Author Topic: WD-40 destroyed my Nankai  (Read 6192 times)

Offline laame

• Hitchhiker
  • disbalanced
    • laame.info
WD-40 destroyed my Nankai
« on: September 27, 2007, 12:52:37 PM »
I was cleaning my chain with WD-40, and accidently spryed a little on my Nankai. WD-40 somehow got in to hub, and now my hub sounds terribly. Metal to metal sound and some cracking. I'm now trying to regrease it. I hope i'll do fine becouse i have to be at competition this saturday.

Edit: Damn, I can't loosen locknut and cone at the driver side...
Edit: Any sugestion on loosening locknut if it's stuck/too tight?
Edit: OK, i opened locknut, and i came on surprise. http://flatland.lv/x/nankai-balls.jpg
Edit: Everything is OK now. I cleaned every part and regreased ball retainers and clutch spring. Now it sounds good and it rolls better. First time regreasing freecoaster.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 07:50:25 PM by laame »
Life in Motion

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: WD-40 destroyed my Nankai
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 01:05:08 PM »
Yeah, wd 40 is ok on sealed bearings, but has been known for washing out grease on regular bearings. If its just lack of grease, then regreasing will do the trick.

By the way, I seem to be having some trouble with my emails, so I sent you a p.m.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 01:50:09 PM »
You need to repack the freecoaster.

You broke down the grease, wd40 is not a lubricant it is a solvent/degreaser/penetrating oil.

Me - I'd never use WD40 for sealed bearings, I remember doing that BITD on my skateboards and the bearings would get loud and lack lubrication. A sealed bearing should get a light weight oil for lubrication.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 01:51:49 PM by Boosted One »

Offline dpfreestyler

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 04:14:11 PM »
Yes, have to agree, never use WD40 as a lubricant, because it isn't one!

Great for cleaning, it will clean away oil and grease!

;D

Offline Shortylonghair

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:39:20 PM »
Do Not Ride on it! take that sh*t appart ASAP re-pack w/ "real greese" & give it a few spins to see how it sounds. WD-40 will destroy your hub, best of luck man. i've seen so many people bring in wheels at my old shop that they made the same mistake & we ended up replacing it.

Offline Revan23

• Cliffhanger
  • stop raining!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 08:02:55 PM »
i just use it as a de-odorant cause it smells lovely....  :wub:

Budz

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 09:08:22 PM »
i just use it as a de-odorant cause it smells lovely....  :wub:
yea it does...and makes a good bedroom lube also. muwhahahahaa :wacko:

...ok, thats wasnt funny. sowry. :(

Offline tranqulized

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 09:23:31 PM »
Correct me if im wrong... but doesn't it specifically say "degreaser" on the can????
wd40 is a degreaser... its for removing grease and other crap stuck to metal... its not meant to be a long term lubricant... you shouldn't be spraying it on your chain... you should only be spraying that on your chain when you need to clean it... or spraying it on some rusty bolts to losen them...
Go to a bikeshop and get some tri-flo chain lubricant...
or you can order it off the internet if you can't exactly get to a bikeshop...

The wd40 did what its supposed to do and ate the grease out of your hub... I don't know where so many people get off thinking wd40 is as good as grease for a lubricant... I've seen so many people use it like a grease... I think they need to put a warning on the can telling people that just because of the sheer amount of people that really don't know what it does or what its for...
The stuff evaporates in seconds.... what do you thinks going to be left to lubricate after that? air?

Offline Shortylonghair

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 10:56:22 PM »
Dude, if I could lubricate the air.....I wouldn't need a girlfriend. I could always ride. thats an awesome idea

...ok, thats wasnt funny. sowry. :(
[/quote]

Offline Shortylonghair

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 10:57:31 PM »
oops, sorry Budz. didn't mean to steal your quote. just trying to figure this damn thing out.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 01:38:58 AM »
Hey guys, he was cleaning his chain, not lubing it. Wd 40 is only good for sealed bearings if they dont sound or feel that good if you dont have any lubricating oil.
It should only ever be used as a temporary fix, until you get some lubricating oil, then oil your bearings properly.

Anyways, back to topic, I'm glad it worked out o.k. in the end , it would be bad to have your freecoaster stuff up right before your competition/jam.

Offline tranqulized

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 06:15:23 AM »
Shouldn't you take the chain off the hub to clean it though? you can't really clean the crap out of it effectively while those teeth are holding the goo/dirt in there...

Offline laame

• Hitchhiker
  • disbalanced
    • laame.info
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 02:16:02 PM »
Shouldn't you take the chain off the hub to clean it though? you can't really clean the crap out of it effectively while those teeth are holding the goo/dirt in there...
I fugured that too, next time i'll remove my rear tire and put it FAR away form WD-40 and then clean the chai. Since i don't have connection link in my chain.
Life in Motion

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 02:49:36 PM »
Life is weird you guys know that?

A couple of days ago I figured I should re adjust my front hub, which was as big mistake since now I can't seem to get it right and theres always a cracking sound as soon as I start riding harder.
Coincidently (or not), for the first time in my life I used WD40 to loosen the nuts and bolts that were all stuck.. could that have provoqued the troubls Im having now?

Two steel balls seem to be too loose or too small to stay put on the cage and now they pop-up alot I guess I need a new, SEALED this time, hub.

Offline laame

• Hitchhiker
  • disbalanced
    • laame.info
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 05:27:57 PM »
Life is weird you guys know that?

A couple of days ago I figured I should re adjust my front hub, which was as big mistake since now I can't seem to get it right and theres always a cracking sound as soon as I start riding harder.
Coincidently (or not), for the first time in my life I used WD40 to loosen the nuts and bolts that were all stuck.. could that have provoqued the troubls Im having now?

Two steel balls seem to be too loose or too small to stay put on the cage and now they pop-up alot I guess I need a new, SEALED this time, hub.
From my exp, it can be WD-40 foult. If you use WD-40 to clean something, then dry it of with some cloth or paper napkin, and let it dray a few hours and wipe it one more with clean napkin.

In conclusion: WD-40 can be helpfull, but it can also mess thing up. So be careful! And if you work at factory wich produces WD-40 than paste my portrait on it with warning!
Life in Motion