Author Topic: Where's Ontario's riders at?  (Read 18900 times)

Offline Actual

• Hitchhiker
Where's Ontario's riders at?
« on: September 30, 2007, 02:21:27 AM »
Hello friends!

Where is everyone from Ontario gone? I know I removed myself from the loop a few an half back to focus on getting my schooling finished / career started and it seems like everyone is in hiding?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 10:45:13 AM by Toddles »
Cp

Offline Burlington Spencer

• Hitchhiker
Re: Where's Ontario's riders at?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 02:55:50 AM »
Chris!

I prowled around Toronto most of the day looking for other grown-ups on children's bicycles and didn't even think of trying Hamilton first.

Give me a shout; the Lost Puppy Van can make it up there in no time.

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 08:48:38 AM »
Waiting for you to release your CD!!
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline Actual

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 02:48:07 AM »
Word up Spencer! I'll get at you when I catch up on my sleep :)

Tyler. No worries bro. Still have new tracks that need finishing. Watch out or a few tracks to pop up in some up coming videos. Did I hook you with a demo in T.O?
Cp

apoirier

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 05:54:44 AM »
Myself and Adam have been doing far the opposite of "hiding."  Over the summer we went to York Jam, The Mid-West Flat Jam in Indianapolis, we went to the New York City Flatland Jam, and a few ASC Jams as well, we are now going to the Montreal Jam this coming weekend, everyone else seems to be hiding, the Ontario scene has died and I've lost faith in it resurrecting to what it was a couple years ago.

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 06:16:15 AM »
i'll be back, just give me a few more weeks for my foot to heal. I dont entirely think the Ont. scene is entirely dead as yet.

Offline Actual

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 02:36:13 AM »
I think thats a bit harsh to say that it's dead. Most of us have reached the point where real life is getting in the way of our childhood dreams. Those years where it boomed, we were all younger ya know. We aged with time and there wasn't that younger generation to replace the Alex's and Lachs as they took our spots.
Cp

apoirier

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 06:35:28 AM »
My post was directed at the younger riders in Ontario, not the slightly older guys, I know they have a lot more commitments, it just doesn't seem like anyone wants to travel outside the GTA to ride anymore, no one wants to showcase the Ontario riding scene, that's why it's died, not that we don't ride, just that we're invisible to the rest of the world now. 

Ever since Ontarioflatland.com finished, it seems like we just aren't organized, ASC has provided us with endless amazing jams, and no one shows up to these amazingly catered events.

The Montreal Jam has a large turn out list, and I've never been happier or excited for a jam then this, guys are coming from VA, NY, ON, the confirmed list is all riders of a spectacular skill level.  I don't know if Ontario riders aren't aware of how cheap and easy it is to travel, but greyhound is dirt cheap, you can fit a flatland bike in a guitar case minus the wheels.

I'm trying to get a few things organized here and there in between school work and social life and riding myself, Ontario has a ridiculous amount of potential, not only riding wise, but also to hold international competitions, Metro went flawlessly for years, attracting riders from every continent, the FU series took it over, and it hasn't been quite the same diversity-wise, but it's been good none-the-less.  We just need to get more organized I think, CFO should be updated far more often, I understand if the members of the CFO are busy with their personal lives, as they have families now and what not, and if that's the case, I think they should try and find someone who isn't as busy to update the site.

What would be perfect for Ontario I think would be a concert series throughout the summer, to bring out more Ontario riders, since not as many seem to make it to jams anymore, maybe contests would bring a better crowd?  ASC has done amazing jams and I'm sure could help securing spots, have three contests throughout the year/riding season, offer a beginner class to bring out the younger, newer riders that won't compete in the Expert class at FU, Expert is an intimidating word itself.

ANYWAYS, I know you guys haven't stopped riding, I talk to you on MSN, we need to start taking advantage of the connections we have (mainly with ASC and how ridiculously awesome they are to us, haha).  The level of riding is amazing in Ontario, between Chris P, Lachlan, Prasheel, John F (is he in poland now?), Mizzare, Tom Hodder, Adam J (who is always going to jams and driving and offering rides to other riders, so take advantage of that!) and I know I'm missing plenty others, we have the talent, it just seems like we want to be secluded to Ontario, go outside, and videotape yourself and put it on the internet!  Showcase our damn good riding, prove me wrong that Ontario is still as strong as it was a couple years ago at HamJam where over 100 riders showed up!

Rock N' Roll Ontario!

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 09:41:30 PM »
YEAH...ROLL IT...Sauga City/ASC.
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

monkeyflat

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 10:56:09 PM »
dont know about the rest but im too tired and burnt out im quitting flatland for one or two weeks...see you guys after the rest / rest in peace

apoirier

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 01:51:19 AM »
I thought this thread just disappeared, apparently it was moved, random question, is the FU contest series continuing?  Because if so, I think we should start hyping it ASAP, facebook group, myspace, video commercials, the whole-sha-bang, I got mad ideas for a comp/jam, don't get me wrong, last years was great, but it can only get better from there, we seriously gotta show the world that Canada is still a happening place for flatland, it didn't die when Andrew Faris quit, or when Nate P disappeared off the face of the earth, or when Cory Strat's bike got stolen or something (?), or when Chris P became a professional carpenter, haha, or when Ed N moved back to Cali.  Come on now, go out and make your friends video tape you and slap that sh*t on youtube for christ's sake!

Prasheel

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 02:08:33 AM »
Whatever happened to all the footage of last year's comp?  I know it was filmed, but nothing surfaced.  I think internet videos are a good way to generate hype well in advance (say, of previous years' events) and show people exactly why they should attend.  I don't mean to sound condescending, but having the organizers just sitting on that footage only hurts future their events.

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 03:04:28 AM »
its floating on youtube somewhere

Prasheel

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 04:06:59 AM »
There was only one video of pros that Terold made.  There was a camera out and about filming the whole event including various riders in practice.

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 05:02:09 AM »
ahh, that footage ive yet to see. and would like to see.