into this trick, and although I'm not disappointed with the progress, all those riders make it look so damn easy in the videos!!!  Grrrrrrrrrr....

So here's where I am....I do the initial G-turn for my first spin, then I start scuffing, and if I tilt too much, the bike shoots out from under me, end of trick.  If I don't tilt enough, then no more spinning, front wheel goes way up high...end of trick......  After about 250 attempts, I am not really any further than where I started.  Maybe its just more practice, but I still feel I am missing something.  I am doing something wrong to stop my spinning momentum.  If anyone has an idea, I am ALL EARS!!!

Here's a vid with the latest attempts.........

Small | Large

Offline Rob Shaw

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 12:25:15 AM »
you've made some pretty good progress. Just keep playin around with the balance point . Bend your knee more you can balance by straightening and bending your knee. Another thing that might help is turnig your bars a bit more and leaning your torso towards your right grip, it helped me. Good Luck!

Offline Revan23

• Cliffhanger
  • stop raining!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 12:12:41 PM »
looks like your front wheel is starting off fine but getting higher as you spin,