Author Topic: Hoffman Big Daddy Original Vs New. Questions from a new flatlander.  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Beacon

Howdy. I am trying to get into flatland and have been looking at the Big Daddy. Would love to find an original or morales but can't afford a collectors price. I want something from my childhood so the big daddy or morales would be it. I'm wondering if the new re issue is just as good geometry wise as the old one or maybe better. Anyone have experience with both? I am 6 foot tall so would the 19.75 or 20.5 tt be best? Also would the new one be better for some street riding as well? I have a 97 EP that I am trying to get build up (still need some chrome double walls with freecoaster and 3/8 axle) but it's pretty damn heavy and I figure the Reissue might be better for weight. Anyways thanks for any advice.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Re: Hoffman Big Daddy Original Vs New. Questions from a new flatlander.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 02:09:06 AM »
Howdy. I am trying to get into flatland and have been looking at the Big Daddy. Would love to find an original or morales but can't afford a collectors price. I want something from my childhood so the big daddy or morales would be it. I'm wondering if the new re issue is just as good geometry wise as the old one or maybe better. Anyone have experience with both? I am 6 foot tall so would the 19.75 or 20.5 tt be best? Also would the new one be better for some street riding as well? I have a 97 EP that I am trying to get build up (still need some chrome double walls with freecoaster and 3/8 axle) but it's pretty damn heavy and I figure the Reissue might be better for weight. Anyways thanks for any advice.
Seems like you want old school geo. But even the guy who designed Big Daddy, Brett Downs said after riding new school geo the Big Daddy feels awful...I'd highly recommend an s&m dagger frame 20.5. Excellent all around frame with new school geo but if you're deadset on 90s geo have at it. Bmx museum is a good place to look for that.

Offline Beacon

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 09:56:10 PM »
Do you know if he said that before or after the reissue big daddy? The geometry on the new frames are different

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 02:06:06 AM »
Do you know if he said that before or after the reissue big daddy? The geometry on the new frames are different
He was referring to the 95 version. If you want to ride street too with it I'd recommend 20.5 tt for more leg room. In my case I'm 6'2 and ride 19.5 or less for flat only and 20.5-21 for street.

Offline dug

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 10:46:38 AM »
The new one has a longer chainstay length than most current frames which makes it feel more like an older frame in some ways. I think these frames are a good comfortable mix between old and new. I'm 5'9" and rode the 19.75 for flatland only.

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 03:57:31 PM »
I didnt like my new big daddy at all .The rear dropouts were spread out too wide ,Then if you tightened the rear wheel down without using a washer to shim things up it put the brake mount at a weird angle ,And the bb shell is a weird width on mine and the thing had serious flex