Author Topic: How did you discover Flatland?  (Read 14983 times)

Offline k.lashelle

• Funky Chicken
  • Jahoobs #73
    • MySpace
Re: How did you discover Flatland?
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2007, 11:23:39 PM »
i got tired of skating cause like
every frikin kid does it, it wasnt satisfying anymore to land a 360flip off the local ledge or transfer the halpipe to the vert wall.. everyone can do it now its ridiculous

one of my friends jesse bikes more than he skates, i watched him at the skate park doing can cans, judos, all kinds of crazy s**t.

i thought it was like the sikkest thing ever
as i was skating next to him he was doing a lot of stuff on his bike that i've never seen before. he got me into bmxing and let me borrow one of his really good bikes. It was a haro but not like a normal haro, it was a hella good signatre series from 2001 with an indestructable frame. it was amazing. (not so much for flatlanding thou)

the first day i have it i'm riding around (i've had a lot of year on bikes before but only mountain bikes that i started getting so tired of i even tried to put pegs on one of them) and i call my friend to tell him about my bike. Well it turns out my friend used to race BMX when he was younger until he had got in an accident doing something stupid and broke his femur and couldnt ride for months. he said that he had lost all skill but before he got the accident he was starting to get into a more underground form of freestyle BMXing called flatlanding. i was like 'whats that' so he told me some stuff (he wasn't to informative) so i looked it up on youtube.. saw a video.. got hooked.. searched some more.. looked up a s**tload of info on it.. and began my life as a flatlander aha.

I started on the bike I got from jesse which was extreamly heavey and learned all the basics and just recently I got a WETHEPEOPLE metric from my grandma.

so yea..
thats how i started flatlanding.
"there's no point in democracy when ignorance is celebrated" NOFX

Offline rotary_phone_dialer

• Backpacker
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2007, 11:52:05 PM »
I'm 22 and i grew up watching riders like miron, DMC, and all those old school guys who did flatland type tricks. Flatland came up on tv during like x trials and xgames, and i had seen a bunch in some bike videos I had. I'd always been interested in doing it but was more focused on ramps/street.

After a few gnarly wrecks and hospital bills, i vowed to not ride ramps anymore in 2005 and got my complete hoffman flat bike. I rode it for awhile but lost interest. My friend Mike robbins (who is super sick btw) had always been riding flat and i've seen him progress a ton over the past few years and he got me amped on it.

My friend who i used to ride street with all the time got pumped up about riding flat cause he's been beat up doing other types of riding too. So now we're back on the iron horses.
http://www.innertwineclothing.com - Flatland Team  - Jesse Puente, Pete Brandt, Trevlon Hall and Eric Wright

Budz

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2007, 12:01:47 AM »
i already posted my story in another topic. haha...i dont think ill subject u all to that same long azz story again. haha. ^_^

Offline green gob

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2007, 04:40:45 AM »
actually its kinda been done.. http://bikeflat.com/media/doubles.wmv

:wacko: :beer: ;D :P ^_^ :P
funny ****

some one from across the street was flating in his drive way and it looked interesting and ive seen no one else do it in the neighborhood and it look like wtf r u doing and that started it all off back in 98
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 04:46:03 AM by bluegreen »

Offline RideFlat66

• Backpacker
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2007, 04:58:28 AM »
i already posted my story in another topic. haha...i dont think ill subject u all to that same long azz story again. haha. ^_^

Yep I remember that post a classic it took up whole page! ^_^

Offline x james x

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2007, 05:28:56 AM »
Saw a Gt show " not the bike " in the mid 80's. Bought a Dyno Slammer and never rode flat on it, just street and dirt. A few years ago I got a computer and using the net was able to see the progression flats made and wanted a taste.

Offline Erik Otto

• GF Inhabitant
  • The Brotherhood for life.
    • Monolithic Flatland
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2007, 05:34:34 AM »
Bob Haro did a rock walk, Martin Aparijo did a double decade, Dennis McCoy did his bike dance, Kevin Jones did a deathtruck, Chase Gouin took off his brakes and did everything really fast, Nathan Penonzek went round the back, Terry Adams jumped some impossible way from one side of the bike to another.

Each time was a new discovery, a new door, a new path.

monkeyflat

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2007, 01:36:13 PM »
ya dont really remember but i always wondered how and why some of my good friends quit flatland....how can you not be feigning to ride your bike and becoming restless and crazy when you havent ridden in a few days....how can you just not ever want to ride again? how can you not see the inifinite possibilities?

but anyways life goes on

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2007, 04:40:40 PM »
Skatesantacruz and edoog2k4, real cool to see two different generations and experiences.

M...one never stops riding a bike, whatever the style or form, unless a serious life threating state of being or body issue takes over making it impossible...many riders take a break, sort their life, or what not, and most return to riding. After all it is a way of life and if one considers this to be art form then its blood, even when one can longer ride a bike.

DMC is one solid rock...he's introduced BMX to so many riders...Neela
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline Connexx

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2007, 07:46:42 PM »
the intro and outro credits of RAD....used to watch those over and over.

martin aparijo

Offline lJohnnyTheFoxl

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2007, 11:25:39 AM »
I started making a lot of money recently and at the same time felt like getting a hobby outside of music.  I first saw flatland on Youtube and thought it was the fvcking coolest thing.  I went ahead and got a Signal, and 3 months later here I am.

Youtube is doing wonders for the sport I think.  I expect more people like myself will keep coming, and more and more BMXers from street/park style will convert.

Offline Andy Marsh(Mallow)

• Backpacker
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2007, 09:30:32 PM »
I used to do a lot of dirt jumping in MN.  That all ended when I moved to KY, and could not find any local jumps, since I was new, I had no connections with people who rode.  I started to go find parking lots and mess around.  Later, I went to college, and I can't afford financially or time-wise to get hurt or break anything.  "Wow," I thought, "look at all the parking lots and that basketball court over there is perfect."  I never looked back.  Flatland forever!!! 
being small has it's advantages... :mellow:

NoSweatShop.com" BORDER="0