Author Topic: Sweetest Flatland Bike To Grace The Streets  (Read 6583 times)

Re: Sweetest Flatland Bike To Grace The Streets
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 04:05:31 PM »
it is interesting that a few people have jumped to the assumption that i have this set up i do and because i post it in a flatland forum and it resembles a street bike people think I'm just making do with what i got, rather than actually this is close to my perfect set up for flatland.

i have been riding flatland shy of 7 years, and in that time i have had 18.6"TT and i have had cut down 8p graveyard Ti bars, i have had sky high seat and seat post, i even ran a double dutch front brake set up.

some where in that time i asked myself if that all these so called flatland specific things wheres actually tweaks to make riding easier?

having a tall seat set short sub 18.9TT, or zero rather than offset forks were, almost like making a football goal wider and bigger to make it easier to score?

don't know about you guys but learning stuffs hard, but i enjoy the challenge and if learning it on a less flatland specific bike set up takes a little bit longer i don't mind.

in fact around last year i felt i had neglected the the rear wheel and back wheel tricks, and also felt a bit weird that i rode a bmx, yet i didn't have the ability to use it how i liked riding street. so since then i have been riding both a lot more and i am stoked on it.

if any of you are interested,i run

WETHEPEOPLE Ovoid frame 20.25"TT    13.8"CS

wtp Mantis forks(wouldn't recommend for street) 15mm offset,, but soon 25mm helium fork..

7.9" wtp helium high bars

wtp street offset stem(50mm)

165mm wtp cranks

and a wtp cassette on the back, (riding back wheel stuff on it is a real fun challenge, lol)

hope that explains a bit more reason behind my set up..

peace

#1 you really shouldnt have to explain yourself to anyone- because, truely you are wasting your time.......

i really think it is cool , that you look outside the box, like i do.
hell, our set-ups are quite simular,
 but  whats really cool, is if you are ever in town, we could go  ride flat, then take off , and go do  fakie wall rides, kinda  shows who is truely  missing out on the fun doesnt it?

keep riding , and progressing.
and thanks again for the posts!

tim

Offline slcflat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 05:18:20 PM »
i used to have my bike setup like that and it's actually pretty fun and helps out on certain tricks.  mid-schoolers may remember that chad degroot, paul osicka, jesse puente and the flatland fugitives all rode with "slammed" seatposts.  maybe that trend will come back!

Offline stopkaiross

• Backpacker
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 08:12:32 PM »
eh, it's alright, "sweetest flatland bike to grace the streets", i'd say no.  There are just nicer parts and way more unique setups,  and i'm not talking about bent tubes and stuff, Im mean, did you see that finished circle A frame? I had to pick my jaw off the damn floor when i saw that...setting up your bike to make it intentionally more difficult to ride just doesn't seem very "sweet" to me.
As far as looks go, i'd like to see some more of that orangey gold from your stem down further on the bike, like maybe the seat clamp or bbspacers (if you run them of course). Also if you don't think your seat is in harms way, some custom upholstering usually stands out on a bike, nothing gawdy, but like pinstripe might look nice, or some paisley, of course, these are just my aesthetics...

go 50mm offsets!

-kai

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 08:33:36 PM »
Im mean, did you see that finished circle A frame? I had to pick my jaw off the damn floor when i saw that...

-kai

yes, that was a good bike! i agree!

setting up your bike to make it intentionally more difficult to ride just doesn't seem very "sweet" to me.

-kai

i dont think thats really what he is tring to do , i honestly think he is tring to set-up  his bike for all around riding. and people started bashing him.

As far as looks go, i'd like to see some more of that orangey gold from your stem down further on the bike, like maybe the seat clamp or bbspacers (if you run them of course). Also if you don't think your seat is in harms way, some custom upholstering usually stands out on a bike, nothing gawdy, but like pinstripe might look nice, or some paisley, of course, these are just my aesthetics...

-kai

again , your perspective and opion. and it is a honest one, and you are not tring to tell the guy  how , what , or where to ride.

Offline FlatismŽ

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 11:30:09 PM »
Short little Bendy tube frames have caused the homogenisation in Flatland ridin.
Flat-ism

Offline stopkaiross

• Backpacker
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 11:55:29 PM »
i dont think thats really what he is tring to do , i honestly think he is tring to set-up  his bike for all around riding. and people started bashing him.

some where in that time i asked myself if that all these so called flatland specific things wheres actually tweaks to make riding easier?

having a tall seat set short sub 18.9TT, or zero rather than offset forks were, almost like making a football goal wider and bigger to make it easier to score?

don't know about you guys but learning stuffs hard, but i enjoy the challenge and if learning it on a less flatland specific bike set up takes a little bit longer i don't mind.

again , your perspective and opion. and it is a honest one, and you are not tring to tell the guy  how , what , or where to ride.
...I thought asking to discuss something meant my opinion was wanted, probably like alot of the people who "bashed" him. Perhaps if if we wern't told to discuss it we wouldn't add our two cents...
-Kai

Offline Revan23

• Cliffhanger
  • stop raining!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 12:02:03 AM »
exactly!
i didnt think suggesting he raise his seat was "bashing" him...  :rolleyes:

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 06:52:23 AM »
exactly!
i didnt think suggesting he raise his seat was "bashing" him...  :rolleyes:

theres pretty much a standard in anything we do , even flatland- and  1 of them lately(over the past  10- 12 months to be exact!) has been the  seat height, witch i dont understand why  that is, becouse over the past 20 years,  that standard has moved  back and forth, up and down (maybe  that has to do with  frame  design?)

but still  telling someone that there seat is to low, or to high , is like telling some rider his  bars are to forward, or to far back , or maybe you should ride with  4 pegs instead of 2, or vica-versa.
i can drop a peg, and still kill it, i could probally drop the 2 i use the most, and still go out  and session flat, could you?

rully

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 08:34:03 AM »
what's so wrong from suggesting something? if the person likes the suggestion then go for it, if not just ignore it. it's as simple as that, no?

i think that's what forums and discussions are open for....

