Author Topic: 2021 WTP Utopia frame  (Read 13253 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: 2021 WTP Utopia frame
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2021, 11:24:21 PM »
Huh, I emailed kuntsform and let them know they need to update the bottom bracket specs for the 2021 WTP Utopia Hybrid on their website. They replied this morning insisting that they checked their stock and that what they found were mid bottom brackets not Spanish on their utopias. I think either the person who checked only looked at an older Utopia, like a 2019 or 2020, or that person measured the bottom bracket incorrectly like they measured the outside diameter instead of measuring inside diameter of the shell.

I replied with these photos showing measurements taken on the frame they sent me. I'm curious to hear back from them again. I'm not mad or looking for compensation, just hoping to get them to update the specs so nobody else makes the same mistake I did by wasting money on ordering the wrong bb kit.

I also sent this photo showing there is no way a mid bearing could fit:

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2021, 11:48:11 PM »
Huh, I emailed kuntsform and let them know they need to update the bottom bracket specs for the 2021 WTP Utopia Hybrid on their website. They replied this morning insisting that they checked their stock and that what they found were mid bottom brackets not Spanish on their utopias. I think either the person who checked only looked at an older Utopia, like a 2019 or 2020, or that person measured the bottom bracket incorrectly like they measured the outside diameter instead of measuring inside diameter of the shell.

I replied with these photos showing measurements taken on the frame they sent me. I'm curious to hear back from them again. I'm not mad or looking for compensation, just hoping to get them to update the specs so nobody else makes the same mistake I did by wasting money on ordering the wrong bb kit.

I also sent this photo showing there is no way a mid bearing could fit:

Unexcusable. I expect better from WTP....

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2021, 11:53:12 PM »
I think in this case kunstform just made a mistake as I don't believe they are affiliated with WTP other than them just reselling wtp frames along with other manufacturers frames and parts. I'll have a better idea when they reply.  But it would be massively helpful if wtp could finally update their website...

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2021, 06:02:03 AM »
Ok kuntsform said that the person who measured had a made a mistake. So they have updated the specs on their website, thanked me and gave me a € 20 voucher. Dealing with this company has been excellent all around, highly recommend. I'll get some pics up once it's built, hopefully by this weekend.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2021, 10:53:16 AM »
Could it be that the Utopia Hybrid frame uses Mid BB and the flatland version uses Spanish BB? You have the flatland version, right?

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2021, 12:31:35 PM »
Could it be that the Utopia Hybrid frame uses Mid BB and the flatland version uses Spanish BB? You have the flatland version, right?

No, the previous Utopias used midBB and they didn't update the new specs on the website.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2021, 03:18:41 PM »
Out~riding is correct.

And I have the Utopia hybrid version daddycool as I wanted the top tube length to be 20.5". The flatland version looks very nice but is too short for me unfortunately. My old Utopia has 20" top tube and was almost perfect but I've been experimenting over the last couple years and discovered a little longer is what seems to work best for me.

Spanish bottom bracket arrived in the mail yesterday. Should have it built up soon...

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2021, 06:32:27 AM »
Have had it built up for quite awhile and I'm absolutely loving this frame. I think I have finally found what frame dimensions are really a best fit for me in this frame. Everything just feels right for once.

I'll get a bike check up soon with some pics.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2021, 12:25:16 PM »
That sounds really good! Can't wait for the pictures! I will also have my modified frame built up soon.  :)

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2021, 12:03:22 PM »
I have the Hybrid version and I Love it .

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2021, 06:27:32 PM »
I have the Hybrid version and I Love it .

Noice! Same here, the flatland version is too small for me unfortunately as I love the way it looks. Which top tube length and color did pick for your hybrid version? I went 20.5" in black, couldn't be happier with it.

I'm gonna try to get my posted wig photos in bike check this weekend. I'd love to see some photos of yours built up if your up to sharing any.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2021, 07:05:02 PM »
Hey guys, by the way: My 2015 model (19.4" TT I believe).

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2021, 07:06:03 PM »
For me it is just a "spare bike" that I do not use regularly. Now show me yours!  :P

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2021, 07:36:30 PM »
Hey guys, by the way: My 2015 model (19.4" TT I believe).

That color matching frame fork and bars looks magnificent
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2021, 08:34:42 PM »
Reminds me of when I was trying to figure out what bb spacer for my big daddy .I emailed hoffman ,And Pat and both said it was the gold profile spacer...It wasnt ,I needed a trimmed down kink spacer to make it work (I could have used the spacers that came with my total bb but I had the kink one first and dialed it in )Seems like its always something anymore .