Author Topic: Getting a video camera  (Read 2988 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Getting a video camera
« on: May 20, 2021, 08:16:17 PM »
I want to start to recording myself more to help and keep track of progression and hopefully start sharing videos online eventually.

I've just been using my iPhone but I'm thinking of getting a dedicated video camera instead. I don't know much about them but I will do research before buying anything.

Any recommendations? I don't need anything super high end, I'll probably shoot for something 'middle of the road' type. Anything I should consider or avoid? Like a GoPro or something similar? If so which one?

Thanks!

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: Getting a video camera
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 01:41:44 AM »
I guess I'm just gonna go with a GoPro hero. Maybe one of the older models like a 7 or 8 to save some money.

Offline Generationbmx

• Forkglider
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 09:22:12 PM »
I had some luck with a GOPRO but then I started running into 'Not Supported' issues with my Editor. I had to spend a lot of time finding ways around it so the inconvenience cause me to give up on them. So, I ended up going right back to my IPAD.

IPADS and Iphones are very convenient INMO because you can download your Editor of your choice from the Appstore and all the videos you take with your phone can go right into that. Also, the video quality on phones is getting really good.

Also, back to GOPROS, the batteries on them SUCK. They last no time at all. I have no experience with other types of cameras and film so I cant help you there. So, I guess my vote would be for you to use your cell phone!

B)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 06:08:01 PM »
Thank you, this is very helpful. One thing I really like is the ease and simplicity of doing everything on the iphone, I had not yet put much thought into how this would be different using a separate device.

The main reasons I was considering a separate device for recording are:

1) My Iphone storage is limited because I have a lot of photos and documents for work
2) I am often listening to music on my BT headphones that are connected to my iphone. The phone does not let me listen to music while recording video.

So I may be better off continuing to use my iphone and instead find alternate solutions like increasing cloud storage, off-line back-up, etc. I can probably just find another cheaper separate device to use for listening to music via bluetooth so that my phone can do the recording.

So thank you, this was helpful!