Author Topic: Biggest Bars  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Rep300

Biggest Bars
« on: January 18, 2021, 08:20:47 AM »
Hey guys,

Wondering who rides the biggest bars for flat? I've heard Trevor Myer rode the 9.5 X 31" Haro Kneesavers for ages, because he's a pretty tall dude with long limbs. Does anybody around here flatland with bars that big?

I've got two sets of bars:

9.5" X 31" Haro Kneesavers
8" X 27" GT Tour Reissue 4Piece Bars

I started with the GT bars back in August, and they felt so small I changed to the big Haro bars in October. They felt far more comfortable and I love them. However, now I'm wondering if I'm going to want smaller bars as I get better? I do notice that it might be harder to do some of the stuff I want to relearn with the bigger bars. Makes you have to reach further for stuff like undertakers, etc. Or swinging your leg up and over for front wheel stuff.

Also, I am working on my hang fives, and the big bars are definitely more of a liability when leaping over the bars while bailing. ;D ;D ;D

What are your experiences with bar size as you skill level raised?

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
Re: Biggest Bars
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 12:11:29 PM »
i think you said it all yourself!

I too had problems because it made some tricks i wanted to relearn almost impossible,like ones that you have to step over the bars,and undertaker stuff that there was simply no space to step to the opposite side while holding the grip.

I went from midschool height to 8'' inch bars on the newschool bike.I won't get higher but i plan on my next bars to have the cross bar lower.

I don't think that you will be happy to go back to lower bars after you get used to the higher ones,not because you will like them better but because you will probably get used to them

9.5 is too high,unless you have trevor meyer's height

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Re: Biggest Bars
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 06:25:03 PM »
Hey guys,

Wondering who rides the biggest bars for flat? I've heard Trevor Myer rode the 9.5 X 31" Haro Kneesavers for ages, because he's a pretty tall dude with long limbs. Does anybody around here flatland with bars that big?

I've got two sets of bars:

9.5" X 31" Haro Kneesavers
8" X 27" GT Tour Reissue 4Piece Bars

I started with the GT bars back in August, and they felt so small I changed to the big Haro bars in October. They felt far more comfortable and I love them. However, now I'm wondering if I'm going to want smaller bars as I get better? I do notice that it might be harder to do some of the stuff I want to relearn with the bigger bars. Makes you have to reach further for stuff like undertakers, etc. Or swinging your leg up and over for front wheel stuff.

Also, I am working on my hang fives, and the big bars are definitely more of a liability when leaping over the bars while bailing. ;D ;D ;D

What are your experiences with bar size as you skill level raised?
I use 10 inch bars on both my bikes but I'm 6'3. I also have a Petronas stem which raises the bars another inch so I'm essentially riding 11 inch bars. I'm not sure yet whether I'll keep using the stem. 11 does feel a little high. I'm not very advanced though so as I try more advanced tricks I'll have a better sense of best bar height for me. But no way will I go below 9.5 , I'm pretty sure, due to lower back strain...