Author Topic: Hommage Plastic BB’s  (Read 1883 times)

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Hommage Plastic BB’s
« on: April 07, 2022, 11:20:17 AM »
Has anyone tried these ? I ordered a couple pair from this shop for $17 each. Seems they are made to order and come in any size you’d like. The weights are: 34g for mid (vs 122g) and 22g for span (vs 84g)

Any feedback would be great thanks!

https://hommage-bmxshop.ocnk.net/product/2015

« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 11:24:56 AM by metalbmxer »
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: Hommage Plastic BB’s
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 06:01:15 PM »
Hello. First of all I am not convinced about the weight comparison. A single spanish bearing weighs about 39 g. So it depends on which spacers you use or if you use a sleeve between the bearings.
I once tried the KHE plastic bearings and these have an shell made out of aluminium. In the end the weight saving was only about 20 g. And the were supposed to be used without a sleeve. But due to this I could not tighten the crank arm bolts enough (otherwise the crank was hardly spinning anymore) so they got loose every 15 min of riding... It did not work out for me at all.
Maybe these are different.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 02:48:53 PM »
I have the Ares plastic BB but never really used them.
These type of BB's have to be used without the center spacer and on pinch style cranks.
I guess the main advantage is you can adjust the amount of friction on them to prevent the cranks from ghost pedaling instead of having a super tight chain.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 01:06:09 PM »
Ah that's a good point to combine them with pinch style cranks! That makes sense...

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 11:33:13 AM »
I've tried the KHE & the 34R versions in the past. The biggest drawback to me is the fact that the inner diameter of the bushing/bearing seemed a little off or it would wear slightly from riding & just end up loose. That seems to be the challenge with combining a plastic composite & a steel or titanium Spindle. My 2 cents...