Author Topic: How did you discover Flatland?  (Read 14969 times)

Offline Vic

• Cliffhanger
  • New Zealand
How did you discover Flatland?
« on: September 29, 2007, 12:57:16 AM »
As it's so underground, how did you discover flatland?

I was just looking for street videos on google and accidentally found a flat video of Art Thomason (http://tinyurl.com/2uqo96). I honestly thought he was the only guy in the world who could do that.. then I searched a bit more and found out theres a whole world of this stuff! I just thought, how could something so huge go unnoticed? Where have you been my whole life?! I wish I discovered flat when I was younger. I quit street and focused on flat from then on.

The second video I saw (http://tinyurl.com/35qus5) was some kid struggling to land some basic tricks and I thought to myself "pffft, I can do that".. took me a long time to realise I was so, so wrong. Props to that kid. I honestly thought flatland would be piss easy..

griOt: "I suggest start learning Hang5. This trick will open a lot of doors, such as courage"

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
Re: How did you discover Flatland?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 01:09:10 AM »
I think in about 1984 there was a guy at the local park with one of the very first Haro Master's doing a rock walk and 180 bunny hops. 

I was hooked.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 01:23:31 AM »
I SAW PICS IN 83-84 BMX PLUS OF RL AND MIKE BUFF,,,AND THOUGHT "I CAN DO THAT!

Offline Kzoh

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 01:28:39 AM »
day smith x games
Flow is Key

Offline laame

• Hitchhiker
  • disbalanced
    • laame.info
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 01:37:36 AM »
Got in to BMX when i saw a few pictures in local sports shop ad for moongoose BMX bikes. But all thoes pictures was from race, dirt, street and vert. So i was riding street for 2 years with my Diamondback Joker.
Soon after i got my first bike my brother gave me a Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX 2 for PlayStation2 at my birthay. There was few clips from Day Smith. Thats when i first saw flatland.
At thoes time there still was a BMX website BMXTRIX or something where i was looking up how-to's for street and dirt tricks. I learned fork glides and thats all.
Then for 2 years I wasn't riding at all. I was in to BMX all the time, but bike bike was broke and couldn't save up for new one. After thoes 2 years i put my old bike back and got some parts from friends, but i didn't have cranks and it was winter, and we had a small salfmade indoor in old house, so i was just chillin with my friends and doing forkglides and learning dorks.
After about four months i got money for a new and good bike. I was still in to street, so i broght Eastern Bikes Ace Of Spades, but i sold it to my friend 2 weeks later and broth my Dragonfly Trigger.
Thats how i got in to flatland.

Oh... Sorry.. Topic was "How did you discover Flatland?", but i told my whole life storry!
Life in Motion

Offline Milenko2121

• GF Inhabitant
  • "Girls come and go, but bikes are forever"
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 02:19:59 AM »
BMXTRIX.com

nuff said.
"Sometimes You Just Need To Do Something... Different"

Offline bloody0sabbath

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 02:52:52 AM »
i always new about flatland , i do it because its not barspin tailwhip, turn down , table, tailwhip , 360 , tailwhip.
I'd Yield to the devil instantly, Did it not happen that myself am he!

Offline Xerodark

• Forkglider
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 02:57:56 AM »
A few years back I was flipping through channels during the xgames, and happened to catch a few minutes of it. Ever since then I wanted to try, just didn't have the motivation until recently.

Offline DKbmx

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 03:26:27 AM »
kevin jones. ive been hooked ever since i met him. i problt ride more than anyone here and even my girlfriends into it.( i got her doin fork glides nd peg wheelies, she loves it ;D )

Offline yoksthed0pest

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 03:28:49 AM »
One Sunday afternoon I was bored and was flipping thru channels on the idiot box and came across Xgames. It was just BMX, but it really interested me, since I've been wanting to get a bike to get in shape.

From there, I searched BMX on YouTube and came across:
Small | Large

Later learned it was Simon O'Brien...
I thought it was f*cking amazing....
For the longest time I thought "flatland" was the name of a crew  ^_^
(was not aware that it was a discipline of BMX).

I joined BMX-Forum to do some research and get some background...
But before I could decide on a bike that was best for me, I had to first determine the style of riding I wanted to do.

Then I came across the article, "Choosing the Right Style of Riding"
http://www.bmx-forum.com/23935-choosing-right-style-riding.html

That's when I discovered that "flatland" is a style and not a crew, HAHA  -_-

At first I just wanted to get a bike-- then very specifically it became a BMX bike because I figured I would have a little fun with it and mess around.

Now, I've kind of changed my mind about it and really want to make an effort to learn it. I never took up dancing, even though I wanted to all my life. I'm now hoping maybe flat can be a way of expressing myself, if not a way to escape the confines of my day job...
09.26.07 - Signal
08.24.08 - Official Day 1

Offline Paved Paradise

• GF Inhabitant
  • -Flatland 4 Life-
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 04:39:17 AM »
I learned about flat when I was back in high school..I used to see this kid doin wierd tricks on a small bike and it amazzed me..so one day I left lunch didnt eat and kinda slowly walked over to this lot almost off skool proporty to watch him. I kept doin this for weeks on end skipping lunch and some classes to watch him ride. I later met and talked to him. xD. and up bein my freind and great flatland rider Gabe Kadmiri :D  Mhmm thats him he is the one who interduced me to the sport and got me addicted to it.and I thank him for it..THNX GABE!!!..
~The Bike and the Rider make the ARTFORM..
   Not the artist/utensil used..its the end product they both make, thats Beautiful~

@(x_X)@ Justin Doyon @(X_x)@
                   Ride on!

BMXfreak

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 04:00:40 PM »
bikeflat.com!

i didnt know about flatland untill one day i was serching online for a how to video on how to do a jet hop, or bunny hop and bikeflat.com came up and i watched all the flatland how to videos they had and the couple of jam videos they had posted and was like i wanna do dat!

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 04:05:43 PM »
i discovered flatland when I was very young.  I think I saw a guy riding at a 1/2 time show on tv or something. Thought it was awesome, but it looked impossible, so I sadly forgot about it. I was more into bmx racing then.

So I didn't even remember anything about seeing it until I was 20.  I don't know what exactly triggered the memory but I was so pissed I had let all those years pass by.  I grabbed my friends bike that day and started trying tailwhips.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 04:20:26 PM »
BMXTRIX.COM (R.I.P.)

That site was awesome.

Although, I first "discovered" it when I was reading an Issue of Ride BMX UK Zine in like the early 90's somewhen... I didn't actually know what it was as my childing brain was baffled by the shapes. I just liked the looks of the bikes back then.

It wasn't untill a few years later I found BMXtrix and "Flatland" was given its name in my brain.

I stopped riding dirt/ramps and "street" and focused on flat.

Love it!
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

katobmx

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 06:36:45 PM »
I been riding since i was little, and Had a mongoose with flatland geometry, always doing bar spins, wheelies,peg wheelies, footjam endo's I decided one day to learn how to do  wheelie in a circle on youtube and I was Flatland for the first time, I didn't even know what that I was doing a little flatland.