Author Topic: Conical washer location on heresy tubes  (Read 2193 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Conical washer location on heresy tubes
« on: April 04, 2021, 10:15:54 PM »
I got some heresy tubes but they come with a conical washer that I've never seen with any tubes that have this fully threaded design. Is the conical washer (pointed at by red arrow) intended to go inside the wheel so that it is between the tube and inside of the rim where the rim strip is, or should it go on the outside between the outside surface of the rim and the nut that I've pointed at in yellow. Thank you.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: Conical washer location on heresy tubes
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 10:30:58 PM »
For clarification, which one is intended, A or B? Thank you.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 07:59:05 AM »
it makes sense to me to be B

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 09:23:15 PM »
Maybe that's a replacable valve and actually an hexagonal nut is missing.
Can you post a pic of the valve with nothing on it, i mean without the red conical washer and the yellow nut ?

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 05:49:30 AM »
It's all built up already so I probably won't have the tubes out for awhile for another picture. I do not believe the valve is replaceable though, it seemed permanent and identical to other tubes I've used that have this same 'threaded all the way down' stem and they didn't come with this washer.

I ordered two of them and both came this way. Closer look at the flatlandfuel picture and the picture shows the same - a conical washer and a nut.

it makes sense to me to be B

That was my original thought as the washer is rounded so no sharp edges and shaped conical so it kinda fits that way well. Seems odd though, you would think they would make it out of something like rubber if that is where they intended it to be placed.

I ended up doing it like A just because they are new rims and so hopefully the washer will provide some protection from the nut scratching then when it's tightened. If anyone does know for sure though let us know.

Offline razorlab

• Forkglider
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 04:24:14 PM »
It's B, it's a guard to help the stem not get cut by the air fitting hole edges on the inside of the rim.

Personally, it's not needed, nor is the nut. I always file down the air fitting edges and make them smooth with no sharp edges.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 05:21:38 PM »
I don't know about this specific washer. But grinding down the edge of the hole in the rim on both sides (inside and outside) is highly recommended especially if you use non-metal valves.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 06:13:26 PM »
It's definitely B...run it if the valve stem rattles against the rim or you just want to be certain that it's centered. I've run my Ares either with or without it. Doesn't seem to make any difference.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 04:12:03 AM »
 thanks guys

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 10:44:04 PM »
you could run it without any of the 2, 99% of tubes come naked.Actually its the first time i see washers and stuff with this kind of tubes.
Not needed in my opinion,i think the only way they could serve a purpose is to keep the valve at 90 degrees.This happens anyways if you center the valve on the rim.I don't think that this is for puncture protection.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 10:58:03 PM by mal »