Author Topic: The "What are working on" thread - with videos!  (Read 5616 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
The "What are working on" thread - with videos!
« on: May 20, 2021, 08:37:56 PM »
Hello I'd like to start a thread where anybody can share a video of something they are working on. Are you proud of the progress you've made? Just want to show off? Really struggling and hoping somebody can give you some pointers? Whatever! I'd love to see it!

I'll get us started off. I started working on this way back in the late 90s but stopped riding before I nailed it. Since then I've tried it a few times here and there but haven't really started working on it until recently. I can do it much better than this video shows (I ride horrible anytime I turn on the camera) but I still haven't landed it yet. I know how to, I just haven't been able to put it all together yet:

https://youtu.be/yYUxbESCdDk

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: The "What are working on" thread - with videos!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 08:40:28 PM »
Here is another one I've been working on. I got pretty good at pedal time machines last summer and I've been working on turbine them after stepping up. Haven't landed it yet.

Now that I'm riding brakeless I am struggling to work on this because I am more timid/scared without the brake there. Feels like I've had to start over with this trick. It feels really good when I do it right though:

https://youtu.be/e5IWqqrUhfc

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 03:12:24 PM »
Looks like you are getting there, if it helps remember the brake isn't much good to you anyhow
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 04:59:27 PM »
smooth style man great rolling tricks. You've got that turbine half to hitchhiker working nicely! Timemachines never were my thing but looks like you got the feel for em
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline razorlab

• Forkglider
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 11:37:29 PM »
Love it. Awesome to see in-progress videos!

Last year I came back after over 20 years of not riding so I'm relearning everything! This year hasn't given much time to ride so my progress is really slow but I am just happy I am riding again.

Here is a video from December. I'm really just getting my balance back but this particular bit I eventually want to complete the full lash after the circle instead of putting my back wheel down and doing a smoothie out like in this video.

I've tried it a couple times but keep flying over the bars so any pointers would be welcome!

https://youtu.be/3v3j-k_s-FQ

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 02:10:24 AM »
Thanks Guys!

Looks like you are getting there, if it helps remember the brake isn't much good to you anyhow

True and I was not using the brake during the trick either, only at the very end as way to stop and then land the trick. But I've noticed I'm much more timid without it there, I find myself staying a ways back instead of boldly centering myself into the trick. I had a really bad injury from this trick back in the early 2000s, so there is a bit of a mental block I need to overcome.

When I had the brake on I was even throwing my leg over the headtube and placing it on the other pedal sometimes (pedal to pedal time machine). I haven't been able to bring myself to try it since removing the brakes. I am making progress and getting more comfortable up there everyday, hopefully soon I'll overcome the fear entirely. I also plan on putting the brakes back on after the summer, I usually switch back and forth every few months.

Razorlab: Awesome, thanks for sharing! Very nice, I think your well on your way to having your balance back, seemed damn good to me.

I don't think I've ever tried to ride out like your talking about, atleast not without using my brakes. Was upon a time I was able to do 2-3 whiplashes but relied heavily on the brake to do so. So I'm not sure what to say pointer wise

However, I have been slowly working my way to doing brakeless whiplashes. First thing I did was force myself to not only learn but get really comfortable with opposite hang 5 and opposite steam roller. I think this is going to help tremendously but I haven't actually tried to whiplash again now since.

I think in those "how to" videos Matthias did he recommend learning to roll forward in that position (like a steam roller except your hands are on the bars, and the frame is in front of you). Get good rolling it forward on both regular foot and then opposite foot. Start to work on letting the frame swing back and forth as you roll forward, this will help improve balance and also teach you how to adjust your body to compensate for the frame as it moves around. This is something I've been trying and it does seem to help.

Offline razorlab

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 06:46:58 PM »
Thanks aliasdck!

I actually start on my opposite foot (left) and switch to my dominant foot (right). I've always been like that with my lashes. I know, it's weird but that's how I learned. I do hang fives with my right foot on the peg.

When I first started up again last year I figured if I was going to be basically relearning everything again I might as well work more on my non-dominant foot so I have been doing that a lot.

You can see me switch between the two more in this video from last November: https://youtu.be/nxgw-_GUhXI

I'll keep chipping away at it! Thanks again.

Offline Dmitry D.

• Forkglider
    • https://www.instagram.com/hagalazi/
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 09:55:51 PM »
Working on barride crackpacker for a some last years.  ::)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 12:14:26 AM »
Thanks again razorlab for contributing. Hopefully some more people chip in, with warmer weather hitting a lot of places I bet tons of people are out working on stuff now, so share darnit! (Unless it's a super top secret trick of course, lol)

I'm gonna try to post a couple more things in the hopes it'll keep this alive and also hopefully encourage some more participants.