Offline Revan23

• Cliffhanger
  • stop raining!!!
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 02:32:55 PM »
and what are you glass... his official spokesman?  he asked us to discuss it  :rolleyes:

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2007, 04:02:28 PM »
what's so wrong from suggesting something? if the person likes the suggestion then go for it, if not just ignore it. it's as simple as that, no?

i think that's what forums and discussions are open for....
and what are you glass... his official spokesman?  he asked us to discuss it  :rolleyes:

this is what i m talking about........ rully, you are right , but there are people that  take it to far, i dont even know the guy , but when people  like german cycleist  make sacastic remarks  about peoples whips  and then put a rolls eyes behind it, it just plain goes to show you  how ignorant people are.

ravan , i was never calling you out or anything ,i was just simply making statements  about previous threads, and  centain individials on here.

truely i m the type of person , and rider that could give  2 sh!ts about what other people  do , trick ,bike set-up, or lifestyles.
i do my own thing , and allways have, nomatter if it is or isnt the right thing to do , or  trendy @ that period  in time , just tring to back a guy  that truely likes to ride, and i think all forms of bmx, and  has a view  that seems to be outside the box,
#1 witch i can relate too.
#2 witch i repect very much so.

Offline J.smith

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2007, 07:18:04 PM »
yo guys sorry, i have been away from the computer last 2 days, was up in London riding flatland, but with no pegs, lol was pretty fun..

yeah anyone expressing there opinions of me seat or the rest of my set up for that matter, and I'm not justifying me my riding or my bike to nobody. if anything i was trying to ruffle some feathers by provoking the hate on my set up, then getting people to question their own set ups and the reason behind it.

also for the record my names James smith, not Rachel (it was the name of an ex gf and i thought it would be a funny om de ploom, i guess riding is for life and girlfriends are just passing fads for me, lol).

i ride for wethepeople bikes, and last year after learning backflips in a skate park joking about i thought maybe some all round different skills on the bike may benefit my out look on flatland. and to tell the truth it has been amazing riding street and flatland on the same bike.

to be honest we could all over analyses stuff to do with riding, and usually i find the more passionate you are about something, when you try to make sense of it or explain something about it, you will probably contradict you self several times. as its just such a complex and personal subject, like moods and tides its changes all the time, and i would say that why i love it.

in the rest of the worlds eyes, bmx is so insignificant, that in the great scheme of thing bmx  don't mean or matter at all, but i know for me and I'm sure a hand full of you as well it means the world to you too..

forget set ups, forget calling it street or flatland, its freestyle , if anything call it,,,

"I'm going riding on my BMX "

peace

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2007, 08:58:49 PM »
 That bike is cool....Looks like a fun ride...I like to set up my bike like a bmx bike rather than some hardcore flatland machine..Gotta have a comfy bike..Heres my rig:

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2007, 09:08:08 PM »
yo guys sorry, i have been away from the computer last 2 days, was up in London riding flatland, but with no pegs, lol was pretty fun..

yeah anyone expressing there opinions of me seat or the rest of my set up for that matter, and I'm not justifying me my riding or my bike to nobody. if anything i was trying to ruffle some feathers by provoking the hate on my set up, then getting people to question their own set ups and the reason behind it.

also for the record my names James smith, not Rachel (it was the name of an ex gf and i thought it would be a funny om de ploom, i guess riding is for life and girlfriends are just passing fads for me, lol).

i ride for wethepeople bikes, and last year after learning backflips in a skate park joking about i thought maybe some all round different skills on the bike may benefit my out look on flatland. and to tell the truth it has been amazing riding street and flatland on the same bike.

to be honest we could all over analyses stuff to do with riding, and usually i find the more passionate you are about something, when you try to make sense of it or explain something about it, you will probably contradict you self several times. as its just such a complex and personal subject, like moods and tides its changes all the time, and i would say that why i love it.

in the rest of the worlds eyes, bmx is so insignificant, that in the great scheme of thing bmx  don't mean or matter at all, but i know for me and I'm sure a hand full of you as well it means the world to you too..

forget set ups, forget calling it street or flatland, its freestyle , if anything call it,,,

"I'm going riding on my BMX "

peace
dam straight!!!!!

and  after  we are done  sessioning some lot, we could go out , and  boost some hips, and  session some ledges!!!!!!!!!

awsome
just f-in awsome!!!!

Offline Erik Otto

• GF Inhabitant
  • The Brotherhood for life.
    • Monolithic Flatland
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 04:04:29 AM »
Whatever works best for you is all that matters.