Author Topic: NEW- Alienation Venus freecoaster  (Read 2304 times)

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
NEW- Alienation Venus freecoaster
« on: December 26, 2021, 03:31:24 PM »
Alienation has a new freecoaster coming out based on the "Planetary Coaster Technology".

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: NEW- Alienation Venus freecoaster
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 03:33:59 PM »
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb_VUjIaNpc

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 08:22:09 PM »
Internals:

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 11:52:16 PM »
Thanks for posting!
It seems like it is similar to the time when the KHE hubs were out and soon after many companies offered hubs with these internals. No the planetary thing seems to be the trend. I still do not really understand what the benefit is...

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 02:15:43 PM »
Well one of the benefits of the planetary system is that it will never accidentally engage when rolling backwards.

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 08:23:54 PM »
I have been riding the BSD Revolution hub for a few months now. When I first got it, it would accidentally engage on me all the time (during rear wheel turbines it engaged all the time). I wanted to love the hub, but was really struggling with that. The lack of slack, the light weight, and how sturdy the hub felt was something that I wanted badly. Another guy that I ride with, who also has the BSD hub,  has not had this happen to him. So, I had hope that it could be resolved.

I ended up writing back and forth with Tal Mazar (inventor) and BSD. Apparently, this has been reported by other riders. Though, they didn't really have much solution for me. For what it's worth, Tal is a super cool dude and was great about talking back and forth. It sounds like  they're continuing to refine the hub. Does that mean a v2 will land? Who knows... But, it does seem like planetary is a 'game changer' in the hub world...since we see so many popping up now.

In a last ditch effort, I bought a brand new clutch mechanism. This was definitely not a cheap thing to try. But, I said 'whatever' and went for it. Since I've had the new clutch it has never accidentally engaged on me. The biggest difference that I noticed between the clutch discs was how easily the new one slid onto the axle. The original was a much tighter tolerance than the new one. Is that the only difference? I don't know. they look identical. Did I need to buy a new one? No, probably not. If I knew what I know now I would probably try to take some steel wool or something to the clutch that came with the hub and try to make it slide on more easily. Which I can still do since I have it.

Do I love the hub now? Yes, yes I do. I had been riding the Oddy Clutch (v1 and V2). While I do like that hub, I always had some 'slop' in the hub. I could grab my tire and push back and forth and feel a little side to side slop. I even tried replacing bearings. But the slop remained.

I think as time goes on and more and more riders try/switch to the planetary hubs they will probably figure stuff out/refine them. The only thing that I don't like about the planetary is that the pawls sometimes pop. It's such an un-nerving sound. It doesn't happen a ton. But, it does happen from time to time. Keeping the axle nuts super tight seems to help here...

Is this the perfect 'flatland' hub? That I don't know. It's super sturdy, smooth, and light. I almost wish that it had just a little bit of slack though (<= 15 degrees or so). I only ride flat and have no regrets with the hub...even if it didn't work perfectly out of the box. 

That's been my BSD Planetary Hub adventure...

Ride on!

Offline midschool

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 01:49:58 AM »

I think as time goes on and more and more riders try/switch to the planetary hubs they will probably figure stuff out/refine them. The only thing that I don't like about the planetary is that the pawls sometimes pop. It's such an un-nerving sound. It doesn't happen a ton. But, it does happen from time to time. Keeping the axle nuts super tight seems to help here...

This.  I just got my Venus less than a week ago.  It def is un-nerving sound to hear the pawls pop.  So far it is an adjustment when I've only ridden clutch style free coasters for the last few years.

You may be disappointed if you fail but doomed if you never try.  Some people advance through life.  Others remain stagnant and only dream of what they can achieve.  There is a difference between wanting and having, saying and doing.  Don't let those who fear progression keep you down or steal your vision.  Act out on your dreams.  Everything is real and ANYTHING is possible.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 08:34:53 PM »
The occasional "pop" is something they will never be able to resolve in this type of hub.

Back when Ezra and others came out with the cassette/freecoasters people complained.

These planetary hubs use the same type of retracting pawls.

When they go to engage there will be the random occasion when the pawls contact the tip of the teeth and ... POP ...

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 06:06:22 PM »
From one of Brant Moores videos they changed the o rings between the first run of bsd hubs and the newer versions ,Which include the alienation and colony . You should have contacted bsd to either get a replacement clutch or oring .