Author Topic: Can you learn Lardyards and the combos with a cassette?  (Read 3702 times)

Offline JamieRomoser

• Forkglider
Can you learn Lardyards and the combos with a cassette?
« on: February 11, 2021, 08:29:26 PM »
Can you learn lardyards, and the combos with a cassette?

Don’t have enough funds for a free coaster at the moment
Was wondering if it’s possible to still learn lardyards with a cassette?
I’d really like to learn the lardyard barspins and no handers but it seems the bike is way closer to you for those combos and probably cant do them with a cassette?

Ive been trying to learn them for maybe a week and a half now and I’m starting to get some subtle wrist pain is this normal? I’ve been thinking maybe since I have to dodge the pedal backs it’s making me learn my bike weird that’s putting strain on my wrist?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 09:25:52 PM by JamieRomoser »

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: Can you learn Lardyards and the combos with a cassette?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 02:01:21 AM »
It's probably going to be difficult with the pedals/cranks rotate around especially if the back end of your frame is short, like it is with most modern frames. I'm not sure if I would be able to do it on my bike if it had a cassette, the pedals would probably spin into the back of my leg that is standing on the peg. It may be possible to position and contort yourself so that the pedals/cranks can rotate freely but this is going to be extra difficult.

You could always take off your chain whenever you want to practice them, then you won't have to worry about your pedals moving whenever the backwheel rotate backwards. This could allow you to practice while saving up for a freecoaster.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 02:09:42 AM »
The wrist pain is not unusual when learning especially with the added stress of having to avoid the cranks. This will probably improve when you get a freecoaster (or take the chain off) but it may not disappear completely right away. As you get better with the trick you will learn how to balance it better to where you don't need so much stress/force applied to the bar. You can get to a point where most of the balance/control is done with your legs and body while your hand just lightly holds the bar.

It also helps to take some time off and let the wrist heal. You might not want to push it too far, you can injure your wrists pretty bad if your not careful. A lot of backwheel tricks cause me tennis/golf elbow like problems for me. I try not to push it too hard anymore because I have ignored it in the past and caused really annoying pain that took months to disappear.

Offline pwh4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 07:19:03 PM »
Those tricks were invented with a freewheel.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 01:11:40 PM »
... and 14.5" chainstays  ::)

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 10:29:32 PM »