Author Topic: Need help, freecoaster with less pedal gap  (Read 4216 times)

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
Need help, freecoaster with less pedal gap
« on: January 03, 2021, 01:51:23 AM »
I ride the  Fareast freecoaster and hate it. So scetchy much gap. Which freecoaster will work with less gap? Thanx

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Re: Need help, freecoaster with less pedal gap
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 02:22:09 AM »
I ride the  Fareast freecoaster and hate it. So scetchy much gap. Which freecoaster will work with less gap? Thanx
Try the new BSD fc hub.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 10:54:03 AM »
KHE Grayhound adjustable freecoaster with adjustable slack.You can't go wrong with this.

You will need to apply some loctite after some time on the adjustment screw but thats not a big issue for what it offers,as it doesnt need any hub opening or wheel removement.
Its a great design idea.

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
  • You live for something or die for nothing....
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 08:36:12 PM »
Profile Zcoaster is another option.

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 11:04:24 PM »
Maybe I have a mega gap because of my ratio. 18- 9 t.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 11:50:47 PM »
Hey coaster, yes, a smaller gear ratio makes your gap bigger. But I assume you would not change that for having a smaller gap... I have a Federal V2 hub with the KHE adjustable gap. If you make it as small as possible you almost cannot roll backwards on the pedals anymore because the hub catches so quickly. Means: The gap is super small.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 09:20:48 AM »
I have a Federal V2 hub with the KHE adjustable gap
Good info!This means the axle from the Federal V2 and the one from the KHE Grayhound must be the same/interchangeable?Good to have options in case of emergency..!
Do you know any other freecoasters using the same KHE patent?

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 11:21:51 PM »
Hey mal, good question! After the "Geisha" hub from KHE was released they came with the "Reverse" a little later. The internals were pretty much the same as far as I know, just the axle and bearing were different. After these hubs being so successful, many companies came on the market with hubs using the KHE internals (I assume they paid some fee to KHE for doing that). One was Federal. The V2 came out before the Greyhound as far as I remember, but KHE had the Astern out before which was the first one with the adjustable gap and without knowing it I am pretty sure that for the Greyhound only the hub shell was changed. There are still many hubs on the market today where you can see that they use the same driver and cone nuts as the KHE hubs which makes me think that they have the KHE internals. But for some reason it is not mentioned anymore by most companies. So due to some small deviations in bearing size or parameters like this, one can not be sure that the parts can be exchanged. I would try to get in contact to the company itself to be sure.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 01:15:21 PM »
usefull info as always! I speculate that because the design with the adjustment bolt inside the axle is so unique there is a big chance that all the freecoasters that use this slack adjustment design actually have the same axle.Just my guess

Offline Rep300

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 07:58:33 AM »
I had Pat from FLF build me some wheels and I asked him to use a coaster with minimal gap. He put an AlienNation in and adjusted it for less gap. I'm super happy with it. The Stolen free coaster I had before was way too much gap.

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 05:14:21 PM »
Is there a way to reduce the gap in the FEC?
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 07:59:18 PM »
No. This Freecoaster sucks so much.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 09:30:12 PM »
No. This Freecoaster sucks so much.
I have it on both my bikes. It rolls super well and is very light. Very pleased with it. If you want no gap go for the BSD free night hub.

Offline razorlab

• Forkglider
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 02:00:05 AM »
I use a Ezra hub now. It has so much less gap compared to the normal clutch freecoasters. With the smallest clutch disc it's like nothing. I ended up with the middle sized disc but it still has MUCH less than the clutch based hubs.

This hub would be amazing if it wasn't for it making a super loud CLANK every 4th time I engage it.

If I wear headphones it's fine.

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 05:56:43 AM »
Yeah I remember I had one some years ago. Hard to find them now. Isn't the Salt plus the same hub?