Author Topic: Dismounting Suelo Cranks  (Read 2802 times)

Offline laame

• Hitchhiker
  • disbalanced
    • laame.info
Dismounting Suelo Cranks
« on: October 11, 2007, 11:09:15 PM »
I broke my frame today (read there). So i'm now trying to dismount my Suelo Cranks, but I can't get them off spindle. It was hard to install, they were realy tight, so i used Profile crank installation tool to screw them on. But now i have to take them off. I was trying to scew out bolt a little so i have some space, and i tryed to hammer it out, but no luck, they are still at the same place. Any sugestion?
Life in Motion

Re: Dismounting Suelo Cranks
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 12:10:02 AM »
Have you tried hitting the spindle outusing the Profile installation tool?

Offline laame

• Hitchhiker
  • disbalanced
    • laame.info
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:40:54 AM »
Have you tried hitting the spindle outusing the Profile installation tool?
I don't realy have it. After a long night trying to install thoes cranks i wen't to local bike shop (not so realy locasl, i have to take a few hour train ride). And i just used their tool to install them.
And, isnt that the same as hiting them out with half srewed bolt?
Life in Motion

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 01:11:05 AM »
You could try Pats idea and buy a long bolt with the same thread type from a hardware store and screw it in and hit it out with a hammer.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 01:15:52 AM »
It's not neccessarily like hitting it from the crank bolt because the crank bolt pushes the crank arms in. I would in this case suggest you get something that goes pass the crank arm and comes in full contact with the spindle and hammer away. Try using something that wouldn't damage any material.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 01:28:39 AM »
What I mean is take both crank bolts off , screw the long skinny bolt in all the way [ grease thread ] and start hitting it out with a hammer. I dont have suelo cranks, but if they are similar to profiles, then this will work.

Offline laame

• Hitchhiker
  • disbalanced
    • laame.info
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 01:38:11 AM »
What I mean is take both crank bolts off , screw the long skinny bolt in all the way [ grease thread ] and start hitting it out with a hammer. I dont have suelo cranks, but if they are similar to profiles, then this will work.
Suelo Cranks has only one bolt on one side, and it's larger, but idea is the same. I'll try to get some long bolt from hardware store tomorrow and try again. Only, if I wasn't able to move it a bit with the same method, only using original bolt, then i don't know if that will realy help.
Life in Motion

Offline KD

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 02:53:56 AM »
Remove the bolt completely.  Find a peice of aluminum or brass that fits inside the crank arm and onto the spindle.  Give it a good couple of smacks and it should start moving out.  Make sure you use aluminum or brass so you don't damage the spindle and/or threads!  Also, i wouldn't advise tapping on the actual crank arm since it may cause it to come off at a slight angle, possibly damaging the splines. 

Only problem is finding a suitable piece of material to hit the spindle with...  An aluminum primo spindle would prob work awesome...

:beer:

Offline KD

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 02:55:58 AM »
Actually an aluminum primo spindle might NOT work since i think the suelo's bolt end in smaller than 22mm...  It prob wouldn't fit in there.. Anyways, you get the idea..

Budz

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 05:10:51 AM »
dont 4get to lube that baby up b4 sticking it back together too so u dont get that cold welding or whatever its called goin on next time.

Offline laame

• Hitchhiker
  • disbalanced
    • laame.info
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 12:59:15 PM »
dont 4get to lube that baby up b4 sticking it back together too so u dont get that cold welding or whatever its called goin on next time.
Yes, i noticed that yesterday. Thoes were my first EuroBB cranks after all unsealed AmericanBB so i didn't knew that I have to grease the spindle.
But i got them off, with a little of WD-40 and 13mm barrel wrech.

Thanks for help everyone!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:15:12 PM by laame »
Life in Motion

Budz

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 01:11:25 PM »
glad u got em off!
and yea, dont be stingey with the grease.
grease is cheap-parts are not. ;)