Author Topic: Sequence Hook V2 Stem  (Read 2786 times)

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
Sequence Hook V2 Stem
« on: May 10, 2021, 11:06:25 PM »
No matter how much I've tried, I cannot get this stem to clamp securely. I've watched the Pete Brandt install video, but the damned thing continues to slip. I even sanded off some of the paint where the stem contacts the bar. Tried running with a St. martin/ Liberte fork with WE Bicycles Gov bar. Ended up removing the stem after trying a hang 5 and nearly flying over the bars as they went fully forward. Couldn't even trust them to hold tough during a simple tail whip - slipped again. Ugh. Other stems, I have no issue with. Just this one.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: Sequence Hook V2 Stem
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 02:43:15 AM »
I had trouble at first too but I had to just tighten the two Allen bolts down really tight (as tight as I could possibly get them) and so far it hasn't move since. But I did it a specific way: When first assembling the stem onto my bike/bars I made sure to loosely tighten both Allen keys the same amount. Then I just went back and forth between them tightening each one a little at a time (always the same amount so that they got tightened equally). Once the Allen bolts start getting hard to turn I made sure to only tighten a little bit, like a 1/4 turn at most, then repeat on the other one. Kept doing this where I made sure I was always tightening each one the same amount, back and forth until I couldn't turn them at all anymore. Hasn't moved since.

I also made sure that the fork stem, bar clamp stem area and all inside surfaces of the stem were very clean with simple green, so no grease or anything. Didnt sand anything, original paint is still on all parts, etc. My fork is an odyssey f-zero and my bars are WeBicycles Gov. Both are still relatively new, no ovalizing or anything yet on fork stem.

For what it's worth I haven't watched this Pete Brandt video so I have no idea what his advice was. I'm gonna go watch it incase I should be doing something different.

I've also considered using a different tool so that I can tighten them down even more if needed but so far haven't had the need. Currently just using a regular ole Allen key. Was thinking of one of these two tools, would just have to be careful not to over tighten:

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:11:11 AM »
I had trouble at first too but I had to just tighten the two Allen bolts down really tight (as tight as I could possibly get them) and so far it hasn't move since. But I did it a specific way: When first assembling the stem onto my bike/bars I made sure to loosely tighten both Allen keys the same amount. Then I just went back and forth between them tightening each one a little at a time (always the same amount so that they got tightened equally). Once the Allen bolts start getting hard to turn I made sure to only tighten a little bit, like a 1/4 turn at most, then repeat on the other one. Kept doing this where I made sure I was always tightening each one the same amount, back and forth until I couldn't turn them at all anymore. Hasn't moved since.

I also made sure that the fork stem, bar clamp stem area and all inside surfaces of the stem were very clean with simple green, so no grease or anything. Didnt sand anything, original paint is still on all parts, etc. My fork is an odyssey f-zero and my bars are WeBicycles Gov. Both are still relatively new, no ovalizing or anything yet on fork stem.

For what it's worth I haven't watched this Pete Brandt video so I have no idea what his advice was. I'm gonna go watch it incase I should be doing something different.

I've also considered using a different tool so that I can tighten them down even more if needed but so far haven't had the need. Currently just using a regular ole Allen key. Was thinking of one of these two tools, would just have to be careful not to over tighten:

This is great advice. I think the fewer bolts, the more you need balance in tightening...

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 04:36:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice, aliasdck. For now, I'm not going to use the stem. I may end up getting the Pete Brandt stem at a later date to replace it.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 06:06:51 PM »
I would just get a regular allen key vs using one of those tools. The socket attached to a socket wrench will overtorque and on the flip side you won't get squat for torque with that handle allen key.

To be honest, I don't think you're tightening the stem enough
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 07:02:16 PM »
Interesting topic! Many people are sceptical about every stem not using the traditional six bolts and this may have a reason. It could also be a question of tolerances. I once bought two Zion stems (the system with four bolts like the S&M, Bizhouse and so on). I had one anodised later. This one clamped my OG bar without any problem whereas the other stem did not clamp enough. And I did not tighten the anodised one more...
I think before you put your Sequence stem in the basement and let it collect dust, you can try to tighten it really hard. I mean if you destroy the thread you have the same result: You will not use it  ::) But maybe it works.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 08:13:09 PM »
never had any issue with my V1 slipping

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 02:46:36 AM »
I'll give it another go tomorrow once I buy a proper 6mm allen wrench for it. I'll post an update on the final verdict. And I'll probably have to get new bolts, as those heads are pretty soft and damage easily.

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 11:24:44 PM »
Decided to keep for a future build. The top half of the stem sits about 50 percent over the top of the steering tube, so no room for adjustment.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 04:50:07 AM »
Decided to keep for a future build. The top half of the stem sits about 50 percent over the top of the steering tube, so no room for adjustment.

Ah yes you do need a good amount of steer tube for those stems
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 07:02:52 AM »
You shouldn't have to over torque a stem to get it to work.And with the stems design it should not need that much torque to hold .My buddy had the of hook stem and he had the same problem .he over torqued his and it crushed his bars.

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 02:21:44 PM »
Damn. Sorry to hear about your friend's bars. That would suck.