Author Topic: 2021 WTP Utopia frame  (Read 13250 times)

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: 2021 WTP Utopia frame
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2021, 10:37:03 PM »
I was going to wait until flatlandfuel or flat society got stock of the 2021 utopia hybrid before I ordered one, as I prefer to support our domestic flatland companies whenever possible, but I admit to getting too impatient... so I went ahead today and ordered one from kunst form . Hopefully they actually have it in stock as their website suggests and that delivery doesn't take too long.

I went with the 20.5" TT. Had a really hard time deciding between black or translucent purple but decided on black in the end. I'm excited, I love getting a new frame and this one is as close as I've been able to find to what I've discovered is my ideal geometry.

Edit: oh sweet I got a shipping notification already, I assumed it would take them a couple of days to get it out not ~16 hours. Now begins the long wait. Apologies for being annoying, just excited!

Friggin sweet I'm sure you are excited aliasdck and you can never go wrong w black. Problem with some of the louder colors is they can wear on you over time and become an eyesore. Happened to me with the space blue Strowler and mint green Matthias frame.

That is A+ customer service emailing you < 24 hours after purchase. Now I wonder how long it will take for overseas shipping. And the shipping costs???? Keep us posted man
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2021, 10:40:33 PM »
I curious how it will turn out for you!
By the way: I assume it has a Mid BB, right? I prefer spanish, but this is so rare today that I would be surprised if the would use it.
It is really a pity that WTP doesn't even have this stuff on their site. This tells me that they consider the flatland family to be so small that it is not even worth to advertise flatland specific products. Another example: Did you try to find the F-Zero fork on the Odyssey site? At least it is not listet under forks... As if this would be kind of underground stuff for a dozen of people in the world... This is how far we are now.

Daddycool hell yeah man I love spanish. Mid BB is completely unnecessary and a lazy design choice. For that reason alone I am supporting Heresy--ok well not the only reason the geo owner and image are tops in my book as well. Apparently Spanish is around 3-4 oz lighter than a mid BB when factoring in bearing size and tubing differences.

Yeah flat parts don't get too much mention on the bmx co sites. I know that Pat @ Flatfuel ponied up like $10,000 to get another batch of those forks made. There was a large minimum order so Patrick actually owns all the stock of them hence Odyssey not posting them on their site

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2021, 11:18:43 PM »

Friggin sweet I'm sure you are excited aliasdck and you can never go wrong w black. Problem with some of the louder colors is they can wear on you over time and become an eyesore. Happened to me with the space blue Strowler and mint green Matthias frame.

That is A+ customer service emailing you < 24 hours after purchase. Now I wonder how long it will take for overseas shipping. And the shipping costs? ??? Keep us posted man

So far I'm very happy with kuntsform service. They shipped right away and then it made it out of the border fast too. So it's already on its international part of the journey. They shipped via DHL package which is then handled by USPS once it gets into the US. According to my research, typical door to door times for such is somewhere around 2-3 weeks though with the pandemic it may likely take longer.

Originally I paid $506 USD total and was ok with this. Breakdown looks approximately like this (in USD):

Frame          $393
Shipping        $38
German VAT   $75
Total ~         $506

At the time I didn't realize what the term VAT meant, I thought it had something to do with import fee. I'm unfamiliar with ordering international, almost never have done so, so I'm kinda clueless lol. Turns out German VAT is tax (duh) so it doesn't apply to me. Kuntsform automatically refunded me the $75 a day after I placed the order.

So I ended up only paying ~ $435 for the frame with shipping. This is probably about what I would have paid for it from somewhere out of state like flatlandfuel, assuming they end up setting the price at like $399 + shipping.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2021, 02:30:08 PM »
That sound good! But don't you need to pay customs when it comes to the US? I ordered from flatlandfuel here and there (the other way around so to say) and most of the time did not need to pay additional taxes or customs. But later I needed to pay customs for my London Bikes bars from the US and the Impurity gyro from Singapore. The parcel is stopped from the customs and I needed to pick it up there and pay some fees (around 15 % or so).

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2021, 10:10:30 PM »
It's possible daddycool, I don't know yet. I have very little experience ordering international, only one other time I bought the removable brake tabs/posts for my 2019 wtp Utopia from somewhere overseas, but this was an inexpensive small item and it made it through customs without having me having to pay anything additional. It's possible I will have to for this frame, I really don't know. If I do, that's ok as it's still worth it to me. I still have the ~$75 that kuntsform refunded me so I could use it towards that if needed.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2021, 05:31:13 PM »
Please let us know. I may order at flatlandfuel again so I may see what it is the other way...

Offline razorlab

• Forkglider
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2021, 05:47:28 PM »
I've ordered all sorts of car parts from overseas.

If it's through FedEx you can get it in even a couple of days. Which is amazing.

The fastest so far is 2 days from Germany to California. This is all pre-covid so ymmv.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2021, 08:08:56 PM »
"DHL package" is what they are using, seems to average like ~2-3 weeks pre covid from what I've seen searching the internet. USPS handles it once it gets into the US including delivery. It was shipped on 3/30 and made it out of Germany on 3/31. I dont expect any further tracking updates until it hits US customs, hopefully within a few days, and then hopefully it doesn't spend an eternity in that black hole

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2021, 01:26:35 AM »
"DHL package" is what they are using, seems to average like ~2-3 weeks pre covid from what I've seen searching the internet. USPS handles it once it gets into the US including delivery. It was shipped on 3/30 and made it out of Germany on 3/31. I dont expect any further tracking updates until it hits US customs, hopefully within a few days, and then hopefully it doesn't spend an eternity in that black hole

Great man keep us posted!

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2021, 06:36:21 PM »
They shipped on March 30th and it looks like it just made it through customs early this morning (April 11th). Expected delivery is this Friday April 16th. If so then it'll be in just a little over 2.5 weeks door to door.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:40:26 PM by aliasdck »

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2021, 11:05:15 AM »
Sweet making good progress. Seems like the new "hot" frame to be released

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2021, 01:54:38 AM »
Just got delivered. Unfortunately I'm like 400 miles away on business this week so won't see it until I get home on Friday night but glad it made it. Took about 16 days. I'll get some pics up once it's built.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2021, 10:58:25 PM »
Ok before I said the bottom bracket was Mid but I now I don't think this is right. The place I bought the bike from had mid bottom bracket listed under the specs but looking at the frame now it must actually be Spanish as the mid bottom bracket bearings I bought for this frame will not fit, lol. The bottom bracket shell looks identical to the mid bottom bracket shells I have on my other frames, just slightly smaller in diameter.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2021, 12:56:52 PM »
I actually posted the specs a few posts back and mentioned it was spanish BB, but I did only find them on a japanese webshop. WTP still hasn't updated there website....

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2021, 08:22:54 PM »
Yea you did out~riding, and I should have looked into closer when I read your post back then. Thanks, by the way. I just figured that the kunstform website had the correct info since they had the frames on hand. Oh well, now I got a spare mid bb kit on hand and the correct Spanish one coming from flatsociety sometime later this week. Hoping to build it up by this weekend.