Author Topic: Wood to cover floor  (Read 6193 times)

Offline Burlington Spencer

• Hitchhiker
Wood to cover floor
« on: October 24, 2021, 11:20:07 PM »
I have very rough unfinished concrete in part of my house. I’d like to put down plywood or something to ride on until the floors get finished. Any recommendations as far as thickness of wood, type, means of securing it? The floor is fairly level but not perfect, it has a few waves. Thank you!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Wood to cover floor
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 02:46:08 PM »
Ive ridden particle board before and it was great. you can get the 4' x8' sheets at any home depot or lowes
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 02:59:49 PM »
Thanks!

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 03:43:12 PM »
I used tongue and groove OSB board then used fasteners on the corners plus grip tape on the seams.
You look like Marty McFly!

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 04:10:26 AM »
That’s amazing! Thanks for the tip

Offline fltmutt43

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 07:40:05 PM »
OSB BOARDINGS ARE COOL AND NICE TO RIDE ON ... yeah unfortunately as my backyard
is not big enough to put in a personal riding spot and so many riders are putting those in
now and they do not even have to leave their houses to ride!

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 06:25:16 PM »
I used tongue and groove OSB board then used fasteners on the corners plus grip tape on the seams.

I've gotten some tongue and groove OSB board from Home Depot and it really seems like a great product for this once properly setup. Want to say: Thanks for the suggestion, I'm finally gonna have an indoor spot to ride in on rainy days now. So excited!

Now a question: One side of the OSB board is smoother and one side is rougher. Which side are you riding on? Doing research into OSB board, it is intended to be installed with the rougher side facing up so that there is more traction when walked on. I tried riding on both sides and I like the feeling of both, can't decide which I like better! If I had a large enough space I'd have a full section of rough and one of smooth as well. Unfortunately my riding area is only 16 feet x 16 feet (4.89 meters x 4.89 meters) so I must choose one. I'm thinking of going with the rougher side facing up, then I can also sand it smoother if so desired...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 06:27:57 PM by aliasdck »

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 04:43:13 PM »
It's been a few years - I think I ended up with the rough side down with the thought it would grip the concrete more and slide less. I like the idea of doing both.
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 09:12:14 PM »
So the OSB board I used ended up working out pretty well in my garage, I’ve had it installed almost a year now. Ended up anchoring it to the floor with concrete anchors so that it would stay in place. No issues so far with it warping or anything but I keep it as dry and clean as possible.

I’ve found vacuuming it with a cheap vacuum set on the lowest (least tall setting) to really help keep it clean plus the action of the spinning vacuum bristles seems to cause a bit of a microfiber scratching of the wood surface which seems to improve the feel of the floor when riding on it afterwards (I’m assuming due to the micro scratches/resurfacing this essentially causes).

Occasionally I do need to mop it but since it’s just bare wood. I carefully use minimal amount of warm water with a bit of ammonia mixed in. I only mop small sections at a time then dry with a towel to further aid in removing any dirt. This does an excellent job of cleaning any any accumulated dirt/grim.

Does anyone have any experience with adding any kind of stain or sealant to such a floor (in respect to how it feels to ride on afterwards?) just curious if there is a good option out there since I do plan to keep this wood floor installed for many years to come, im starting to think treating it someway may be necessary to keep it in good condition.