Working on barride crackpacker for a some last years.  ::)

I will send you a free cookie if you pull it. Will be oatmeal raisin though sorry I already ate all the chocolate chip ones.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 01:36:06 AM »
Here are two more that I shot last weekend, come on guys I'd love to see more from you:

1) When I was a teenager I had the luxury to ride with Ross Smith from time to time. He would often do a hang nothing for the length of the parking lot (which was pretty long) as a way to warm up when he first got to the spot. I was in awe and I really looked up to him and his riding. I quickly learned hang nothings after that and now I continue his tradition of doing them as a warm up, it's a great way to get the arms and core warmed up and really gets me in the zone as far as balance goes. Now I am working on them in clockwise circles, starting to get the hang of it but the slope of my street requires me to constantly adjust as I go round and round. Hoping to be able to turbine them (with maybe a kick of the tire in front of the fork as I do maybe) not sure yet. They are very tiring, I can only do a handful of tries each day.

When I land in the video I do so with my weight on the handle bars and so they shift back a bit and made a squawk sound (the sound didn't make it into the video very well). Unfortunately this new sequence stem design just cannot be tightened enough to keep the bars from moving in instances like this. It holds well most of the time for me but it's just does not clamp as good as other stems I've tried, and I get it tightened as much as I possible can with my Allen key. The bars tend to move in hard crashes or landings like this:

https://youtu.be/Zgw5Y-o_UO0

2) This is a new position for me, still getting comfortable with it. It feels really cool when I get it right though, I am excited to start working it into a routine. For now I mostly step in and out of the trick, I have managed to ride in a couple times from switch footed peg wheelie but it still is sketchy as hell. Haven't figured out the ride out or a switch to another trick yet. Plan to start working on it on the opposite side of the bike as well:

https://youtu.be/FZuw-1_CBYw

Now I wanna see what you got!

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 12:13:46 AM »
I just started working on snake spins. Still haven't gotten locked in; basically it turbines fw as soon as the backwards roll starts. I think I'm pulling too much on the bars. Any tips?

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 05:42:13 PM »
I just started working on snake spins. Still haven't gotten locked in; basically it turbines fw as soon as the backwards roll starts. I think I'm pulling too much on the bars. Any tips?

dope JM good luck getting those, experimented briefly with them over 3 years ago but never stuck with them. need to get back on it I think!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Doses

• Forkglider
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 03:17:23 PM »
Working on connections that aren't in my tricktionary
1) Hang Five to Steam
2) Backwards Hang Five to fork wheelie
3) Whiplash to Hitchhiker
4) Hang Five to halfpacker
5) Karl Cruiser to halfpacker
6) Hang five to whiplash
7) Dump truck to fudgepacker no scuff
8) Circle K
9) Opposite cross foot halflash
10) Cross foot hitchhiker

The past few years I've concentrated too much on what I can do rather than what I can't.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 05:11:53 PM »
Awesome everyone, I'm glad to see even more participation in this thread. Please feel free to add a video or two! I may be doing so myself soon , I just need to dial in a few things first....

I have been very focused on improving my form when riding the last month or two. I am standing on the peg in a better position where there is better balanced/distribution between the various leg muscles. In the past I was always standing too near the toes and was relying too heavily on the quadriceps. This change alone has made drastic improvements in how comfortable tricks feel and how much control I feel I have over my body and bike. I cannot believe I have been riding "wrong" for all these years, it's like my eyes have finally been opened and great possibilities lay ahead.

I am also focusing on maintaining proper posture while riding and have begun doing exercises to help improve my posture in general. This is still in its infancy and so I still have a long way to go, especially considering I have almost half a lifetime of bad posture to correct...

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2021, 07:50:54 PM »
Awesome everyone, I'm glad to see even more participation in this thread. Please feel free to add a video or two! I may be doing so myself soon , I just need to dial in a few things first....

I have been very focused on improving my form when riding the last month or two. I am standing on the peg in a better position where there is better balanced/distribution between the various leg muscles. In the past I was always standing too near the toes and was relying too heavily on the quadriceps. This change alone has made drastic improvements in how comfortable tricks feel and how much control I feel I have over my body and bike. I cannot believe I have been riding "wrong" for all these years, it's like my eyes have finally been opened and great possibilities lay ahead.

I am also focusing on maintaining proper posture while riding and have begun doing exercises to help improve my posture in general. This is still in its infancy and so I still have a long way to go, especially considering I have almost half a lifetime of bad posture to correct...
That's very interesting about the foot position. Will try to do some experiments with that myself.