Author Topic: Just an opinion about new frames  (Read 3891 times)

Just an opinion about new frames
« on: November 08, 2007, 06:55:31 PM »
Hello, I usually do not write here, and to be honest this is not such a big deal for me. I've already gotten the frame of my choice. I just wanted to say that I think that the new frames that are coming out, should all have intergrated headsets (which most do) and a spanish or mid bb's. I just have found these to things personally to be the best, and simplest newer evolutions to be done with bmx/flatland frames. Also I find that they are lighter as well. This is no offence to any frame companies, just my opinion. Does anyone agree? Thanks. Marcel

Thlayli

Re: Just an opinion about new frames
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 02:01:15 AM »
I've always thought it'd be nice to have an industry standard. We don't really even have a standard size for stuff that are supposedly "standard sizes".

NiteCamo

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 03:06:32 AM »
I did my cousin

Offline LVSR

• Cliffhanger
  • I don't do 'tricks' I do 'illusions'
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 03:08:38 AM »
^^^ What?
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security" --Benjamin Franklin

Offline Darkwhip

• Funky Chicken
  • I learned 540s in 1989
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 03:14:22 AM »

Offline standard146

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 03:17:04 AM »
i stopped riding in the middle of 2003( had no time in college). im about to start again soon as soon as i put the freecoaster back together (regreased it today). and put the back wheel back on. and fix a flat too. but its amazing theres so many new frames out compared to when i was really in it. my quamen g3 is old now. but i dont think ill get anything new. i love my setup

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 06:35:08 AM »
I've always thought it'd be nice to have an industry standard. We don't really even have a standard size for stuff that are supposedly "standard sizes".

thats funny, because  all the years ive been riding  a 19'' tt is pretty much  the standard, and you can work your way up to a 20'', or  down  now to a 17.9, or 18.1(depending on where you live in this world)

Thlayli

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 07:36:56 AM »

thats funny, because  all the years ive been riding  a 19'' tt is pretty much  the standard, and you can work your way up to a 20'', or  down  now to a 17.9, or 18.1(depending on where you live in this world)

Good point, but that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about things like bottom bracket styles and tolerances. Even back when almost every frame had an American BB, you never knew whether the BB cups were going to be popping out because they were loose, or warping because they were slightly too tight, or whether or not you were going to have to ream out the BB tube just to be able to get the assembly in place. Nowadays it's not quite as much of a factor; you just have to weigh in the factor of whether or not you're going to have to buy a new headset and bottom bracket when you get the frame you want. You can have one of two different types of headset (not counting the Lardset), and you can have one of four different types of bottom bracket (counting American)... but you don't have these options with every frame, you have to wait and see which frames may or may not have a combination of the features you want. Frames end up almost always being a compromise because of this.

Problem being that a lot of the bike companies don't want to agree to a standard. The Spanish and the Mid BB were supposed to be the middle point compromise between the Euro and the American sizes, with strength/durability comparative with American, but also with the light weight and installation almost as easy as a Euro, but now we've just ended up with a bunch of variations, and nobody's any closer to adopting an industry standard where you don't have to either get a frame you don't really want, or buy a new bottom bracket to go along with it.

And, face it, if a flatlander is devoting a majority of their time to riding, that extra however-much you've got to tack onto the price of a $300 frame can be a deal breaker if you're not making that much money to begin with. Or if you have to talk parents into shelling it out, for that matter.

And then there's the Lardset... Quamen manufacturing an entirely separate product in order to resist conforming to what's very rapidly become and industry standard, for good or ill. (Though I have to say that I like the idea of the Lardset more than I actually like the idea of the integrated headset. Also, not sure if I'm mistaken in that their frames actually come with the Lardset cups.)

As is, people buy what they have to, because there's not that much choice in the matter. It'd be nice to be able to buy a frame, and just port your old parts over or buy the new parts without worrying about whether you have to buy another headset, or BB, or seatpost (or a seatpost shim) or convert your axle to a different size or blah blah you know what I mean.

Relatively minor complaint, but sometimes that stuff bugs me.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 07:38:42 AM by Thlayli »

NiteCamo

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:45:49 PM »

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 12:13:55 AM »
BB piss me off.

Just make a standard.

Me- preferably Mid or Spanish. The bearings fairly robust in both.

I know what your saying though man.

katobmx

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 01:48:37 AM »
I always though some one should use hollw bearings.Its off subject I guess.

Offline standard146

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 02:41:11 AM »
I always though some one should use hollw bearings.Its off subject I guess.

they would get crushed way easier

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 10:07:13 PM »
 Yeah I got my first frame with an internal,and a mid too this year..Its an fbm..It was just so nice Not having to get those stinkin bearing cups into the frame....

Only thing is I wish the back ends on frames are a tad longer..My wheels hangin off the end of the dropouts in my fbm..I like 13.75 or 14" back ends..There is like so much flatland frames these days I wish there were more longer back ends...

I almost got a street frame...

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 08:18:43 AM »
Yeah I got my first frame with an internal,and a mid too this year..Its an fbm..It was just so nice Not having to get those stinkin bearing cups into the frame....

Only thing is I wish the back ends on frames are a tad longer..My wheels hangin off the end of the dropouts in my fbm..I like 13.75 or 14" back ends..There is like so much flatland frames these days I wish there were more longer back ends...

I almost got a street frame...

back ends are short! I hear ya!

I got 14.5" CS on my dyno Slammer that I think are perfect personally.