Author Topic: Wearing safety equipment  (Read 3482 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Wearing safety equipment
« on: January 25, 2021, 09:45:32 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has worn safety equipment when first working on a particularly difficult trick. I know shin guards and gloves are both pretty common, I used them myself when I was first learning flatland in the mid 90s. I'm more curious about wearing things like a helmet, elbow/knee pads and a cup.

Reason I ask is because I'd like to starting to work on pedaling deathtrucks but I'm worried about injuries in the beginning before I know how to safely bail. I'm gonna learn to roll it one footed from the pedal first (after I get more comfortable with doing it on the peg) by probably kicking off from a curb/chair or whatever, then perfect the ride in, and finally work my way up to pedaling it. For what it's worth I can already ride a unicycle but that is a bit different as it's a fixed gear so I don't know how helpful that'll be.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
Re: Wearing safety equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 10:11:48 PM »
I do wear depending on the trick i am learning.
I have light volley knee pads with extra added rubber from old shin pads,that saved me from a lot of stem hits and fall impacts. Knees don't get fixed easily..

I have shin pads with extra ankle protection (very useful) and wrist supporters (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sensiplast-wrist-brace-aircon-one-size-/222300164459) that double up as wrist impact protectors.I mainly bought these because i had some over the bars falls that landed me on the wrists,it took weeks for them to recover and it was painful.I couldnt ride of cource,couldnt even touch the grips.These little bones don't heal easily if broken.Many years ago when i was starting bmx i broke one of them on a grind and i was wearing a cast for over 6 months.I added some extra rubber on the inside area for extra absorption.I used to ride with gloves but replaced them with the wrist supporters.
And they are better because they also protect your hand from over stretching and twisting.

You got to take care of your parts,you can't buy new ones..
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:30:28 PM by mal »

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 10:36:31 PM »
Quote from: mal
You got to take care of your parts,you can't buy new ones.

Good point lol

If it turns out I cannot do it from kicking off then I'll probably just perfect regular dreathtruck on peg (can already do but need more practice, I'm gonna first perfect this anyways regardless of which approach I take), then learn to balance death truck on opposite foot and then step up on the pedal with my free foot. This shouldn't be too difficult to master considering what tricks I can already do on the back wheel but obviously is still going to take some time/dedication.

I believe I will be able to kick off and balance ok, I'll probably do it on a slight downward slope. I've already managed to kick off into the pedal time machine position, it's not easy but is doable and a pedal death truck isn't much different just straddling the head tube instead of being on the side of the bike.

It's definitely not gonna be easy, I'm mostly worried about how much damage I can do to myself before I get comfortable with bailing when needed.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:40:27 PM by aliasdck »

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 10:45:41 PM »
And also, thanks for the wrist impact protector recommendation, I think Im gonna get some as there are some times I could benefit from them. I once too have hurt my wrists pretty bad.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 09:25:10 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has worn safety equipment when first working on a particularly difficult trick. I know shin guards and gloves are both pretty common, I used them myself when I was first learning flatland in the mid 90s. I'm more curious about wearing things like a helmet, elbow/knee pads and a cup.

Reason I ask is because I'd like to starting to work on pedaling deathtrucks but I'm worried about injuries in the beginning before I know how to safely bail. I'm gonna learn to roll it one footed from the pedal first (after I get more comfortable with doing it on the peg) by probably kicking off from a curb/chair or whatever, then perfect the ride in, and finally work my way up to pedaling it. For what it's worth I can already ride a unicycle but that is a bit different as it's a fixed gear so I don't know how helpful that'll be.
I've started wearing elbow pads and sure enough the other day I crashed with my left elbow pad taking impact and avoided pain and injury...

Offline Yoda

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 02:57:19 AM »
Shin guards are always on when practicing anything grounded (both wheels on ground).  Shin, gloves, helmet, and depending on what I'm trying, knee and elbow pads, for anything that either wheel would come up.  I fell enough to know I need them.  I'm mostly old school, so it's rare to need more than my shins protected.
If riding you stop, die you will.  It's not how hard the tricks are, it's how you make them look that counts.